• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Oveready DIP P60 8 Mode Group Dropin

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks sir.
Oveready says next mode down from 100% is 30%, but it sure looks like 50% to me, Oh well.

Ran at 100% for a couple minutes last night, it got really hot.

Used by itself on night walks, the color temperature/tint is pleasing even for a 5000K person like myself. It's funny because of how the eye/brain accomodates.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have an idea of the Lux rating on these? I'm trying to decide between a Malkoff hound dog 18650 and one of these and a host. Comparable throw?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hound dog will clean its clock. Compare the size of the reflectors. This current DIP is not really a dedicated thrower. It is a general purpose with good reach and a pleasing tint for those who like 4000K. It would be nice if Oveready offered a redomed XPG2 dropin with a good tint. That would be a thrower in my opinion, though still not enough for some. Maybe they can find some other emitter with a good quality of light. Our terrain where we live does better with a minimum Emisar D1s or Convoy C8 each with XPL HI.

Curious about other members not giving feedback. Perhaps they want to spend more time with it before commenting.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the best I could do for beamshots. I'm away for training right now so my hotel room is all I have.

https://youtu.be/6fmOtlG0b_Y

Oveready DIP - Clear Narrow - 219C - High
5b08c205d0b9db3920024ed701549956.jpg

Oveready BOSS - Clear Narrow - XPL HI - Level 28
a322d29542843466114014f697d6a364.jpg

Exposure is locked for both pictures.

In summary... I love it. I'm using a Oveready Z70 host with the deep carry clip tailcap and it's really a home run.

The beam pattern is excellent. It has a very defined hot spot with two distinct levels of spill. The first area of spill directly around the hot spot has a slightly square shape and is approximately twice the size of the hot spot. The second area of spill is very large, circular and provides enough light to ALMOST illuminate things in your periphery.

The frosted narrow optic cleans up the spill and makes the hot spot slightly larger and less defined. If you really want throw the clear narrow works well. If you're a white wall hunter you'll love the frosted narrow optic.

I've noticed a slight delay from when you activate the tailcap switch to when the light actually turns on. In use this is not at all noticable or a hindrance, just an observation I made.

One thing I would like to see is a version of this dropin made for hard-use. Looking at the backside of the dropin does not scream durability like the rest of Oveready's products but I highly doubt I'll have any issues with it. And if I do, I don't think there is a company out there with better customer service [emoji106]

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
No real feedback beyond what's been posted. Mine went straight into mg Oveready Fire C2, as a two mode. Minor artifacts around the periphary as has been noted with the narrow clear optic, and it's plenty bright on high. Nice tint with the 219c, it's a nice addition to the stable. 👍

scout24

Flashaholic
For me, general use. Good out to 100 yds with nice spill for walking up close. I haven't done a runtime test yet. It may displace my Elzetta Bravo AVS as a dedicated truck light, not sure yet. I like the idea of being able to change up the mode settings manually on the fly. Not a thrower per se, but it gets out there. I'm slowly rebuilding a collection, so nothing is replacing anything at the moment. .

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, general use. Good out to 100 yds with nice spill for walking up close. I haven't done a runtime test yet. It may displace my Elzetta Bravo AVS as a dedicated truck light, not sure yet. I like the idea of being able to change up the mode settings manually on the fly. Not a thrower per se, but it gets out there. I'm slowly rebuilding a collection, so nothing is replacing anything at the moment. .
How does the dip's beam compare to that of the elzetta avs?

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks- I am looking for somewhat of a thrower to supplement my M61N mostly for fun.

I am debating between this, an M61T or a convoy c8 from mountain electronics. I like the optics options, the color and the ability to switch mode groups on the DIP and I have an empty P60 host...

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
If durability isn't absolutely critical I would choose this over a M61T. The beam pattern is similar but you get better tint and a flexible UI.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Durability is not my focus as this would be more for fun and to round out my floodier lights.

I really like the tint and flexibility of this platform. Looks like I am going to order one soon!

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does this fit in to your lights? (Thrower,general use) Does it replace anything?

Sounded like this question was directed to scout24, but it is such a good one that it would be nice to hear others respond as well. It may take more time for members to be able to answer this, however.

It's looking like this DIP will stay in a favorite Oveready host: a Z2 natural anodized, with the question of which bezel to use. The switch is made for higher amperage and has been enhanced by PFlexPRO, which means it was disassembled, smoothed and lubed for maximum conductivity and long life. This will replace an XPL HI Advanced Program, 5000K single emitter dropin made by PFlexPRO, because I now have a quad from Randy with the same (slightly improved tint) XPL LED's and the Crescendo UI in a (now discontinued) 22650 host made by Oveready.

It it will be used on crepuscular walks, when a paired thrower/area-light is not desired; mostly predawn, walking into morning light when a flashlight will not be needed for much of the time; Also late afternoon walks when there is a probable likelihood illumination will not be needed and yet it is good to be prepared. For this reason, light weight is preferred so the bezel choice will probably be an Oveready Smoothie with a titanium ring.

This will also be used as a reference color temperature and tint to compare with other light sources.

Guessing 65% of CPF members and 85% of guests will consider the above comments quite daft... hey, no problem.

ven

Flashaholic
I have realised something ........

I need to go on an OR hi cri walk with Kitro at night :cool:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm up for that, as long as you don't snore on the plane.
Can imagine Mrs. Yeti's face if I announced I was flying to New Mexico to look at a torch? With a bloke I met on a Torch Forum?
The mind boggles.
P

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be an honor, just bring some of your outstanding torches, both of you.

Last night the wife had (her usual) Nitecore TIP CRI on a Nite-Ize modified head strap, the DIP was in my hand, while 8 year old son was sporting a green lightsaber AND a blue lightsaber connected to each other like a staff (fun when he spins it around fast) while the venturesome canine was wearing a 2 inch wide, 3M Diamond Grade reflective tape in the awesome color BLUE for an easy-to-detect (with a flashlight) collar. The tape adheres to a 2 inch tubular nylon base but another one I made has a 2.75 inch kydex base collar for close encounters of the biting kind. Video to come...

Go to coyotevest website to see how poodles armor up!

Did I say the DIP won again last night?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Random Dan,
Sorry I do not have the information you seek. Have you figured it out? For me, the tint and color rendering is what makes this appealing but it is understandable some will want more light. Since I already have XPL HI dropins, this Nichia DIP is a nice change, and really not so much less than the XPL from my perspective.

Noticed this on the Nichia DIP page on the Oveready site:

Caution: direct drive on high mode, do not use with both 18650's and low resistance tailcaps

Whether using 18650GA or Sony VC7 or VCT6 or VTC5, this puppy heats up with lower resistance switches on 100% in less than a minute from cool. Even 30% gets quite warm with continued use after maybe 5-10 minutes or so, depending on ambient temperature.

Wondering what folks are using to change mode configurations. A not-too-pointy toothpick works pretty well, especially if used kind of like a pool cue, pushing somewhat in line with the length of the wood.

Even though the 'honeymoon' is kind of over, it is still getting a lot of use, due to the nice color rendering and pretty browns it creates. Carrying an additional dedicated thrower with it handles the longer distances we encounter.