Our world through the eyes of a Thermal Imager

Walterk

Enlightened
Very interesting, thx.
Please more leds ! Unique picturing the heatsinking and thermal path. Hard to understand / believe, FLIR doesn't lie.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have repaired this thread from the timestamp glitch that occured earlier this year.
Post #1 is now Post #1 again. The posts related to this are quoted below:

Is that a Maserati?

Looks like a Maserati to me. I can't pick the model... Maybe a Quattroporte? Now if you were looking at me through a thermal imager, I'd be green all over...

Edit... what's going on... why are my posts appearing at the top of threads? Maybe it's just looking that way to me/my browser?

samgab: Might be a database issue. I had gotten a "database error" while posting my last reply, and my thread seems to have disappeared from main view in the forums, haha.

Your post does appear at the top for me as well.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Figured I may as well point up into the sky and see the what the imager has got to show!
AWkoi.jpg
This one amazes me. How can the sky have such a wide variety of temps?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
This one clearly shows how clouds tend to reflect heat back towards the earth. Which explains why a cloudless night tends to be a chillier night.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I looked at the image of the CFL bulb again and I realized that this shows why the phosphor tends to bake off or turn black on the insides of the tube. The inside surface is way hotter!

Canuke

Enlightened
That thermal flashlight thing gave me a cool idea.

I was at the NAB show last week, and there was a company showing their thermal imager. $24K, and it shot 1024x768 video between 8 and 14 microns. Its output was in 256 levels of gray; I watched my Quark Mini heat up using it.

My idea: hook up one of these to an LED-based pico projector, and align it to the IR camera viewing angle so that the projector illuminates the camera's field of view. Presto -- a realtime heat scanner that directly projects the heat output of a surface right back onto that surface. You'd be able to directly "see" a hot water pipe right on the wall or under the floor. Hot objects get lit brightly (or in red if you run the video through a processor first), cool ones don't.

The artistic potential would be huge too.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That thermal flashlight thing gave me a cool idea.

I was at the NAB show last week, and there was a company showing their thermal imager. $24K, and it shot 1024x768 video between 8 and 14 microns. Its output was in 256 levels of gray; I watched my Quark Mini heat up using it.

My idea: hook up one of these to an LED-based pico projector, and align it to the IR camera viewing angle so that the projector illuminates the camera's field of view. Presto -- a realtime heat scanner that directly projects the heat output of a surface right back onto that surface. You'd be able to directly "see" a hot water pipe right on the wall or under the floor. Hot objects get lit brightly (or in red if you run the video through a processor first), cool ones don't.

The artistic potential would be huge too.

LOL

You don't need a projector light to see hidden hot water pipes, etc, if you have an infrared camera. The heat is supplied by your target. For example, if I want to see a break in a radiant floor system, I can turn on the radiant heating system, so that hot water starts to flow through the pipes under the slab/floor...and I will see a picture of the heat coming up through the floor...it will look like the water in the pipes...and/or like the hot water leaking out and pooling under the floor.

You can set most FLIR, etc, cameras to display the temperature as a color...any color you want. I like B&W myself....and might make hotter temps show as whiter/lighter, and colder temp stuff look darker, etc....but I could assign say a spectrum orientation, to do the same thing.

:D

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think what Canuke is describing is using the projector to 'paint' the thermal image directly upon the water pipe, causing the pipe itself to glow visibly as observed directly (not looking through the imager). An interesting mix of science and art.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool pictures!

Btw, it's a photographic evidence that in a multi-stacked audio system (separates), the power amplifier (the hottest) should ideally be on top. But it won't look good I guess.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I think what Canuke is describing is using the projector to 'paint' the thermal image directly upon the water pipe, causing the pipe itself to glow visibly as observed directly (not looking through the imager). An interesting mix of science and art.

OK, I get what you mean know...NOT seeing it on the camera screen, but projected onto the target itself.

:hitit:

Karl666

Newly Enlightened
Here are a few shots taken with my FLIR P640 ( 640 x 480) imager. I qualified as a thermographer a few years ago and find myself out and about with it on a regular basis.

This shows a wasp nest I found under the window next to the sat dish. The heat from the nest can be seen in red

6967172387_5104f91667_z.jpg

This next one shows missing insulation in the bedroom ceiling. The darker areas shows the problem area.

6967172053_0eec4b46e8_z.jpg

The image below shows the position of the wood frame behind a dry lined wall. You can see the nails used to fixed the plaster board

6966337359_15fee8603c_z.jpg