P1D vs P1DCE

*Retired*
Penguin said:
I got both my P1D and P1D-Ce, my P1D has a 'Flawless Fenix' Beam while the CE has a very slight dark halo around the corona. I believe it's there for sure... not just some optical illusion... BUT, you really have to be looking for it to see it, in normal use (even when just white walling) I forget it's there... the INTENSE hotspot and beautiful corona is what I concentrate on and the dark ring disappears! I had my doubts when I first read about the rings, but I honestly think only the VERY nitpicky CPFer's will find this even remotely annoying.

How does the amount light output compare between your two?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my P1D and P1D-CE via USPS. interesting lights, but I will have to live with them for a while before I understand the advantages of each vis-a-vis a Fenix P1 which I also have had several of and still have one left.

The Fenix P1 is more pocketable than either the P1D or P1D-CE which share the same case larger than the P1. The P1 spot is tighter than the P1D. The P1D does give out a bit more light via a broader graduated spot. The center of each spot is about the same brightness.

The P1D-CE on high is definitely brighter than the P1D on high. Yes, I see the slightly darker ring around the center spot. I don't think that it will be noticed in normal use unless you are white-wall hunting. :)

The strobe effect is certainly disconcerting. I can certainly imagine that the strobe setting will probably attract a lot of attention. I will just skip past it normally. Frankly I could easily dispense with the SOS setting. Way too slow.

However my greatest surprise was trying out different batteries in the P1D and P1D-CE. I tried 3.7v Lighthound/AW and 3.0v Powerizer(same as Tenergy?) rechargeable Li-Ion & primary Lithium in the Duracell, Surefire and Sanyo persuasions.

Using standard fresh primary lithium cells, both lights cycled thru their 3 brightness levels. Using a cell that was about half-discharged, the output from the P1D-CE was dropping noticeably on high.

Using the 3.7v RCR cell, neither the P1D or the P1D-CE changed brightness to any noticeable degree when cycling thru the stages. The output from the P1D-CE was something obviously brighter than a normal "high". The P1D behaved about the same with the 3.7v RCR cell. Clearly the higher 3.7+ voltage is not usable by the electronics - probably go into bypass. The P1D-CE is really bright though!

Only with the 3.0v Powerizer cell did I have the 3 levels available in either light. Looks like I will have to restrict RCR cell usage to the 3.0v Powerizer cells. I suspect that the Tenergy 3.0v cells are the same manufacturer under the case labeling.

run time testing getting started!

Tim

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime to discharge with the RCR 3.0v Powerizer was a little over 30 min with either the P1D or P1D-CE. Discharge in my mind is when the light level on all three settings is about the same. However the P1D-CE was dropping to a medium output sooner than the P1D. That means that the light output when switching between high and medium doesn't change much. I suspect that the P1D-CE is effectively at about the maximum current draw for a single cell light. For more light, one would probably have to use two or more cells. The P1D is brighter than the P1, but not by a lot. The different spot sizes make it hard to judge light output.