pd35

kj2

Flashaholic
I'm probably one of the few people how actually likes the side-switch. Sure it's not handy when you need to change the modes fast, but I don't need to.
Further I like the mode-memory. But what is the problem to switch when you need a lower level. Sure, you don't want your PD32UE to turn-on on turbo while your wife is sleeping next to you ;)
but that's just something to keep in mind. When I need light in my house I always grab a smaller light with lower max lumens. That way I keep myself from blinding myself or somebody else. Just something to keep in mind.
Some people tend to wanna have a light that can do everything, very low-lumens for in-house and a search-light for the outdoors. That's not going to happen people :)

markr6

Flashaholic
What about something like the Olight UI , specifically on the M22?

I recently used one and liked the UI. You had to turn the head back and forth to switch modes which requires 2 hands and can be a pain. But it only had 3 modes, and you can double-click the switch to get into high mode immediately. So you could basically have instant access to low and high, then manually switch to medium if you really had to. Triple click for strobe. I was impressed by this simple UI and wouldn't mind seeing it from other manufacturers.

gsteve

Enlightened
or just put lighted red dot above the switch. I just dont like rolling the light around in my hand looking for the switch

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about something like the Olight UI , specifically on the M22?

I recently used one and liked the UI. You had to turn the head back and forth to switch modes which requires 2 hands and can be a pain. But it only had 3 modes, and you can double-click the switch to get into high mode immediately. So you could basically have instant access to low and high, then manually switch to medium if you really had to. Triple click for strobe. I was impressed by this simple UI and wouldn't mind seeing it from other manufacturers.
A triple click may start being too much (though IMO is still better than searching for a side switch) but the double click to jump straight to the highest output is a very nice feature to have both for twisties or even for lights with mode memory and several output modes to cycle through.

or just put lighted red dot above the switch. I just dont like rolling the light around in my hand looking for the switch
Even having the mode switch in GITD material would already help - regardless of where the mode switch is located on the head or side of the tailcap.

Last edited:

Tyler A

Newly Enlightened
Good point... having it light up would be great because you are right, finding the side switch can be a pain sometimes, however, I do like the side switch in general.

I like the side switch user interface of my fenix lights but finding it got on my nerves as well, a simple fix is rotating the pocket clip to the same side as the button then you can orient it in your hand properly. Works for me but YMMV.

To the original topic I just got my pd32 ue and I love it so I will definitely be down for a pd35. Hopefully the light stays slim in the head like the pd32ue

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Re: fenix pd35

The UI of the older models like pd30, ld10 etc is very good IMHO.
I know there are those that prefere mode memory but I just got an idea.
My Lumapower Incendio V3 has 3 modes with mode memory.
But you can click 4 times quickly and then it locks in whatever mode you want and is almost like a single mode light untill you unlock it again.
So, if you ad that function to the old Fenix UI you get a light that behaves like a pd30 (without mode memory) but you can also lock it and then it is almost like a Quark tactical.
You should of course be able to have it locked in for example max with bezel tight and unlocked with bezel loose.

Does it make sence?
Seems pretty good to me.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

Makes perfect sense to me! :)

The potentially new UI on the PD35 is the feature I'm most curious about. If it's coming out in June we should soon have more details.

TK41

Newly Enlightened

I doubt it's coming out in June. No details yet and it's almost June! Unless Fenix released specs very shortly before shipping out to distributors?

Patriot

Flashaholic

I also don't mind the side switch. If I had to chose between loosening a head or having a side switch, I prefer the solidity of a fixed head and side switch every time. It can be hard to find at times so I think a back lit button that was raised 1-2mm would take care of that problem.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I doubt it's coming out in June. No details yet and it's almost June! Unless Fenix released specs very shortly before shipping out to distributors?
The Fenix PD31 was announced on December 13 2010 and few stores had it in stock before new year's eve. I guess everything is possible: I have seen some models being available for pre-order or in stock even before the light was actually announced on the Fenix website.

I also don't mind the side switch. If I had to chose between loosening a head or having a side switch, I prefer the solidity of a fixed head and side switch every time. It can be hard to find at times so I think a back lit button that was raised 1-2mm would take care of that problem.
A lot of people don't mind the side switch in the same way that a lot people liked the old UI and find the side switch a deal-breaker.
Personal preferences aside, both UIs have their pros and cons. In my opinion, if Fenix want to get ahead of the competition, they need to come up either with a really innovative UI or at least with a UI that is just customizable enough to offer the pros of both UIs and appeal to a wide range of potential buyers. I'd say designing a light with a very innovative UI is going to be tough these days but they might at least design a UI that can be configured to fit different needs. Whatever they do, they will never make everybody happy, that's for sure!

Last edited:

CyberCT

Enlightened

I am very interested in this light. Wish thei XML2 in the light was neutral though. I really like the tint on my brother's PD32UE.

I'll bet the "turbo" mode of the PD35 in cool white XMLU2 is going to be roughly 520 lumens. It's funny to think that the TK40, which was my first Fenix flashlight, had a non-ANSI output of 630 lumens. With ANSI it's probably about 550 lumens, which is close to this light in a much smaller package. Amazing to see how technology progresses.

I really do wish Fenix would get on the bandwagon of lower lows though. That's one reason I really like my PD31, which I swapped a neutral XPG in it. 1 lumen would be more ideal.

The size of the light compared to the PD32UE will probably be the same. Maybe even the same driver.

chad allred

Newly Enlightened

I'm in...Fenix is very hard on my wallet!
I really like the tint of my UE and hope it is the same...
That being said I still don't dig the side switches...
And a lower low would be great...

kj2

Flashaholic

Here it is! :D

2rxy7x2.jpg
Dealer pricing; € 71,95

- Eco (10 ANSI lumen, 140 u)
- Low (45 ANSI lumen, 29 u)
- Mid (170 ANSI lumen, 7 u, 45 min.)
- High (450 ANSI lumen, 2 u 30 min.)
- Turbo (850 ANSI lumen, 1 u)
- 185 mtr according ANSI

Looking at the picture, tail-stand should be possible :)
Think intensity will be around 8500cd.

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the pic!

Looks shorter and nicer than the PD32UE!!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the new look but the bezel does not seem to be crenelatated - it would be a real shame!

Sent from my ST27i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

Probably CW XM-L2 (T6)
:sick2: Oh well, maybe a neutral option at some point.

Size looks pretty close to the PD32UE if my crude comparison is accurate and bodies are the same thickness. Actually now that I look at it, I made the PD32UE too thick, so they may be exact same length. We'll have to wait and see!
PD35.gif