Pandemic supply chain in your area

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
A simple remedy for shops would be to pro-rate supplies during a shortage, with respect to family size. It's not gouging, it's maintaining fair market value, and helping to retain the value and flow of both cash and goods. The first one is sold at fair market, and unless you have valid proof or license of charity etc, then you may not purchase multiples at whatever retail price is. Basically the more you buy, the more the unit cost goes up. Simple econ, right?

That way, supply and demand stay competitive until the supply chain fixes itself.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like consumers, producers are panic-buying - stock on the shelf is apparently more valuable at the moment than money in the bank.
It's called inflation. People know that the prices of everything are going up so they're stockpiling now to avoid paying what they can't afford later. California just increased minimum wage to $15 an hour. I'm sure that's not helping. With all the supply chain disruptions, you have to horde a little to keep from running out of what you need. Unfortunately, that makes it a little worse for everyone else. We're in a wage-price (inflationary) spiral.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
With all the supply chain disruptions, you have to horde a little to keep from running out of what you need.
That's been the theme in all the stories I've heard about the warehousing space crunch. No one expects to return to the days of warehousing a quarter's worth of components or raw materials, but many sectors are taking a step back from prior JIT practices to reduce uncertainties.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Looks like bacon or any other pig meat might be a thing of the past in California. A new law took effect at the start of the year that requires pigs have more space to live in their pens. If companies don't make their pig pens larger, they can't sell the meat in or to California. There are two problems with this law. First, the pig farmers have to compete against each other, so anyone who does the required upgrades loses market share to competitors and is then priced out of the market since they can't recoup their expenses. This has caused very few companies to even bother to comply with the new law. Second, even if they comply, there is no slaughterhouse in the U.S. that segregates California meat from other meat so there is no way to be compliant with the law and sell pig meat to California. Goodbye bacon. I guess I'll have to become a pig farmer and keep all the meat for myself to have a proper breakfast. That or we can clear out the people in government that write these stupid laws.

scout24

Flashaholic
I've mentioned this here on CPF before, but it's still topical. Our daughter has a friend whose Mother and Grandmother came here from Russia. Mom in her 20's, Grandmother in her 40's. Both still have a noticeable accent, and talk of going to the stores for food (nevermind clothing and consumer goods) and having the front windows and shelves filled with empty boxes. The few things you could buy were all together in one section. I still have my Grandmother and great-Grandmother's ration books from WWII (Grandfather was 3rd ID on the ground in Germany and Austria.) All of them are or were firm believers in a deep pantry, and I believe there is wisdom there. Canned veggies that were $.47 a can in the spring of 2020 are now $.79. Nothing's going to be cheaper, or more available, than it is today for a long time to come. Take what you will from these words.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've mentioned this here on CPF before, but it's still topical. Our daughter has a friend whose Mother and Grandmother came here from Russia. Mom in her 20's, Grandmother in her 40's. Both still have a noticeable accent, and talk of going to the stores for food (nevermind clothing and consumer goods) and having the front windows and shelves filled with empty boxes. The few things you could buy were all together in one section. I still have my Grandmother and great-Grandmother's ration books from WWII (Grandfather was 3rd ID on the ground in Germany and Austria.) All of them are or were firm believers in a deep pantry, and I believe there is wisdom there. Canned veggies that were $.47 a can in the spring of 2020 are now $.79. Nothing's going to be cheaper, or more available, than it is today for a long time to come. Take what you will from these words.
I've shopped that way for ages. When things which aren't perishable are on sale, I stock up. You don't just save money, but if you're stuck at home for a while due to a disaster at least you have stuff to eat.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've shopped that way for ages. When things which aren't perishable are on sale, I stock up. You don't just save money, but if you're stuck at home for a while due to a disaster at least you have stuff to eat.
With these supply shortages, people start shaming you for hoarding if you try to stock up a little. I see it differently. With a pandemic, each trip to the grocery store is a gamble on whether or not I get sick and spread it to others. If I only have to shop every other week or once a month, I'm lowering the risk of getting sick and spreading it to others. That is reducing the need to get tested and using emergency services. In San Diego, the fire department issued an emergency services brown out because many of their employees called out sick. There is less ambulance service if needed right now. The vaccine doesn't work for the newest variant and masks really never worked. The best option now is limiting contact with people.

Here's a news article about the emergency services brown out that starts today: https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/l...d-19/509-8f180707-77a9-4942-93a6-e5cb5283ac89

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
With these supply shortages, people start shaming you for hoarding if you try to stock up a little. I see it differently. With a pandemic, each trip to the grocery store is a gamble on whether or not I get sick and spread it to others. If I only have to shop every other week or once a month, I'm lowering the risk of getting sick and spreading it to others. That is reducing the need to get tested and using emergency services. In San Diego, the fire department issued an emergency services brown out because many of their employees called out sick. There is less ambulance service if needed right now. The vaccine doesn't work for the newest variant and masks really never worked. The best option now is limiting contact with people.
Well, I've been shopping every other week for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Since I'm going shopping infrequently, I fill up my shopping cart each time I go. The cart holds maybe 100 pounds of groceries. Easy enough to wheel it back the four blocks to home. So far nobody has shamed me. I even stocked up on toilet paper, getting one 20 pack every trip or every other trip.

As for masks, since delta it would have been prudent to wear either N95 masks or respirators. Surgical masks are OK if you go when the store isn't crowded, like I do. Cloth masks are hit or miss. Some are OK, many are useless and more a fashion statement. Anyway, with omicron hitting it's an N95 mask for me until it abates.

wjv

Enlightened
Been buying extra for a while now. I have 12 lbs of ground beef and 20lb+ of checken breast. 6 lbs of cheeses, 10 lbs of butter and other similar basic foods. All stored in a couple freezers.

Here in SW WA State we haven't seen many shortages. Gas is still $3.40 if you shop around. Occasionaly the paper products section at costco or wally world are low.

Noticed the selection of freeze dried food #10 cans at wally world are pretty slim.

I have 111 #10 cans of Augason Farms freeze dried food with 25 year shelf lifes. Another 173 two serving pouches of Mountain House and Alpine Aire freezed dried meals. Then 5 gallon buckets of rice, sugar, flour, oats, pasta and beans. Plus a lot of canned goods. . . Especially canned meats.

Did some shopping when COVID first hit in case we were locked down and couldn't leave our homes.

Also have a lot of stored water and propane tanks so I can prepare meals on our camping stove if necessary.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for masks, since delta it would have been prudent to wear either N95 masks or respirators. Surgical masks are OK if you go when the store isn't crowded, like I do. Cloth masks are hit or miss. Some are OK, many are useless and more a fashion statement. Anyway, with omicron hitting it's an N95 mask for me until it abates.
Unfortunately for me, I have breathing problems wearing a mask. That's why I got fully vaccinated, so I didn't have to wear one. Three weeks after I got my second shot, I had an irregular heartbeat, myoclonic jerks, hand tremors, and fasciculations. I don't know if I was injured by the vaccine, had comorbidities that worsened my health issues taking the vaccine, or if timing was just a coincidence with medical issues just getting worse. In any case, I can't risk taking a booster, and I'm not sure it would even work or for how long until it stops working. With my breathing issues, I can't wear a surgical mask longer than 15 minutes walking around before I'm about to pass out. I can't wear an N95 longer than 5 minutes. If I lift more than 30 pounds with a mask on, I immediately have to take it off and catch my breath for five minutes. My only option has been a face shield, which isn't acceptable for doctor visits. They keep trying to get me to do my doctor visits over the phone, but phone service stinks at my house and all blocked numbers go straight to voicemail. Tried to get a doctor's note from my primary for a medical exemption, and she said ask the neurologist. That appointment got pushed back because he was sick. California issued a statewide mask mandate whether or not you're vaccinated. Shopping as infrequent as possible is an absolute necessity for me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Back in 020 when things were in panic mode I did stock up, but a little at a time so that others could have some too. If there were 10 cans of tuna left I didn't buy all 10. Instead of my usual 2 I'd buy 4. Before long I had 20. Same with spagetti noodles, chicken, etc.
At one point I did buy 96 rolls of toilet paper but that was so I could set out 12 packs on elderly neighbors front porches after it got dark.

I had bought a half a cow before the prices went sky high and gave most of that to friends, family and neighbors. Aint no need to panic. God ensures the sparrow doesn't starve and Heaven knows He aint let my fatarse miss a meal either. Is it always exactly what I want? Nope, but I grew up knowing you can't always get what you want, when you want it. But I haven't had to resort to eating bugs yet.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 111 #10 cans of Augason Farms freeze dried food with 25 year shelf lifes. Another 173 two serving pouches of Mountain House and Alpine Aire freezed dried meals. Then 5 gallon buckets of rice, sugar, flour, oats, pasta and beans. Plus a lot of canned goods. . . Especially canned meats.
When I was working as an electrical apprentice, I made good money. I stocked up on boxes of Mountain House freeze dried food from Costco. I thought I would be prepared for anything. Then I found out I had celiac disease and couldn't eat a single meal I bought. They say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. They don't tell you what to do if you're allergic to those lemons.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Unfortunately for me, I have breathing problems wearing a mask. That's why I got fully vaccinated, so I didn't have to wear one. Three weeks after I got my second shot, I had an irregular heartbeat, myoclonic jerks, hand tremors, and fasciculations. I don't know if I was injured by the vaccine, had comorbidities that worsened my health issues taking the vaccine, or if timing was just a coincidence with medical issues just getting worse. In any case, I can't risk taking a booster, and I'm not sure it would even work or for how long until it stops working. With my breathing issues, I can't wear a surgical mask longer than 15 minutes walking around before I'm about to pass out. I can't wear an N95 longer than 5 minutes. If I lift more than 30 pounds with a mask on, I immediately have to take it off and catch my breath for five minutes. My only option has been a face shield, which isn't acceptable for doctor visits. They keep trying to get me to do my doctor visits over the phone, but phone service stinks at my house and all blocked numbers go straight to voicemail. Tried to get a doctor's note from my primary for a medical exemption, and she said ask the neurologist. That appointment got pushed back because he was sick. California issued a statewide mask mandate whether or not you're vaccinated. Shopping as infrequent as possible is an absolute necessity for me.
Have you tried a respirator like this? I bought one not long after the pandemic started. Haven't worn it to the store yet, but it's useful when doing stuff around the house where I might inhale chemicals. Much easier to breathe than with any kind of mask, plus it offers better protection.

I don't much like masks myself, especially in the summers, but it's better than getting covid.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, but no thanks. $100 is a bit pricy. It's cheaper to limit contact and shop less frequently, less gas money spent. Still don't know what is causing my breathing problem. I do fine hiking without a mask, but run short of breath talking while hiking. It's like I have to take in two breaths instead of one to speak, sing, cough, breathe with a mask on, etc. Hope they can figure out what's causing it and do something about it. I also hope these mask and vaccine mandates end soon before the government kills me trying to save me.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any restriction in breathing puts me on borrowed time before having to take it off or pass out. So far, stores haven't complained with me using a face shield. It's the best I can do. Doctor's offices require surgical masks or N95 masks. I wait in the car for them to call me in when possible and try to get through it quickly. Not going to waste the little money I have on a respirator. If it gets that bad, I'll be on lockdown at home.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

NIOSH N95 is all I've used for 18 months, and the only thing I would ever use. The U.S. government (CDC) badly misled the public regarding this, and did so quite intentionally using the justification of protecting the supply for front-line / healthcare workers. They only fully admitted to this in the past two weeks when they began strongly recommending "KN95". I have no doubt that many have suffered due to that misleading initial recommendation. Fortunately I had some background knowledge up front and knew better. NIOSH N95s are highly effective (if properly fitted [fit tested] when used, of course). Be aware that although the more widely available KN95 should be as effective in terms of filtration, that standard allows higher pressure differential (more restrictive / more resistance to air flow), and thus are more difficult to use, and this is a particular issue for those with compromised breathing. If you have such issues, definitely stick to NIOSH N95.

I too have and have long used a half-face cartridge respirator (3M 6000 series) w/ NIOSH P100 + 'organic vapor' rating, and can't even smell the harshest household chemical / cleaning products. [EDIT: To be exact, it's actually the '3M 60923 P100 organic vapor / acid gas' type.] N / P100 is also the 'gold standard' for particulates (including viruses), but are generally off limits for virus protection in the current environment due to the fact that they always (or nearly so) incorporate an exhale valve, which is forbidden in many environments. Don't even try to get on a plane wearing one.

Most so-called 'cloth masks' (as recommended by our government) are largely ineffective. So-called 'surgical masks' are only marginally better, but very ineffective compared with N95. NIOSH N95 is THE way to go in this virus environment, with KN95 being usable if that's all you can find, but again beware if you have breathing issues. Supplier links are frowned upon here, but If anyone here is having difficulty finding NIOSH N95s, let me know and I'll post one anyway. My trusted supplier still has stock on several types (as of now).

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
NIOSH N95 is all I've used for 18 months, and the only thing I would ever use. The U.S. government (CDC) badly misled the public regarding this, and did so quite intentionally using the justification of protecting the supply for front-line / healthcare workers. They only fully admitted to this in the past two weeks when they began strongly recommending "KN95". I have no doubt that many have suffered due to that misleading initial recommendation. Fortunately I had some background knowledge up front and knew better. NIOSH N95s are highly effective (if properly fitted [fit tested] when used, of course). Be aware that although the more widely available KN95 should be as effective in terms of filtration, that standard allows higher pressure differential (more restrictive / more resistance to air flow), and thus are more difficult to use, and this is a particular issue for those with compromised breathing. If you have such issues, definitely stick to NIOSH N95.
Going on two years ago, actual KN95's were better than the cloth/surgical masks and neck gaiters that were popular - the media specification is substantially similar to N95 and the fitment at least pulled the media against the face. The trouble of course was finding a reputable supplier - the 'zon was full of knockoffs that clearly didn't make the filtration spec and even managed to cockup the semistandard 2-part welded construction.

As at least 6 months ago, N95s again became plentiful thus the argument for KN95 greatly weakened. The construction of most 3D N95s is superior to the 2D folding KN95 and the around-the-head straps provide for a superior seal against the face.

I'm still lousy with KN95s so I'm still using them as replacement filter media for some knockoff RZ masks I obtained early on. I then place a surgical mask over the exhaust valves primarily for the benefit of those around me. My exposure is hardly occupational so I'm OK with the middling performance relative to actual N95s and unlike every other option I've tried, the arrangement doesn't fog my glasses like it was a primary design consideration.

N / P100 is also the 'gold standard' for particulates (including viruses), but are generally off limits for virus protection in the current environment due to the fact that they always (or nearly so) incorporate an exhale valve, which is forbidden in many environments. Don't even try to get on a plane wearing one.
For casual usage I'll slip a surgical mask over my P100 setup's exhaust valve; I only expect to do this if I'm at a place like the local makerspace where I might need to wear a mask continuously for hours, it also works as PPE in the various shops, and can't take it off at all and thus want the ease of breathing without adjustment of the mask.

Most so-called 'cloth masks' (as recommended by our government) are largely ineffective. So-called 'surgical masks' are only marginally better, but very ineffective compared with N95.
The whole improvised PPE push ~Q1 2020 was about reducing overall numbers in terms of cases while the purpose of discouraging mass usage of N95 et al was about protecting the supply chain for healthcare. I remember that just about to the day that the first guidance on face masks was given, N95s vanished from the shelves of local big box stores - both the likes of megalomart and the orange despot.

From a public health perspective any meaningful reduction is a worthwhile avenue, but from an individual perspective crap methods that do little to protect you are a tough sell. I do wonder if the push for cloth masks - with the filter pocket that almost no one used and didn't really matter since fitment was more for comfort than perimeter seal - was a clever bit of social engineering knowing that customization was likely which would see more usage than the likes of more-effective KN95/FFP2/KF94/* masks and would thus bump macro numbers more.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I understand the issue with those who have breathing issues, and the additional stress that comes with wearing an effective mask, whether it be a N95, or half face respirator.

I have seen some people wear a half face respirator, that had a battery powered fan worn on their hip, or around their waist, that supplies filtered air into the mask. It would make breathing much easier, like using a cpap machine.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Been buying extra for a while now. I have 12 lbs of ground beef and 20lb+ of checken breast. 6 lbs of cheeses, 10 lbs of butter and other similar basic foods. All stored in a couple freezers.

Here in SW WA State we haven't seen many shortages. Gas is still $3.40 if you shop around. Occasionaly the paper products section at costco or wally world are low.

Noticed the selection of freeze dried food #10 cans at wally world are pretty slim.

Did some shopping when COVID first hit in case we were locked down and couldn't leave our homes.

Also have a lot of stored water and propane tanks so I can prepare meals on our camping stove if necessary.

Found the cause of the supply shortage...