Please help me - give me a reason NOT to buy an INOVA X5 at Target..

redduck

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at the specs of X5 from flashlight reviews and wondering why would anyone want one of these. 2 x123 and about 12 lumens at $50, why? :ohgeez:

slowTwitch

Newly Enlightened
PrimiToad said:
Would I do better with an x0 or maybe a t-1?

X0 is brighter and has more throw. It's noticeably larger, weighs more, has shorter battery life, and the beam is too tight for my purposes. T2 has more comparable battery life, but again, a pretty tight beam. I haven't owned a T1.

Cheers!

TunnelVision

Newly Enlightened
My reason not to buy it: You'll end up buying more than 1!!!

Seriously though, I blame Target for forcing me to buy them. Thats right! Forcing me!! My wife always wants me to go with her to Target and I always browse the flashlight aisle. Then I see those X5s hanging neatly and all shiny and everything.

Sure, when I had to mail order them, it was controllable. But now seeing them for easy grabbing, I shamefully have 5!! 3 whites all from target, along with my green and red from an online purchase a while ago.

When I lived in my apartment, the mail was about 50 feet away from my door, and I usually went and checked it around 1am. I would always bring my X5. I also have an odd habit of tossing it up and playing catch while its lit up and I'm walking to my mailbox... once and only once I failed to catch it and it crashed down into the pavement. There was a noticeable ding on the steel bezel corner but there is still no scratch on the anodizing on the body. After that day I always have that particular X5 with me where ever I go.

And as such I've been buying them at target for glove compartments and toolboxes.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had switch problems with both the original X5 and my X5T. Assuming I'm in the minority here and other then the fact that it is built like a tank which certainly is desireable, there are better values these days. I don't believe it's regulated and from another thread, it's reasonably certain the LEDs used are not the latest Nichia CS. That has not been confirmed one way or another but has been a general opinion of users including myself who have tried the light in store. I think it's a good light, not a particular good value compared to what else has come down the pike these days.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I carried an X5 as a back up light for years on duty. It was used for the times I did not need very much light such as searching the floors of cars for narcotics or even preparing a report inside the vehicle. I swear it seemed like it ran for a year on a set of 123 cells. This light never failed me and it was put through hell....honestly one of the toughest lights I have had.
I grew tired of it once better lights came out for equal or less money. I destroyed it on purpose trying to fashion a mod out of it and even trying to destroy it proved very difficult.
The single reason I would say not to buy it is maybe its lack of versatility. It is a no compromise light with one setting and no real way to improve it or update it....well not without incredible effort anyway. There are several lights that make almost as much light in a much smaller package. You will be hard pressed to find many lights however that will run as long as the X5.
I enjoyed mine so much I bought another after destroying my original however rarely do use it that much. It was once my go to light and I never thought of another however time proved to pass the trusty X5 by for other lights in smaller form.
Now that I think about it I really cant give much in the way of talking you out of an X5 however I will say to look at many others first if money is tight. I really can only think of a few lights that have held my interest and some are customs or modded versions of production lights. The only light that I can say that I never grew tired of is my Ultra-G. It makes decent light for a long time and is equally as tough as the X5. At one time you could get 2 for the cost of one X5 and it uses cheaper batteries....well that is another thread however good luck with your decision.

Raven

Enlightened
I'm debating whether to buy another Gerber LX3 or an Inova X0.

They're both Lux 3, but that's about the only thing they have in common.

Gerber uses 3 aa batteries.
Inova uses 2 lithium 123 batteries.

Gerber has a tail cap that twist.
Inova has a tail cap switch.

Gerber is not regulated.
Inova is regulated.

Gerber has an off center hot spot.
Inova reportedly has a lense that rattles.

Gerber has a stronger output.
Inova has the longer run time.

It's a tough call.

wtraymond

Enlightened
Actually, the Inova XO is a 1 watt Lux. It's gets about 4 hours out of two CR123s and has good throw for a 1 watt, but the internal optic makes it fairly large. The T2 is the same as the XO but with a clickie instead of a twistie and different knurling on the body. The T-series are available only in black.

The X5 is smaller and lighter than the XO, puts out more flood (but much less throw), has more runtime, uses the same batteries, and costs about the same.

If you need flood, run time, and use CR123 batts, there are few better than the X5 for the size and price.

Buy an X5, a couple of 17650s, and a DSD charger and you'll never need to buy batteries again...

...then go buy an XO3 or T3 for great throw and use the same 17650 li-ion battery in that too!

THe X1 is good for a glove box light especially with a lithium primary cell. The lithium cell will never leak die of neglect.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this thread I feel like buying another one, and giving it away for something better. :)
I have 2 X5t's(white LED), and 1 X5(blue LED). One X5t I carry on my slingbag to back-up my T3. The other X5t is in my wife's car. It backs up her Brinkman Maxfire in the emergency pouch.
The X5(blue) will go in my house B.O.B.(along with a green Nightcutter light) once I get done playing with it. :)
I am trying to stock a really bright 123 light(T3, Maxfire), with a X5t to back it up.
Excuse my rambling. :) If it is the only light you will have, I say get something different. If it is going to be a back-up light, buy it.

Blades

slowTwitch

Newly Enlightened
Raven said:

Gerber weighs 8oz w/ cells; Inova weighs a little over 4oz.
(Gerber is here so I weighed it; my XO is not here, but the X5 weighs
3.7oz and the XO is a little heavier, so that's a guesstimate).

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
I am SICK!!!! I almost bought a light I don't really like to get my fix.

I went by Target and since I couldn't bring myself to spend $35 on the mediocre X5 I started to buy the X1. I don't even like that type of beam but I was going to buy it since it was so nicely made.

Then I almost bought another RR 2aaa light that was black. I already have a silver one.

What's wrong with me?

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
PrimiToad said:
I am SICK!!!! I almost bought a light I don't really like to get my fix.

What's wrong with me?

HA HA HA HA HA!!! Well, you've found the right place to share your affliction.

I will go against flashaholic conventional wisdom here, and recommend that you *not* purchase the X5.

Your list of lights includes several that will match the performance of the X5 for close-range illumination. Also, I see that you haven't yet acquired any CR123 lights, so you might not want to complicate your battery inventory.

What do you need the X5 for? OK, we're all flashaholics here... what do you *want* (not necessarily *need*) it for? Small size? Cool factor? Durability?

I think it would be possible to find a light that fills the X5's niche in your flashlight armamentarium that won't necessitate your having to cross the CR123 threshold...

PrimiToad

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned in another thread today, all LED lights at Target are 10%off excluding the X5.

The $29.95 on sale price of the X5 was all I needed to go over the cliff.

Nice light and very white.

Glad I bought it.

Kris

Newly Enlightened
Reasons to not buy an X5:

1. Flashlight looks too nice.

2. Flashlight is too rugged.

3. Flashlight is waterproof.

4. Flashlight flood beam is too nice.

5. On sale at Target this week (do we really want to pay sale price?).

Sorry, but this is how I try to talk myself out of getting a new flashlight.

lol

Pineapple Devil

Newly Enlightened
i just bought a black one w/ white bulb. apparently everyone is getting them while they are 29.99 b/c they only had about 4 left and they were all titanium bodies w/ blue bulbs

Last edited:

prof

Enlightened
Raven said:

They're both Lux 3, but that's about the only thing they have in common.

Gerber uses 3 aa batteries.
Inova uses 2 lithium 123 batteries.

Gerber has a tail cap that twist.
Inova has a tail cap switch.

Gerber is not regulated.
Inova is regulated.

Gerber has an off center hot spot.
Inova reportedly has a lense that rattles.

Gerber has a stronger output.
Inova has the longer run time.

It's a tough call.

I don't have the Inova, but do have the Gerber LX 3.

Basically I think it depends on your use and on what batteries you prefer. I like the Gerber because I carry it in my camera bag -- and am already carrying AA batteries for the flash.

The big downside to the LX3 is the lack of regulation (but no regulation does make it easy to check status of batteries before you go out). However it has not been a big deal to me.

The inability to use lithiums (I guess this is related to lack of regulation...) does not bother me since my flash cannot use them either. However it would be nice to load it with the lighter batteries...but I really value the ability to switch them back and forth if necessary.

As for the off center hotspot, I only notice it up close, on a white wall. Don't worry about it.

As I said, I carry it in a camera bag, or sometimes in a fanny pack when hiking, so the size is not an issue. I really don't notice the weight at all.

If the LX3 meets your needs, you won't be disappointed.

I have been happy with other Inova products but can't say much about the XO because I don't have one. Did you look at the T series also? I've been pleased with everything I've bought from Inova.

I think your decision may depend on battery preference and size preference. I made a similar decision--went with the Gerber based on battery type. Good luck, and let us know!

Steve Andrews

Enlightened
I carry the X5T in a belt pouch on my uniform belt. I have tried plenty of lights but keep coming back to the X5T.

I love its flood beam, excellent runtime and smooth lines.