• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

Hi Dave, i recently got one of your 90 cri xpg drop in and planning to get the xre with a 10 degree optics. As you mentioned earlier it looks like the TIR in surefires but i never owned one so:

1. is the beam with the optics something like a beam with only hotspots and no spill?
2. i believe the xre 90 deg beam angle is hotspot+spill. how will the 10 deg optic's beam compared to only the hotspot of xre? Bigger/smaller?

I dunno if i make any sense but I'm just trying to get an idea how the xre with 10 deg optics is comparable to reflectored xre?

I have a solar force p60 xre drop in and the solar force masterpiece pro-1 if that makes it easier to make the comparison?

Thanks.
Rudy.

Hi

Well the optics simply confine the beam to a certain profile, it doesn't magnify it just confines it. If you are looking for the longest throwing then just a plain smooth reflector will do that the only thing the only thing the optics have on the beam is they are slightly smoother with a few less rings and the spill is more confined.

No P60 will throw like your masterpiece pro will as it has a much deeper reflector made for a XRE. Our modules will be a bit stronger than the Solarforce P60 becuase we push it much harder.

Before you order the optic just realize they are different beams than a reflector, many like the look I myself prefer reflectors but many like optics. Also realize that the optics and a reflector are not interchangeable.

Not sure that helped sort of hard to describe.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

Wow I just gotta say those are alot of options and very reasonable prices!

What would you say is the best throwing drop in options? I'm not sure if SST-50 or XP-G with smo would outrhrow XR-E with optics?

Sorry if it has been answered I read the first few pages of posts I've read some emitter comparisons I think I'm at information overload:poof:

Hi

jak3All3n answered that one very well. The XRE is considered the best thrower but it is a tight tunnel like beam profile becuase of the narrow beam angle of the emitter. The XPG in a smooth while some rings are present will give good throw with more spill, the XML has the same beam angle as the XPG but with more power comes more spill but still has decent throw in a smooth. The SST 50 as mentioned has a beautiful beam but is the most floody of the bunch.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Dave:

Just a quick question on what you have to offer as far as the drop ins with the battery vampire Joule Thief boards go. Can you make up one of those boards with the new Nichia 219 LED? I am looking for a low voltage drop in for use with 2-AA's, to drain them as low as is physically possible. Or do you have a low voltage battery vampire drop in setup of your own? Thank you for your time.

Hi

Yes I can use the Nichia no problem for a vampire module. I don't have my own vampire driver as it is a bit specialized so that one is Will I just build the modules for the ones that would like me to do that. All my low voltage have a low voltage warning so they will not drain the batts but his works GREAT and the nichia will work fine for this project since it has a low VF.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. I will order his driver, and have it sent to you. Is there any options in the build?

HI

Sure you can get any of the emitters listed on the first page, I suggest something like a XPG or Nichia since the lower VF's will give a longer runtime but even an XML will work as Will has used them. There of course no levels available as that is part of the driver and this type build comes as a one level.

thanks

Dave

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
hi dave, i have a curious case for you, today, just for the fun of it (call me weird :D), i was measuring the tail currents of my lights. i have one nb xm-l drop-in driven at 2.8a on high and another driven at 3.5a on high but for some reason, they both read the same currents at low, medium and high settings :thinking:, that is 110ma, ~840ma and 2.75a, i'm pretty sure i measured the 3.5a when i first got it about a month ago and it did hit 3.2-3.5a on a fully charged battery :shrug:. any idea what's going on?

jak3All3n

Newly Enlightened
dave, also, in the first page, i see this:

XPEmodule-1.jpg

do you still have these reflectors? i had one of your xp-g drop-ins before but i asked for a smooth reflector so it didn't come with one of these. but i've got an anto xp-g drop-in that uses the one above and i really like it. can you build a nichia led into one of these reflectors?

rewdee

Newly Enlightened

Hi

Well the optics simply confine the beam to a certain profile, it doesn't magnify it just confines it. If you are looking for the longest throwing then just a plain smooth reflector will do that the only thing the only thing the optics have on the beam is they are slightly smoother with a few less rings and the spill is more confined.

No P60 will throw like your masterpiece pro will as it has a much deeper reflector made for a XRE. Our modules will be a bit stronger than the Solarforce P60 becuase we push it much harder.

Before you order the optic just realize they are different beams than a reflector, many like the look I myself prefer reflectors but many like optics. Also realize that the optics and a reflector are not interchangeable.

Not sure that helped sort of hard to describe.

Dave

Sorry for the confusion. I am not looking for the ultimate throw but i would like a thrower with the narrowest beam in a p60 size. Will the 10 deg optic have a narrower beam than the reflectored ones?

Thanks.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry for the confusion. I am not looking for the ultimate throw but i would like a thrower with the narrowest beam in a p60 size. Will the 10 deg optic have a narrower beam than the reflectored ones?

Thanks.

Hi

And I have already answered that question, if you want a narrow beam then you want a thrower and the XRE has the narrowest beam. You will have to decide if you want a reflector or a lens. As I said the lens will have less spill but does it has the narrowest beam is very subjective since I really don't measure things like that and I don't really use XRE's as they have too narrow of beam for me so I am not sure how to answer this. They both have a narrow beam it is more about how you like the beam to look.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
dave, also, in the first page, i see this:

XPEmodule-1.jpg

do you still have these reflectors? i had one of your xp-g drop-ins before but i asked for a smooth reflector so it didn't come with one of these. but i've got an anto xp-g drop-in that uses the one above and i really like it. can you build a nichia led into one of these reflectors?

Hi

They don't make that reflector in smooth which is why yours is different, it is what I ALWAYS use in a XPG when OP is ordered or yes this Nichia.

Dave

SoSideways

Newly Enlightened

Thanks.

I was very interested in this myself, and have done some searching on this forum, and have found that that beam with the 8 degree optic is not as bright nor tight as the XRE with just the smooth reflector.

Here's what member bigchelis said about Nailbender's XRE options:

bigchelis said:
XR-E R2 EZ1000 from Nailbender with Optic (8degree) does about 6~7K lux
XR-E R2 EZ1000 from Nailbender with SMOOTH REFELECTOR does about 12K lux

And from member stoli67, here are the beam shots of those two options:

stoli67 said:
Nailbender XRE R2 Smooth Reflector

NailbenderXRESmoothReflectora.jpg

Nailbender XRE R2 8 Degree Optic

Nailbender8DegreeOptica.jpg

As you can see, the XRE with just the smooth reflector created a tighter beam that was also a bit brighter than the beam with the 8 degree optic on it.

Personally, I'm looking to get the XRE with the smooth reflector with my next paycheck.

Hope this helped.

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
awesome :thumbsup:

any thoughts on post #187?

Hi

The electronics don't change so that leads me to batteries. If the battery has been charged many times they don't hold near the charge as when younger also you will only get 3.5 amps on a fresh battery and only for a few minutes before ANY 18650 starts to sag. The more discharged the less amperage the battery is able to feed.
If not batteries then have hosts changed or something else since the components don't wear out. For it to be the driver not just one resistor but 2 would have had to go bad and I have never seen any go bad.
Also make sure you are measuring the 4C as you had two other XML's that were 2.8 amps. Make sure that 2 of the resistors on the bottom of the driver are double height.

Dave

Last edited:

RCantor

Enlightened

Thanks.

An Aspheric lens will give you a narrower beam than the optic or reflector.

Of course the beam is ugly...

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dave,
I recieved the 1.4A 3 mode with the new Nichia high CRI. Thanks for the quick service as always!

I can't recommend this enough. The output is of course lower than the XP-G, but the tint, or lack of tint, more than makes up for it.

I there was a way to make it floodier it would be even better!

rewdee

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the great insights dave and SoSideways. It all falls down to beam profile an no advantage in throw nor narrower in angle. And i keep typing 10deg instead on 8deg hope its not confusjng anyone.

I'll have to pass on the optics for now. Maybe when i have the exta budget i might get one just to compare on my own.

Thanks.

dengdam

Newly Enlightened

your PM box is full.

2 potted lingers with 4500k 92CRI neutral nichias

3 level Low / Med / High Regulated 2.8-6 volts only

each emitter will get 1.4 amps? what about medium and low?

whichever reflector best for floody close up work.

i plan to use these with 1x18650 aand a solarforce l2x host.

paypal sent

5S245017EW557715C

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

your PM box is full.

2 potted lingers with 4500k 92CRI neutral nichias

3 level Low / Med / High Regulated 2.8-6 volts only

each emitter will get 1.4 amps? what about medium and low?

whichever reflector best for floody close up work.

i plan to use these with 1x18650 aand a solarforce l2x host.

paypal sent

5S245017EW557715C

Hi

Thanks for the order

PM box cleared Sorry

Dave

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just got a chance to take my Nichia 92 CRI module on a walk, and I must say the tint is amazing! My previous favorite tint came from a Zebralight H51Fc with a Philips Rebel 85 CRI emittier, but I find the Nichia to be a slight (but noticeable) improvement. With the LOP reflector, the beam is flawless, though I wish Nichia would make a version comparable to the XM-L for more flood along with higher output. How is the beam on the Linger version with the Nichia LEDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts