Places and things to do in San Antonio TX.?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am taking my family to San Antonio next week for a mini-getaway, any locals want to share some good places to visit besides the usual? (Fiesta Texas, riverwalk, Alamo etc) I am traveling with wife, and my 2 boys, 10 and 11 y.o.

Restaurants, attractions, interesting places, museums, Flashlight stores (Hope wife doesn't read it:eek:oo:) are all being considered.

Thanks for your help.

AlexGT

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, no good flashlight stores.

Will you be staying downtown or in another area?

If you like museums go to the Witte on Broadway and then head over to the McNay (it's about 10-15 minutes from the Witte). The Witte has the Amazon Voyage as the main event at the moment. The Witte is also right by our Zoo and a nice park with a train ride for the kids. You can spend almost the whole day in that little area. The McNay has more to do with artwork and such. It is so beautiful there and has great scenery, bring your camera for outdoor pictures.

We have some nice missions and you can show the kids our still operating aqua ducts that at sections actually run up hill. The only thing I do not like about the missions/ aqua ducts is that they are not in the nicest part of town.

If you will be staying downtown, head by the Southwest School of Arts. They have a very nice courtyard that opens up to the river that is very nice if you are into that kind of thing.

We have Sea World if you like big fishes.

If you or the wife like outdoor type farmers markets, head over to the old Pearl Brewery. They converted it into a upscale loft type living, small shops, eats and farmers type market on the weekend. There is a BBQ vendor there on the weekends that has some of the best BBQ I have ever had. They sell these little sliders in either pulled pork, brisket or sausage, they are so good.

Let's see for eats, I would sugguest the following.

Chris Madrids if you like a really good greasy burger and a beer. They also have nachos, chicken sandwhiches and etc... but are known for their burgers. It can get packed though. There is also a really good burger place that I like better than Chris Madrids called Tycoon Flats. It is off St. Marys street which is somewhat near the zoo/ Witte right off 281 near downtown. They also have a live band on the weekend sometimes outside and serve drinks.

If you like Mexican, there is the usual places downtown such as Mi Tierra Cafe and La Margarita are two of my favorites downtown.

If you want a really good home style breakfast you have to eat at Magnolia Pancake Haus but be prepared to wait if you go on the weekend.

If you like Chinese, there is PF Chang's at the Quarry but it's kind of fancy. I also like Formosa Gardens equally and it's more kid friendly. Either way, you might swing the wife and kids by the Quarry shopping center. As you can imagine, it is an old rock quarry that they converted into an upscale shopping center. It still has a lot of the stacks and there is a nice movie theater there that used a lot of the old equipment as decorating/ building material.

Of course I will remember all kinds of good places to visit after you leave. Let me know what area you will be staying in and what things your family likes to do.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your reply, very useful info! We plan in staying in the west side near six flags, we like doing outdoor activities and going out of the ordinary at times, do you know any good shopping places for the wife?

Thanks!
AlexGT

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you will be staying out by Six Flags, there is a lot of shopping out there. It is a very nice area, they call it the RIM. They do have a Bass Pro Shop out there. There is also some nice shopping for your wife. There is a Nordstroms, Saks and a nice day spa along with many other shops/ department store. It's a huge outdoor shopping center. There are also really great places to eat out there.

I will try to think of some outdoor type activities to do.