pd35

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: fenix pd35

Seems like a loser. They didn't fix the flaws of the PD32ue. The PD32ue was a perfect cool-white, 5000K, which should be Fenix's standard.
-: It is 1mm longer, and they REMOVED the crenelated bezel.
+: Flattened edge of heatsink as anti-roll is a plus
+: Larger 1" head/reflector improves throw (what about body tube diameter? looks like carryover)
+: Brighter strobe
-: No more SOS
So this has less outdoors appeal, and more security guard appeal.
+1
I thought the head diameter is identical: has it changed?

Patriot

Flashaholic

Seems like a loser. They didn't fix the flaws of the PD32ue. The PD32ue was a perfect cool-white, 5000K, which should be Fenix's standard.
-: It is 1mm longer, and they REMOVED the crenelated bezel.
+: Flattened edge of heatsink as anti-roll is a plus
+: Larger 1" head/reflector improves throw (what about body tube diameter? looks like carryover)
+: Brighter strobe
-: No more SOS
So this has less outdoors appeal, and more security guard appeal.

The PD32UE certainly wasn't a loser and I suspect this won't be either.
I don't like SOS so I'm glad it's gone. Likewise, the cenelated bezel wasn't all that important to me. I don't think that the lack of SOS automatically takes away outdoor appeal or increases security appeal. I imagine the PD35 will appeal to the same group of people that the PD32UE appealed to, albeit with their newest design.

buds224

Enlightened

I imagine the PD35 will appeal to the same group of people that the PD32UE appealed to, albeit with their newest design.

That's how I feel as a PD32ue owner. The specs, as they are now, is only missing one thing (for my tastes)......and that's a form of firefly mode. 1lumen or less would have rounded this package nicely for me.

radiopej

Enlightened
Figures, I just ordered the PD32 UE 3 days ago and now I see this :(

If the side switch is really hard to find in the dark, I'm just going to put a dot of glow-in-the-dark marker or a tiny sticker on when it arrives. Ideally I'd just put one of the little tritium watch markers on, but I can't find them on eBay.

buds224

Enlightened

If the side switch is really hard to find in the dark, I'm just going to put a dot of glow-in-the-dark marker or a tiny sticker on when it arrives. Ideally I'd just put one of the little tritium watch markers on, but I can't find them on eBay.

That's what I did to my 1stGen PD32 and PD32ue. I also line up the clip to the side switch for good measure.

Big Dave

Newly Enlightened

I good trick someone mentioned on a review was to turn the pocket clip so it is in line with the side switch. This makes the side switch much easier to find in the dark, just slide your finger down the pocket clip. Still nowhere near as easy as a tail click system though which i much prefer.

TK41

Newly Enlightened
Instant strobe finally, yay! SOS? Good riddance. Just a 99.99% useless mode. One less thing to scroll through. Strobe signals much more efficiently and is more practical in many scenarios. SOS? When's the last time somebody really needed an SOS on a flashlight of this size? Really...

I agree with others. Why isn't Fenix understanding... LOWER LOW. 10 lumens is still too bright for close up reading. Sigh. They just don't get it.

Now I will have the PD32 G2, PD32 UE and the PD35 to compare against eachother. I am likely going to sell off one of them. I am thinking it may be the PD32 G2 since PD32 UE is unique with it's tint and the PD35 will cover the cool white area that the PD32 G2 also features.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

They need to do away with all the strobes, sos and other disco light modes.

Still paying attention, but haven't bought a fenix of that type since they've gone that direction.

light ho

Newly Enlightened
Only had my PD 32 ue about a week but could not turn this down and order the PD 35 today:)

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are hidden, so if you don't use them you don't have to.

Exactly! Doesn't add to cost, hidden, and useful. The strobe, if you have a flat tire at night, or loose a kid in the crowd. You might like the SOS, if you ever needed it. The strobe is great for Halloween, and probably good to scare off dogs, maybe. The biggest downside of these modes is that they are so hidden, I have a hard time finding them.

I adults have too many vestiges of child insanity that I see with my kids. Can't drink from a blue straw today, can't eat corn with a tad of tasteless starch. I will only use a Dora the Explorer flashlight, no matter how dim. I hope Dora grows up and gets a black PD32. Or she's really going to get lost in that jungle with her $9 pretty, purple, 8 lumen light.

Last edited:

TK41

Newly Enlightened
The biggest downside of these modes is that they are so hidden, I have a hard time finding them.

Not this time. It's press and hold the mode button and it's on instantly. No need to fuss with the tail cap first.

I believe they may have removed SOS due to the instant on strobe feature. It probably would complicate the circuitry, the chip, or???

If it came down to either having instant strobe or SOS + non-instant strobe, I'd take instant strobe without SOS.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not this time. It's press and hold the mode button and it's on instantly. No need to fuss with the tail cap first.

I believe they may have removed SOS due to the instant on strobe feature. It probably would complicate the circuitry, the chip, or???

If it came down to either having instant strobe or SOS + non-instant strobe, I'd take instant strobe without SOS.
That means the side mode switch can activate the strobe from off? Other lights that offer that feature have parasitic drain: I'd be surprised if the PD35 wouldn't!
On a light with 5 output levels to cycle through inline and mode memory I'm not sure it makes any sense. I guess for some will.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix PD32ue was about 1/2" too long. 5" for an 18650 performance light with a forward click is just right. So I was hoping Fenix would count, and re-count their millimeters to decrease the overall length.
Weight: we can't complain about an increase of 1/2 oz to 3 oz, because 'back in the day' people use to carry 3 lb Maglites.
A crenelated bezel provides feedback to the user to prevent unintentional operation when set head down. I understand that 'security' type usage may prefer no output when placed head down, and possible liability of a so called 'strike bezel'.

Another mark against outdoors operation in the large increase in lux. 6000 to 8600, and a peak output change from 740 to 850, means a 25% relative increase. So your new 10 lumen low mode is going to be way brighter than the previous 9 lumen.

Outdoors type would have preferred a beacon mode to go along with an SOS/strobe, or the outright removal of strobe. (strobe doesn't work on 4 legged animals)

It was pointless for the previous PD32ue to automatically shift down from its 400 lumen mode to 140 lumen. Heat wasn't the concern, increasing runtime was-thank you big brother Fenix?. Why, when the largest capacity 18650 cells give you 3x cr123A worth of energy. I would hope that is gone on the PD35.

and supposedly Fenix went extreme cool-white, 6800K. That is hugely worlds away from the legendary TK20.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix PD32ue was about 1/2" too long. 5" for an 18650 performance light with a forward click is just right. So I was hoping Fenix would count, and re-count their millimeters to decrease the overall length.
Weight: we can't complain about an increase of 1/2 oz to 3 oz, because 'back in the day' people use to carry 3 lb Maglites.
A crenelated bezel provides feedback to the user to prevent unintentional operation when set head down. I understand that 'security' type usage may prefer no output when placed head down, and possible liability of a so called 'strike bezel'.

Another mark against outdoors operation in the large increase in lux. 6000 to 8600, and a peak output change from 740 to 850, means a 25% relative increase. So your new 10 lumen low mode is going to be way brighter than the previous 9 lumen.

Outdoors type would have preferred a beacon mode to go along with an SOS/strobe, or the outright removal of strobe. (strobe doesn't work on 4 legged animals)

It was pointless for the previous PD32ue to automatically shift down from its 400 lumen mode to 140 lumen. Heat wasn't the concern, increasing runtime was-thank you big brother Fenix?. Why, when the largest capacity 18650 cells give you 3x cr123A worth of energy. I would hope that is gone on the PD35.

and supposedly Fenix went extreme cool-white, 6800K. That is hugely worlds away from the legendary TK20.

I agree with all your saying except for the "strike bezel" part: the crenulation on the Fenix LD and PD lights may have been everything but a strike bezel. Removing it because of possible liability of a so called "strike bezel" is like deciding to put down bamby because of possible liability of devouring human beings!
As for the security type of usage: you may be right but I don't security want to accidentally put the light head down while on and find the battery dead when the pick it up for an actual emergency. If anything, crenulation would have allowed to check on the last saved output mode without risking to descreetly shine 800 lumens all over the place first.

True crenulation is not essential, nor is a lower low output that allows you keep your night vision to some extent and gives very long runtime. Same goes for neutral white: I guess that must be why they ditched all these nice-to-have features! What's next, knurling? After all, if you hold it tight and wear gloves with a grip, it will be unlikely for the light to slip out of your hand!

Latest posts