Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Agree with you all the way, but just a bit confused with the paragraph I quoted above. I was always under the impression that Milwaukee and DeWalt had a friendly rivalry among the Pros. That those were the two brands (although certainly not the only ones) that a lot of Pros selected for use on the job-site. Typically strongly preferring one over the other. But as years go by, things sometimes change for the worst; sometimes for the better. Do a lot of folks now associate DeWalt more closely with Ryobi instead of Milwaukee?

Not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Just genuinely curious.
What I have noticed with many of the contractors I deal with is they start with the Dewalt but end up going to Milwaukee. I was the same way. Dewalt was cheaper to purchase but by the time you factored in the cost of new batteries every year or 2 Milwaukee was cheaper in the long run. So far I have only written off one Milwaukee battery in the 15 years I have used them.
It might also be a regional thing. The Dewalt service center here is a nightmare to deal with. It takes months to get parts. They practically refuse to give out parts diagrams. There is no warranty because they always say the tool was abused ( even if it never worked right out of the box). With the hourly rate they charged for repair you were better off buying a new tool ( just not from them). You have to call several times before they even answer the phone. I'm sure the only reason they are still open is because many large companies have a policy to only buy direct from the manufacturer.
To this day I have called the Milwaukee service center once about getting a replacement chuck. Actually it was more because there were several different part numbers listed and I wanted clarification on the correct one. They sent a rep to me who installed the new chuck the same day and didn't even charge me for it.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 36v Metabo tri-fuel stuff could easily be a gamechanger if they ever get the line-up fully expanded. It's an idea that has been far too long coming.
+

Shows 35 products for the 36V here, a good start
the way they do the voltage is interesting, the 36V batteries have two pos. & two neg. slots

You can use the Metabo 36V battery in their 18V tools, but not the other way around

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Dewalt has a ton of product pointedly squarely at the entry level market, along w/ a more traditional pro-tier.
It's a questionable strategy, but hasn't seemed to harm their brand loyalty too badly yet.
Hook 'em young, I guess.

Keeps folks just starting out an option for a team color that won't get them made fun of or run off the jobsite w/o breaking the bank, and allows them to upgrade w/ a familiar platform.
Did not know that DeWalt did that. That explains it.
Now I know what Fuzzy meant. Thank you for the info.
I guess some of their tools are comparable to Ryobi.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
What I have noticed with many of the contractors I deal with is they start with the Dewalt but end up going to Milwaukee. I was the same way. Dewalt was cheaper to purchase but by the time you factored in the cost of new batteries every year or 2 Milwaukee was cheaper in the long run. So far I have only written off one Milwaukee battery in the 15 years I have used them.
It might also be a regional thing. The Dewalt service center here is a nightmare to deal with. It takes months to get parts. They practically refuse to give out parts diagrams. There is no warranty because they always say the tool was abused ( even if it never worked right out of the box). With the hourly rate they charged for repair you were better off buying a new tool ( just not from them). You have to call several times before they even answer the phone. I'm sure the only reason they are still open is because many large companies have a policy to only buy direct from the manufacturer.
To this day I have called the Milwaukee service center once about getting a replacement chuck. Actually it was more because there were several different part numbers listed and I wanted clarification on the correct one. They sent a rep to me who installed the new chuck the same day and didn't even charge me for it.
That's very eye-opening. Thank you for letting us know.
Especially regarding the very different lifespans of their batteries.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today I used a Ryobi 18 volt edger with a 4Ah battery for about 20 minutes, then trimmed the soft stuff on a big ole holly bush for about 30 minutes with the 18 volt hedge trimmer. The larger branches were cut with the 40 volt 24" bar hedge trimmer then after cleaning up the debris an 18 volt blower was used to clean the sidewalk and driveway.

When done the 18 volt battery had 2 of 4 bars left. The 40 volt machine is a power hog that killed a 2Ah battery in about 15 minutes but it zipped right through stuff the size of my thumb with ease.

I let the holly's grow for a while each spring since birds nest in them each year. So by the time they get trimmed about 3 feet has to be removed.

I'll stick with the Ryobi tools until they quit.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just finished watching the video. Early independent testing so far. All is not great. But most of it is. To the point that the reviewer is already recommending it. Very nice!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just finished watching the video. Early independent testing so far. All is not great. But most of it is. To the point that the reviewer is already recommending it. Very nice!
Yeah, it sounds pretty good to me. Good results, it has trouble with a couple of tools. I liked the part that they say how it doesn't make sense to have all of these expensive batteries that aren't universal. That and non-universal chargers.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes, it's just insanity. But seems to be working out great for the various tool companies. As convenient as it is to have truly portable, battery-operated power-tools.... In the old days with corded tools, you bought whichever particular tool you liked best from various brands. Didn't matter. I'll admit, I love that my DeWalt compact router is a corded model since (no offense to DeWalt users) it happens to be my only DeWalt power-tool. All the corded plugs, obviously universal to the nation one lives in. Ridiculous that the battery powered ones are not.

I've also realized it's harder to standardize on one particular brand/platform than it seems. Some brands just don't do certain types of power-tools well at all. You either go outside of the brand/platform to get a proper tool, or buy a tool from the brand you've chosen to standardize on, that you know is an inferior tool. Which is also insanity!

If I had to pick one that comes the absolute nearest to being the closest thing to the ideal single brand/single platform overall.... Milwaukee 18volt FUEL. Problem is, that option is massively expensive! Only really worth it to Pros who make a living with their tools.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Okay, won't lie. THIS was very disappointing.
Wondering if anyone has opened up their power-tools,
and found something similar:

letschat7

Suspended
Most Dewalt is made in Mexico and some is USA or Chinese. You can't miss the USA stuff as it has flags on the package. I have like 4 tools and 5 batteries that are made in usa.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, I see less and less of the Made in USA DeWalt tools each time I visit Home Depot. But it's good to see there are some still made here.

letschat7

Suspended
Here is what I found for sale in the shop I worked at in June 2024. The owner doesn't care where it comes from it is luck of the draw. There is even less in a local Lowes/HD/Tractor Supply with only seeing the air compressor and some consumables made in USA.

Attachments

• 60F74426-8521-4D45-9707-856F1E733C9D.jpeg
    60F74426-8521-4D45-9707-856F1E733C9D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

letschat7

Suspended
I would avoid Harbour Freight for anything except the Goodyear hoses, Japanese pullsaws, and some random stuff they had 20 years ago from Italy and Russia.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I'd greatly appreciate it if DeWALT provided hard cases for their cordless tools. 🤗
Probably a silly question, but what is a hard case? Is it an extra robust enclosure or a hardened box?

A couple of my cordless DeWalt tools has arrived in something called a "Powerstack" case (is this the same as TSTAK?). I don't know whether these cases are different from from the "Toughsystem" cases, but DeWalt seems to make - at least to me - some durable carry cases for their cordless tools.

Not that I am testing any durability of any of the included DeWalt cases, as I am putting everything in Makita MakPac boxes.
The MakPac's sure aren't durable (broken hinge, snapped locking clasp, broken bottom after a short drop), but they are much more convenient overall for my needs and usecases. And I treat my toolboxes like I'm transporting glass (which I sadly feel like I have to with the MakPac's).