Parasitic Drain in D Cell Maglite LED Flashlights

Photon

Newly Enlightened
I have a couple of Maglite D cell LED flashlights that show signs of parasitic drain. Instead of D cells, I use the latest generation (10 year) Eneloop AA batteries with 3xAA -> D cell adapters. After about 9 months in storage, the batteries in the 2xD cell light were down to about 60%. The 3xD cell light was in storage for a little over a year, and the batteries were completely drained.

I understand that some flashlights have parasitic drain that is used for the mode memory, but the 2D light is a bare-bones, switch on / switch off, single level flashlight. Why on earth would there be any parasitic drain? The 3xD cell light has 3 levels, but there is no mode memory.

Is this a known issue with Maglites? Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks.

Tesla

Enlightened
Re-chargeable batteries self-discharge over time. Parasitic drain is not the issue. That's why that type of batteries are not appropriate for seldom used lights that sit in storage.

wrf

Newly Enlightened
...have parasitic drain that is used for the mode memory...

Also for "electronic switches" which may explain your 3D (depending on model) but probably not explain your 2D.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your single mode 2D should have no drain; Eneloops are low self discharge but they will still self discharge over time and this is greatly accelerated if you are storing them anywhere they are exposed to high temperatures.

The multi mode 3D has a electronic switch so there is going to be a small stand by drain - for storage, loosen the tail cap 1/4 turn to break the circuit and stop the drain.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You can unscrew the tailcap a bit on multi level Mags and single level.
Just turn on the light and twist until it turns off. Usually only a small amount of a turn.

The multi level kind turns itself off at that point. But the single level one will turn back on when you retighten the tailcap. You won't know the circuit is reestablished in the multi level version.

The reason I mention that is storing the multi level one with something pressing on the tailcap, it won't turn back on until switched on. But the single level one can light if enough pressure is applied to the tailcap.
In both cases a half turn should be enough to prevent that from happening.

Now I cannot speak for current generations of eneloops, but the early ones used to cite "up to 50% charge remains after 1 year".

Mr. LED

Enlightened
Even the 1st generation eneloops claimed 85% retention after one year. The current 4th generation claims 90% in 1 year and 70% in 10 years. And OP claimed to be using latest generation, so the problem shouldn't be the batteries.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I stand corrected:

IMG_20180825_172132.jpg

An unopen pack of 1st gen