Owners of 3x18650 lights - Battery Tube Too Large for Hand Comfort?

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
For owners of 3x18650 lights and 4x18650 lights - is the battery tube too large for handling comfort while using the light for extended periods? Yes, it depends on hand size, etc. but looking for overall general consensus. Thanks.

I keep wondering if the following options would be better:

a) 2x18650 side-by-side battery tube configuration similar to the Lupine Lights (approximately same size as mag D). Downside is this would mean more empty space in the battery tube and less power with only 2 batteries.

b) 1x26650 battery tube (approximately same size as mag C). Downside is using a battery with lower power to size ratio than 18650 and less power with only one battery.

skeeterbait

Newly Enlightened
Not for me it isn't. Granted I have large hands but my TM15 with its 4 battery parallel side by side body is very comfortable to use. What I don't like is a large head light with a 1 inch tube. Never feels like I have a good hold of it and feel clumsy.

B42

Newly Enlightened
I love the 3 battery length for everything except pocketability. I walk two dogs with it and sometimes I like to put both leashes and the light in one hand securely, I couldn't do that with fat parallel battery setups. However, 3 battery series setup does appear to have some possible danger especially when using cheap unprotected batteries that you dont check the voltage on, I wouldn't do that.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
I have the TM15 and the TK75. Both lights with 4 battery's stacked side-by-side.
No problem at all, I have handshoe size 9.
I can still put the light in the pocket of my jacket and have my hands free.
When put in lenght, the light would become way to long for me, and I would not have my hands free.
my 2 cents.

wertzius

Newly Enlightened
I own a K40, i find the 3x18650 tube much better than the 4x18650 tube of my King or the 1x26650 Tubes i own. It is simply perfect for me.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, thanks for all your responses. I wish there was a place here in los angeles to 'try out' some of the lights in-hand.

Re: AW: Owners of 3x18650 lights - Battery Tube Too Large for Hand Comfort?

I have a TrustFire X6 (3 x 18650 in series). Not too long for my hands but because it is so solidly built it is heavy and it is also difficult to turn on the tail-clickie as well as hold it with one hand. But I don't find it too long.

B42

Newly Enlightened
I have the TM15 and the TK75. Both lights with 4 battery's stacked side-by-side.
No problem at all, I have handshoe size 9.
I can still put the light in the pocket of my jacket and have my hands free.
When put in lenght, the light would become way to long for me, and I would not have my hands free.
my 2 cents.

Whats a "handshoe size 9"?

I don't actually own any 4 side by side battery lights and have not attempted to use them with leashes in my hand, so if you arent dogwalking Grizzly's preference is probably best. I just like to be able to hold on to the leashes and loop my finger/thumb around the light in the same hand and still have the ability to turn the light without moving my hand while retaining a good grip (3x 18650 or 3x 26650 both work, like 3x 26650 feel better but its heavy for many). Plus I have this illusion if I needed it for defense I have a short metal club. Its really what you use it for, would be no good probably for a targeting light, and if you want to put it away, you have to wear a coat or pack where you can put the 3x lights lengthwise in your inside pocket = no good for hot climates. Those nice 4 parallel battery lights are expensive though, seem to be $220+ and I bought a Trustfire "8000 lumen" (3500 lumen) $58, "3800 lumen" (1600-1800 lumen) backup $29 and "2000 lumen" (1000-800 lumen) $12 backup backup for my dogwalking/ forest hiking, for less than $100 and no problems with any (other than their greatly inflated lumen balloney). If $220+ was insignificant or I was police I'd probably get that compact light for a dense city like LA...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
3-4 parallel 18650 tubes are OK in my hands at least. I prefer a shorter light to a longer one...longer is typically a limiting factor, as it limits close quarter mobility more than a shorter light would.

I HAVE some in series, but, overall the parallel versions just work better in hand in most scenarios.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problems with my Fenix TK75, or Thrunite lights.