Peak Eiger: Ordered!

artec540

Enlightened
See new post (#3) below.

Hi. I'm thinking about picking up an Eiger #5 or #6 medium. I've seen some beam shots that make me think there's very little spill on these. Anyone able to describe the beam? I have or have had Novatac, Ra, photon micolights, quark minis, nitecore smart PDs. I realize the Peak will not be as bright, I'm just looking for beam characteristics. I want to use this as a low profile EDC, it doesn't need a lot of throw and it doesn't need to be super bright, but a decent sidespill is a must.

Thoughts?

I have both a narrow and a medium Eiger, though both mine are # 8s. The medium has very wide cover and really not much of a discernible hotspot. The narrow has a fairly well-defined hotspot but quite good spill. You might want to take this with a grain or two of salt because I'm addicted to throw, so what's good spill to me may be much too tight to you.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If you don't watch it with that website, you're going to accidentally start selling flashlights... :twothumbs
:D

those look fantastic with the HAIII bodies and Stainless heads. Nicely done!

Thanks! It started off as a function thing. Quality steel is tougher than even Ti (gasp!) but its heavy. SS heads + HA bodies put the strength were its needed most and keep the overall weight down by wrapping the heaviest part (the batteries) in the lightest material, aluminum. Small aluminum lights also tend to be 'back heavy', so loaded with a cell, these feel balanced too.

It wasn't until we saw them that we said wow:

peakprofiles.jpg

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, looks like I can include Peak again to my brands... :twothumbs

In fact, I gave up trying to get some directly from Peak, mission impossible without phoning (which I hate).

The Hybrids look indeed fantastic! :cool:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:D

Thanks! It started off as a function thing. Quality steel is tougher than even Ti (gasp!) but its heavy. SS heads + HA bodies put the strength were its needed most and keep the overall weight down by wrapping the heaviest part (the batteries) in the lightest material, aluminum. Small aluminum lights also tend to be 'back heavy', so loaded with a cell, these feel balanced too.

It wasn't until we saw them that we said wow:

peakprofiles.jpg

I'm waiting for my El Cap. I ordered it in SS with the extra HA body for exactly the reasons you said. :D

recDNA

Flashaholic
It may not be as good but the only thing that temps me to buy a Peak is to get one in brass. It LOOKS cool even if it isn't the ideal material.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm worried about SS on Al, but there probably shouldn't become a prob. BTW: anyone know how many lumens level 1 is and how long will it run?

carrot

Flashaholic
It may not be as good but the only thing that temps me to buy a Peak is to get one in brass. It LOOKS cool even if it isn't the ideal material.
I'm curious, what do you see as downsides of brass?

To me, the only thing I don't like is that it smells funny. Otherwise, I love the way it looks and feels.

tucolino

Newly Enlightened
i don´t know about others,but all my conversations with robyn were made by email.didn´t have any problem to acquire a ss el capitan from them.
and i live in spain....

electronguru, that site is looking terrific,nice work!!

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
It's here!

My HAIII Peak Eiger #6 Medium with Momentary Button has arrived! (That description is a mouthful.)

At first I was not terribly impressed. Workmanship was fantastic, quality parts worked well together. But it seemed rather, dim. Weak. Diffused.

But...

Then nightfall came. Wow! What a fantatic, highly useable, gorgeous beam pattern. Easily lights an entire room.

The next day I had a chance to use it to poke around in the dark corners of my car... and later my wife's cavernous purse... to hunt for lost articles. My initial impression of dim and weak was put to rest. Even in ambient daylight, the #6 medium performed perfectly for hunting in these confined little places.

I'm vey impressed! It's a bit longer than I anticipated, but no bigger than my fisher space pen, so I can deal with that for the single level ease and great beam.

Thanks to all CPFers who helped me settle on the power and beam size for this light. My new EDC!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered 2 Eigers both #0.5

*one HAIII with SS head wide beam

*one brass with medium beam

*extra 2xAAA brass body tube

*2 black delrin end caps

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
glad to hear you're liking it!

i ordered my eiger #7 brass, medium beam, neutral, last week. havent received shipping notice yet, maybe itll surprise me in the mail:D likely not, but im still hopeful lol.

beacon of light- i tried to put another eiger in the shopping cart on peak's website, but it would say its out of stock. but then, your order does seem more custom.

De-Lux

Enlightened
Still under construction, but this at least gives you the idea:

http://www.oveready.com/peak-led-flashlights/cat_54.html

I will have to order my next Peak through you. Your site is very impressive. I have three Eigers already and am looking into getting a Logan. I noticed that you don't show rechargeable lithium ion cells as being compatible with the Eigers on your site. You may want to change that. Otherwise, your site is amazing and will definately be buying product from you in the future.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I noticed that you don't show rechargeable lithium ion cells as being compatible with the Eigers on your site.

Thanks for the note. This is something we have considered. I have an unprotected/unsafe chem in my personal Eiger (10280), but I'm reluctant to move outside of protected or safe for my listed battery options, which are seen by non CPF'ers. The El Cap will soon have the IMR14500 for example, but there is and will be no 'consumer friendly' lithium option in the 10440 size. OTOH, I've not heard of any incidents with smaller unprotected cells.

Darvis

Enlightened
Beacon of Light, any Idea as to what the lumen output might turn out be on those 0.5 Eigers?

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the note. This is something we have considered. I have an unprotected/unsafe chem in my personal Eiger (10280), but I'm reluctant to move outside of protected or safe for my listed battery options, which are seen by non CPF'ers. The El Cap will soon have the IMR14500 for example, but there is and will be no 'consumer friendly' lithium option in the 10440 size. OTOH, I've not heard of any incidents with smaller unprotected cells.

I use an unprotected 10440 in my #4 Eiger but am careful during recharging and do not let it get drained low. BTW, I have atually seen the first protected 10440 cell (At least to me) being offered at Batteryjunction.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beacon of Light, any Idea as to what the lumen output might turn out be on those 0.5 Eigers?

I'm hoping 1 lumen or less. It might be around 3 or so which would be ok considering the multi level switch will lower that considerably when it is released in the coming months (hopefully before Christmas).