P60 Xenon lamp module, spare bulbs?

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a few of your burnt out modules and swap a high cri 5mm led in there. Then run them in a 2aa or 1cr123 host as a pretty effective battery vampire.

This. You are already well versed in making little vampires. Why not vampire some p60 modules?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
The Seraph should take any 18650...but, you found a protected flat top??? WTF???

Sure, I make my own, I bought a load of protection circuits, 10mm Kapton tape and some wraps a few years ago and now I just buy Cells and roll my own :)
I do Molicell P26a and P42a all the while for my incan lights.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
This. You are already well versed in making little vampires. Why not vampire some p60 modules?

that`s not a bad idea if I get a tube that takes common primaries, I really need my lights to arrive first though so i can see what i`m playing with in terms of space and pick-up points for the juice (2 springs on a reflector doesn`t tell me too much), I have some lovely 5mm warm white leds, maybe arranged as a triple would work too? but I really need to see first hand what I`m dealing with first. you`ve just kinda reminded me...I`v got a pack of aluminium brazing/soldering rods somewhere too! :)

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
A triple 5mm would be cool- just like the old nite ize drop in for the minimag. It will take more effort though. You would have to mount the leds above the original bulb hole and I'm not sure if the leads would reach far enough at that point.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
They make a long lead version of the 5mm led that should still have enough reach to make it. I'm anxious to see what she comes with. She makes some cool little lights

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
A triple 5mm would be cool- just like the old nite ize drop in for the minimag. It will take more effort though. You would have to mount the leds above the original bulb hole and I'm not sure if the leads would reach far enough at that point.

Something like that I`d probably pot as a cone with the 3 leds at the top then the inductor and QX5252 chip under that going off to 2 leads (+ and -) and try and fit the cone into the hole that was once the bulb before I drilled it out :D

jross20

Newly Enlightened
but that`s Terrible! :shakehead it such a waste and so bad for the environment not to mention the finances. is there No way they can be changed at all?

Agreed, I really wish more people saw it this way. LEDs don't last forever...

By chance could you get an older p60?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Agreed, I really wish more people saw it this way. LEDs don't last forever...

By chance could you get an older p60?

possibly, but all the ones I`v seen are waaaay too expensive, even second hand, and Usually from the states so I have to pay a load of import tax as well :(

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would send you one but last item I sent to UK to help someone out cost me around 50 bucks just to ship. It's not feasible at all and I don't understand it. I used to ship autographs all over the world for around 10 bucks a pop. Had no idea shipping had gotten so ridiculous

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just scared to ship something at that cost and it get "lost" in customs. I've had that happen a few times and it never gets easy to accept haha

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
...So I need to get a "twisty" then (whatever tha is LOL)?

The following is a list of Surefire tailcaps:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...st-of-Surefire-s-Tailcap-Switches-with-IMAGES

The Z41 (BK or HA), and Z42, Z43, Z44, and Z45 are the "twisty" tailcaps for the C/P/Z/G series.

The Z52, Z53, and Z54 are the "twisty" tailcaps for the E-series, and are generally much harder to find these days.

Watch out for the clones on the Bay. Some of their dimensions are quite sloppy.

[Edit: I forgot to mention the parts that Mark of Lumens Factory produces to support discontinued Surefires.]

Last edited:

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
possibly, but all the ones I`v seen are waaaay too expensive, even second hand, and Usually from the states so I have to pay a load of import tax as well :(
I've seen a couple of Surefires sell on eBay in the last couple of weeks for about £30 (UK sellers) I'll admit to being quite surprised by that as I paid more than twice that for my second hand combatlight about 15 years ago.

Surefire have never really made any effort at all to sell to the UK market and for that reason I find it hard to get excited about them.

Well built but a bit underwhelming performance wise.

Just before posting this I took out the LED drop in and replaced it with the High Output incandescent module. It wasn't nearly as bright as I remembered it being.... Nor was the beam as nice as a well set up floody warm high CRI LED (Although that could be an age thing, t'was a 15 year old bulb after all)

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Lumens Factory still sells P60 type incan modules on their website. In the Category menu, go to Lamp Module, SureFire Compatible, D26 series. They are listed by voltage (4, 6, 9). The "4" is a 3.7 volt bulb for a single lithium ion battery.

I bought two of the EO4 modules years ago back when Lighthound was still in business and selling a bunch of Lumens Factory stuff.

By the way, I've heard that high-pressure gas bulbs such as P60s can be a real eye hazard when they pop, so put on some eye protection before messing with them, if anyone is thinking of trying to R&R the bulb itself.

( edit: Dang, I found the screenshot of my EO-4 purchase... it was in 2009! Hard to believe it was that far back. I did notice that the Lumens Factory site's price for the bulb is still the same as what I paid back then (14.99) so kudos to them! :thumbsup: )

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
to be honest I`m not really interested in putting any LED drop-ins in there, I have dozens of LED lights already, but in the winter I really want/need Incan lights, the Brightest I have at the moment is a 5D light with a 6v 1A bulb in it, and the next brightest has a 7.2v 600ma Krypton bulb powered by 2 protected 16340 cells in a small 1960`s light that used to take No#8 batteries. yes it`s a bit lame compared to todays LEDs in terms of beam profile and output, but it`s still 100CRI ;)

I`m wondering if I can bypas the tail switch entirely and turn it into a twisty? I`m reluctant to buy Anything from outside the UK now that .GOV greed has spoiled everything in terms of sales tax and import tax, so I figured a DIY approach may be the best way to go for a while.

broadgage

Enlightened
Back in the day, I rebuilt a number of P60 lamp modules.
I used a 4.8 volt 0.5 amp mini bi pin halogen bulb to which I soldered two wires several inches long. I broke out the original bulb, lit the new one dimly from an external battery, and fixed it in place with epoxy putty.
The exact position of the bulb could be adjusted before the epoxy cured, to obtain a good beam pattern.
I then cut the wires short and soldered them to the springs.

Reduced light but extended run time.

The bulbs that I used are now less available