P61L

D.S.Brown

Newly Enlightened
Inliner,

That seems to be my understanding from them as well. I also stated to them that yeah I'm getting 6 hours at 80 lumens versus 3 hours in my similarly equipped 6P and Z2, I don't think double runtime for the same amount of lumens is worth the size difference. Just my opinion.

I certainly hope they can solve whatever issues they have in developing the P61L, (if they are even trying), and get it to market.

This probably makes me an oddity around here, but I don't like modding anything too much. I prefer stock. For instance I own several Glock handguns, the only non stock item on any of them will be Heinie Straight 8 Slant Pro night sights. Everything else is factory stock. How this relates, I prefer to use all Surefire parts in my lights, thus my desire for the P61L lamp for my 9P.

Best,

Dave

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Inliner,

That seems to be my understanding from them as well. I also stated to them that yeah I'm getting 6 hours at 80 lumens versus 3 hours in my similarly equipped 6P and Z2, I don't think double runtime for the same amount of lumens is worth the size difference. Just my opinion.

I certainly hope they can solve whatever issues they have in developing the P61L, (if they are even trying), and get it to market.

This probably makes me an oddity around here, but I don't like modding anything too much. I prefer stock. For instance I own several Glock handguns, the only non stock item on any of them will be Heinie Straight 8 Slant Pro night sights. Everything else is factory stock. How this relates, I prefer to use all Surefire parts in my lights, thus my desire for the P61L lamp for my 9P.

Best,

Dave

Dave, you are not a oddity, just new to CPF. Please stick around and do some searching. You may find your self interested, after researching, in some of the available drop in lamp assemblies for the 9P. Some of these lamp assemblies will be LED based just like the P60L, and will provide very reliable functioning of the 9P, which is just basically a host for the SF P60L that can be considered an after market product itself. Something like a P61L would have to be designed with very good heat sinking qualities, something the P60L does not have, relying on a temperature cutoff that reduces the output (current) to the LED. Look at Malkoff drop-ins for the SF C series lights, such as the 6P, and 9P. Do a google, cpf only, at the top of every CPF page. These drop-ins are built to withstand the heat that can be generated by the full power LEDs driven at 1 amp+ and produce high output without significant dimming. Your Glocks come pretty much set up for what they are designed for. Your 9P is just a hull that can have parts added to it for flawless functioning, if you choose the right components.

Bill

txgp17

Enlightened
Anyone heard any updates on this?

By now, they should have at least improved the emitter on the P60L, allowing a 100+ lumen output from the same driver/reflector assembly.

carrot

Flashaholic
All news points to the P61L being canned. The newer 6PL et al. use a special integrated lamp assembly for a max output of 120 lumens and the P60L is no longer used on the LED Surefires.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire's effective replacement for their P60L was shown at SHOT Show 2010.
By going with a dedicated LED bezel rather than a Lamp Assembly SureFire remove the constraints they have on needing their Lamp Assemblies to fit all their various models (Aftermarket drop-in manufacturers don't need to cater for all of SureFire's historic and legacy models)
Dedicated LED bezels also allow for far better thermal management and sizes of optics and such.

txgp17

Enlightened
Does anyone have a picture of this new "integrated lamp" 6PL?

Also, I noticed today, that the BP60L warns "Do not use P60L LED/reflector assembly with incandescent bezel."

What's the deal on that? I thought all P60L's could be used in P60 hosts.

I read this thread, but I still don't get it.

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have a picture of this new "integrated lamp" 6PL?

Also, I noticed today, that the BP60L warns "Do not use P60L LED/reflector assembly with incandescent bezel."

What's the deal on that? I thought all P60L's could be used in P60 hosts.

I read this thread, but I still don't get it.

I think the primary concern is that they don't want people dropping the P60L into the original incan bezel because there is (IIRC) a shock-reducing arranagement at the front of the incan bezel to reduce the chances of blowing the P60 as a result of recoil. If you put the P60L into that bezel, you effectively get "tunnel vision" performance from the light. The P60L doesn't need shock protection, so it can be mounted directly within a regular (aluminum, not Nitrolon) bezel.

Someone jump in if I've mis-remembered.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The bezel used by the BP60L is similar to the Z44-BK except it is slightly longer.
Lamp Module Housing Bodies/Adapter Collars have stops that prevent the old-school Z32 bezel from being over-tightened.
Not all other bezels make use of this stop and can be screwed on past the stop.
In addition, the P60L's springs can be over-compressed when being hosted in some Lamp Module / bezel combinations, including with the Z32. The BP60L bezel ensures this doesn't happen.
The P60L will operate a lower output in shock isolated bezels as well so it's a less than desirable combination for a WeaponLight.

As I said SureFire are working on replacing the P60L with a dedicated LED bezel.
Its a shame CPF members at SHOT Show 2010 didn't seem to pick up on this development. SureFire moving away from Lamp Assemblies isn't of interest I suppose...

Al :candle:

txgp17

Enlightened
As I said SureFire are working on replacing the P60L with a dedicated LED bezel.
Its a shame CPF members at SHOT Show 2010 didn't seem to pick up on this development. SureFire moving away from Lamp Assemblies isn't of interest I suppose...

Al :candle:
I made it to SHOT last year, but couldn't swing it this year. The Surefire booth was a nightmare, too many people there to compete with. I had a 6P in my pocket with a M60 in it so I could compare it with every light they boasted about. It still beat everything there except the Turbo-size head modules.

Moving away from lamp assemblies would ruin our ability to purchase kick-*** drop-in's like the M60 series. It would also help their profit margins because you'd have to purchase a whole new head, instead of a higher output drop-in module. But I don't see them halting production on light heads that will host the P60 for a long time.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Moving away from lamp assemblies would ruin our ability to purchase kick-*** drop-in's like the M60 series. It would also help their profit margins because you'd have to purchase a whole new head, instead of a higher output drop-in module. But I don't see them halting production on light heads that will host the P60 for a long time.

The current p60 host's 6P, Z2, C2 bezels should still be sold for a loooong time on the Incan version, so either buy the incan Surefire, or find a p60 compatible head to replace the new led head and drop in the aftermarket Led of your choice! :D

Latest posts