• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules - warm, neutral, cool white/XPG-S2- XML-U2 / P60 modules (part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some Interesting observations:
I noticed that my ~3.6a XML is slightly brighter with 2 18650 in parallel
& brighter still from 3 in parallel
No change from 3 to 4.
Voltage sag @ the cell is real folks and makes a difference ;)

That said the increase was very small.

I'll have to order a 4.2a and compare
sometime.

Also- ran it on hi for ~2hrs w no heat problems on 4x18650 remote pack.
Copper tape + chunky headlamp host @40degree temps outside
helped I'm sure.

Def on the cool side of neutral with a hint of rose.
Nice contrast outside tho.
SMO reflector has no ringie problems! Decent throw too!!

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for sharing those observations. I run my 4.2A on IMR cells. For non-demanding use, an AW black label cell is fine, but when I know I'm going to need the full rated output, I go with the IMR red labels. IMO, the Nailbender XM-L drop-ins are one of the best values in custom engines. Great stuff and an unbelievable price.

Wilkey

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI

I think that you are spot on psychbeat, it is ALL about the battery sag.
I have many times said that a single 18650 can only handle so much amperage because of the sag. When I test good 18650 under heavy loads the almost immediate sag is amazing. Running cells in parallel is a great way to drastically reduce the battery sag and becuase there is no sag it keeps the amperage, voltage and brightness up for a much longer time.

As i have also said I have found that running 2Xlifepo4 in series also will have much less sag and the increased voltage helps also since all drivers have some overhead to work and the extra voltage helps the driver maintain the higher amperage.

The parallel solution is good since it supplies the needed amperage and since it has multiple cells to keep it from sagging it does the same as the dual lifepo4's does it keeps the voltage up for the driver to work.

Have a good holiday all

Dave

sehireskili

Newly Enlightened
xp-c q4?how can u drive 1.7a?may ı run it during 2-3 hours?if ı take ahorton lens and skyray body, will ı get similar light output :wave:?xp-c pill without reflector?thx

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
xp-c q4?how can u drive 1.7a?may ı run it during 2-3 hours?if ı take ahorton lens and skyray body, will ı get similar light output :wave:?xp-c pill without reflector?thx

HI

I have few answers to your question. I was asked to stock this item and push it hard and that I have done. I have not tested for HOURS but in the ten or 15 minutes I have the module performed well. If you have concerns about long runtimes order a 3 level so it can be turned down. I also have stated that it can be purchased in a 1.4 amp model. I don't own any aspherics so i can not compare them to other items but it will run fine with out a reflector.

Dave

Joe_torch

Newly Enlightened
HI

I think that you are spot on psychbeat, it is ALL about the battery sag.
I have many times said that a single 18650 can only handle so much amperage because of the sag. When I test good 18650 under heavy loads the almost immediate sag is amazing. Running cells in parallel is a great way to drastically reduce the battery sag and becuase there is no sag it keeps the amperage, voltage and brightness up for a much longer time.

As i have also said I have found that running 2Xlifepo4 in series also will have much less sag and the increased voltage helps also since all drivers have some overhead to work and the extra voltage helps the driver maintain the higher amperage.

The parallel solution is good since it supplies the needed amperage and since it has multiple cells to keep it from sagging it does the same as the dual lifepo4's does it keeps the voltage up for the driver to work.

Have a good holiday all

Dave

Hi Dave,

So in your opinions, in order to properly run your 4.2A drop in, which battery configs is better, Dual lifepo4's or parallel 18650?

Thanks & have a good holiday.

Joe

RCantor

Enlightened
Did a real world test of my Nailbender XRE vs Olight infinitum XRE. The NB module blew the Olight away. Not even close. Thanks, Dave!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did a real world test of my Nailbender XRE vs Olight infinitum XRE. The NB module blew the Olight away. Not even close. Thanks, Dave!

Hi

Thanks for the kind words and yes the tower module replaces the MN series of incan towers that power KT1 / Kt4 / KT5 and such type surefire turbo heads.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave,

So in your opinions, in order to properly run your 4.2A drop in, which battery configs is better, Dual lifepo4's or parallel 18650?

Thanks & have a good holiday.

Joe

Hi

I have not ran many parallel set ups lately so I am not the one to comment but psychbeat has just done some testing and they would agree with what I have found out. His setups keeps the battery from sagging and supplies the needed amperage.
Now I can tell you that the 2XLifePo4 set up does work from my testing. I use a Five Mega D36 2X18650 with lifepo4's and it pulls the whole amount or as close as you will get with host resistance. The lifepo4's have to be charged properly so as not to go over the limit of the driver.
I also use the higher amperage in a 1X32650 D36 by FM with a 4XAA using Nizene batts which give me the higher voltage and less sag.

Dave

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Re: P60 modules - warm, neutral, cool white/XPG- XML / SST-50 -90 P60 modules (part 9

ifHey,

I would like to order the following drop in:

Cree XP-G -$35
1 level 2.8-6 volts
R3 4000k 5C2
with Smooth Reflector EDIT: if smooth is going to have a significant donut hole OP is also ok.
for use in Surefire C2

+ thermal potting $5
+ internatiol shipping $5

Thank you!

Paypal sent.

Kind regards,
Jonas

Last edited:

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P60 modules - warm, neutral, cool white/XPG- XML / SST-50 -90 P60 modules (part 9

ifHey,

I would like to order the following drop in:

Cree XP-G -$35
1 level 2.8-6 volts
R3 4000k 5C2
with Smooth Reflector EDIT: if smooth is going to have a significant donut hole OP is also ok.
for use in Surefire C2

+ thermal potting $5
+ internatiol shipping $5

Thank you!

Paypal sent.

Kind regards,
Jonas

Hi

It will not have any doughnut hole but may have a few concentric rings. I will check but I am not sure I have any of the R3 5C2 but I am sure I have some R4 4B2 4000k emitters, hopefully that will be OK if I don't have any of the R3's left.

Thanks

Dave

RCantor

Enlightened

I tested my 4.2A xml module vs some 3.5 and 2.8 ones. At near distances I couldn't see much difference. At 200 feet there was a huge difference in brightness. I forgot to specify 4.2A in my D36 so I might have to order another. Just as soon as my 4500K xpcs come in :) I can't find them in stock in the US. I'll just have to wait for you to get them :)

himashyou

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
The new 3.4 -9 volt / 2.8 amp / 3 level with memory driver with XML,
does it work with 1x18650 well ?
Does it only become half runtime ?

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
The new 3.4 -9 volt / 2.8 amp / 3 level with memory driver with XML,
does it work with 1x18650 well ?
Does it only become half runtime ?

Hi

As I have stated it runs best with 2X li ions. If you are going to use just one li ion then please order the regular 6 volt max option. While many drivers state wide ranges of voltage few work well with both a single and multiple li ions. It will work but as you said at reduced amperage, while more than 1/2 amperage it is not full amperage.

Dave

Lumilo

Newly Enlightened
Paypal sent for the following Parts::thumbsup:

1. 1x XML Tower Modul-3 level 3.4-9 volt 2.8 amp driver-T6 flux 1A tint -Fits KT4
  2. 1xP60 Dropin- Cree XM-L -3 level / 2.8 amp /3.4 - 9 volts (high / med / low with memory) T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white- SMO Reflector
  3. 2x D36-3 level / 2.8 amp /3.4 - 9 volts (high / med / low with memory ) SMO Reflector T60 flux bin 3C 5000k

All Dropins going into Surefire Host:C2 and M3/T

All Dropins please with termal potting and international shipping.

Thanks Dave

TwoWheelNomad

Newly Enlightened
:paypal: Unique Transaction ID # 53G01004T1456394F

Cree XM-L $40
T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white
2 level HI / Low Regulated with memory (2.8-6 volts) 2.8 amps
LOP reflector
Potting with copper tape is a $5
$45 total

Host is an L2P with aw 18650 3100mah

Thanks!

JoVo

Newly Enlightened

Hi

It will not have any doughnut hole but may have a few concentric rings. I will check but I am not sure I have any of the R3 5C2 but I am sure I have some R4 4B2 4000k emitters, hopefully that will be OK if I don't have any of the R3's left.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply!

Well, R4 5B2 4000k is also ok, I hope you meant 5B2?
Does the Smooth have a big advantage in throw over the OP? If not I'll just take the OP (or the smooth if you have already assembled the drop in).

Kind regards,
Jonas

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

thanks for the reply!

Well, R4 5B2 4000k is also ok, I hope you meant 5B2?
Does the Smooth have a big advantage in throw over the OP? If not I'll just take the OP (or the smooth if you have already assembled the drop in).

Kind regards,
Jonas

HI

I did mean 5B2 but I have just checked and I do have 5C2 and in R4 so I have yours glued up. The smooth will give a better hotspot and a more dedicated hotspot compared to a more blended look of the lop. I don't consider it to have any doughnut hole but as with many Cree emitters the smooth does have some concentric rings, nothing like some XRE's but still some rings. Let me know which you think you would like and I will finish it up.

Dave

EEG

Newly Enlightened

Paypal sent for following:

Cree XP-G S2 with LOP REFLECTOR-$35
3 level high / med / low 2.8-6 volts with memory / 1.4 amp/REGULATED
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE IT I WOULD LIKE LOW/MED/HIGH
POTTED-$5
FOR USE IN SUREFIRE E2 w/M2 BEZEL
TOTAL=$40

I added a note about prefered order of levels. If you have something that will work that would be great but if not your standard is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.