Overall you guys like the Seoul better or the Cree?

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy said:
The Seoul cannot go over 1 amp.
The Cree, I can push it to 2 amp.

I have a custom Mag that Mac built for me, that has a Seoul being pushed at ~1.5amps on high. The light of course has excellent heatsinking, and I have had no problems with the light what-so-ever. I am not sure if a Seoul could handle 2amps, but I know with proper heatsinking that they can handle 1.5amps :)

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may not have the need to drive the LED to 2 amps, but it is nice to be able to do it. That is also the reason to drive it so you don't have to carry more LED lights. That's like saying I will just carry 2 dozen minimag lights, so it will be bright enough when I need it.
Long John said:
That's not correct.

All depends on a propper heatsink with a good thermal path, right vf and well constructed configuration.

To overdrive any Led up to 2Amps, I personally have no need for.
When I'll have the use for more light, I'll take my multiple Led-lights.

Best regards

____
Tom

GrooveRite

Enlightened
Can you guys believe that I STILL haven't bought my first Cree or Seoul based light!?!?! Yup, I'm just holding out and waiting for the right one, lol. Threads like these are helpful though so thanks everyone!

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
MattK said:
SSC for retrofit and lower current lights.

Cree for purpose-built and higher current lights.

Good answer, I have to agree.

Hopefully Luxeon has a new emitter by fall that is better than both. At that time I might be ready to mod again. :grin2:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My brightest lights that equal a WWOS at 1 amp to led, are my Seoul P4 modded lights. That said I think that figures are not in regarding the ability of the Seoul P4 to handle 1amp and above without degrading. NewBie started the study of the Seoul P4 and we need to get him back on CPF. I am not sure that he left voluntarilly.

Bill

greenstuffs

Banned
I'm pretty much even, Cree have more throw at the same ma than Seoul but SSC have better flood hard pick. Overall the cree seems to have a greenish tint so i'd pick seoul ;) but i will not be dissapointed with either provided the cree has a good tint.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
And to think, CREE could probably lose the ring artifact just by making that aluminum ring black. But that would hurt their efficiency numbers.
IMHO a better way would be to actually make the "ring" a parabolic shape, so that instead of being a vertical ring, it would actually be shaped like a parabolic reflector, and actually aid in projecting light toward the center inherently. Another possibility (probably easier) would just be to spray a frosted coating over it, that way instead of projecting a specualr "image" of the ring, it would project a fuzzy "halo" that would just blend into the spill and probably be more useful.

Last edited:

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
Newbie's tests of one Seoul P4 U bin:

sp4tints.png

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well if I was to get a Cree A or AA light, I think I'd get one of the Fenix's although the Lit-flux (I think I called it the wrong name) with programmable UI looks interesting but what about a single or double AA Seoul light? I know Huntlight makes them. I have a regular Huntlight A2 and it's so-so. It generally works ok but I had to take the switch apart once to get it to stop flickering and it can be fussy about making sure the head and tail are on completely tight or it sometimes will dim. I liked my L1P better, so I'm hesitant about getting another Huntlight.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Good answers here, IMHO. Peter Gransee has some insightful comments on LED's in his ArcLS thread as well.

Ultimately, I don't think there is a "better" as much as there is a "more appropriate" which is based, as others have suggested, on the particular application in mind.

If the manufacturers have the time and inclination to become fluent in all of these new LED's and that includes the Edixion (sp) as well as Rebel and likely the K2 down the road then they will be in a position to fine tune a light and select the LED that best aids in accomplishing their design goals. I expect the successful manufacturers will be those whose design goals are in sync with their respective market's demands and requirements.

On CPF, we may continue to be focused at the LED component level for some time but I believe for the general market and even us, as the technology matures (even with the advent of brighter sources), the view will back up to the complete package and overall performance of the light itself.

As a stand alone or at the LED package level itself, I think the Cree is a superior product to all other presently available LED's. It material choices, manner of construction and resistance to degradation from a hostile environment make it quite a robust part, IMHO. As soon as you package the LED in a host that can provide both thermal and environmental protection to the LED, the Seoul has some advantages in beam form and management in many applications.