Please sell me on buying a Surefire M6

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
With exception to the 100W variants.. every hotdriver based light i've made is 1) more efficient, 2) more reliable* and 3) more cost-effective than the M6.. a good mod is not remotely unreliable. My hotdriver lights light every time i turn them on, they work 'til the battery dies.. what else do you need? I take offense to the implication that a modded light is 'not reliable' this is false.

Andrew, it should have been obvious that I was not referencing YOUR mods sepcifically. It should have been obvious to you because one of the examples I gave was of my own mods experiencing a failure.

You haven't been putting incan mods out in the field for nearly long enough (nor have I) to be able to make this sort of statement. You don't know what the long term reliablity of your mods will be.

downunder

Newly Enlightened
I really don't understand all the above. I am afraid I am technologically challenged. I have an M6 and have paid for 2 of Andrew's packs. I am sure they will be great when finished and am looking forward to receiving them.

I actually had a purpose in buying the M6. However, not knowing a lot about flashlights, maybe I bought the wrong light - the experts can tell me - I won't be offended - in fact I would welcome any advice.

I actually retire today - my last day of formal paid work! Next week I move to a small acreage in the bush where I intend doing the old self sufficiency thing - ie. grow my own vegetables, fruit trees, have my own chooks etc and eventually a few goats. The only problem is that it is a relatively wild area. I have plenty of hares, rabbits, kangaroos that will do their best to enjoy my hopefully plentiful bounty (of course against my wishes). There are also wild dogs in the area that will enjoy a bit of fresh chicken or goat meat occasionally. The land also has quite a few deadly snakes (mainly browns). I wanted two lights to check disturbing noises in the night in the bush. One had to be a close/medium range floody headlamp that I could walk with. I chose the PT Corona (but am also looking at the more expensive Stenlight - if only it had a comfortable headband). This would be my leave on while walking in the bush at night light.

I also wanted a spotlight type flashlight to flash (pun intended) on and off when investigating things as I check the property and any disturbing noises. That's why I chose the M6. It will be used for relatively regular but short bursts for spotting purposes. I haven't got to my property yet but from the few test runs with the M6 it does appear to be the light suited to the requirement I needed. So that's my reason for buying the M6.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Downunder...

First...it was good to read a post such as yours in this thread. A breath of fresh air, so to speak. :)

Second...congratulations on your retirement! :thumbsup:

And third...as far as I`m concerned, you picked the perfect flashlight to to light up the distant horizon. The M6 was born to fill that role, and does so extremely well.

Enjoy your new life...and enjoy your M6. It will serve you well.

Best wishes to you!

:)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
downunder,

I would second everything Carpe Diem said.

And I would also point out that from my own experience with the M6, the MN20 for all practical purposes throws pretty much as far as the MN21. Until you get your HD-M6 packs, if it were me, I'd first check to see if the MN20 would suit my needs. It sounds as if it will.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
js said:
Andrew, it should have been obvious that I was not referencing YOUR mods sepcifically. It should have been obvious to you because one of the examples I gave was of my own mods experiencing a failure.

You haven't been putting incan mods out in the field for nearly long enough (nor have I) to be able to make this sort of statement. You don't know what the long term reliablity of your mods will be.
Also.. not enough data to say a 'con' as well.. my point is.. no way to say either way really.

downunder.. i think you will love the M6 for the purpose you picked.. one really nice thing for the M6 is that it doesn't have a lot of flood, so that with it's relatively lower output it really has an amazing contrast ratio of spot to flood so you can see pretty darn far even though the spot brightness is not all that high. the instant on with the tailcap button really is perfect for that flashing on/off.. and the testing with the HDM6 shows it's more robust than anticipated to deal with blinking.. you will not be unhappy with the solution at all! If you want some serious illumination to light up 'everything under the moon'.. you might want to approach a 100W solution to 'take over' that role because rather than a 'spot' that is illuminated.. absolutely EVERYTHING is illuminated!

I wish i could completely agree with the MN20 comment from JS.. I will say that it is more correct than false.. as one of my primary concepts i've learned with lighting is that the majority of the time we use more power than needed.. that said.. i actually prefer a 100W light for my 'walking around' light.. like walking to/from the car.. and why not? it lights up the path like daylight.. as long as i don't need 'night vision' it's just plain beyond awesome to have that kind of illumination.. it's like walking behind the headlight of a motorcycle!

-awr

OverLord1

Newly Enlightened
js said:
downunder,

I would second everything Carpe Diem said.

And I would also point out that from my own experience with the M6, the MN20 for all practical purposes throws pretty much as far as the MN21. Until you get your HD-M6 packs, if it were me, I'd first check to see if the MN20 would suit my needs. It sounds as if it will.

I got my M6 a couple of weeks ago and it came with the MN20 bulb installed. As I mentioned in another thread, the LOLA is plenty powerful for any application that I would ever need a flashlight for. In fact, I have no plans to use the MN21 in my M6. The LOLA has been unavailable for so long that I suspect many if not most M6 owners have never even seen it in operation. I bet that many M6 owners would choose the MN20 if they had a chance to compare the two bulbs for themselves. The MN21 is hard to justify at 3X the operational costs when the gains are not great imho. This is one reason I have decided not to get a rechargeable pack for the light. As js mentioned, one can buy a lot of primary cells for $120. I also do not use the light on a daily basis; my M6 is more of a toy for me and will never see serious duty. I am also not keen on experimenting with aftermarket parts on my $350 light. Now if Surefire came out with a rechargeable solution, that would be another story. Just my $.02.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's a great rational.. and as you came to the conclusion.. if you have enough light with the MN20.. more power to you.. it's a much better match to the cells and is a reasonable power consumption.. The difference is substantial in output and once you are 'used to' the likes of 2000-3000 lumen lights.. even the MN21 is not a lot of light anymore... stay ignorant of 100W lights and blissful! If you use the light 'sporadically'.. even i don't recommend using a rechargeable solution!

-awr

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I would like to have an M6, neither the prospect of spending $36 per hour (of diminishing output) for primaries, nor the idea of a hand-brewed rechargeable pack (relatively unproven, relatively complex, and subject to the uncertainties of basement alchemy) are very appealing to me. I wish I could swallow one or the other, but I can't. I always come back to my good old X10 which, for me, has a much tastier cost-benefit ratio. It comes in 2nd place to the M6 in size and shape, but in all other respects is the equal or superior light (again, to me) :).

If SF would just make a dang factory rechargeable M6, I'd be all over it.

peace

downunder

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for stealing the thread but it could be too late, you may have wrecked it for me now Andrew. Could I ask you to recommend a good model 100W light. I know nothing about these.

downunder

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to add that because I hope to use the M6 regularly, I bought a few spare bulbs for it. I managed to pick up 2 MN20's in the for sale of Candlepowerforums a few weeks ago (for $40 delivered to Australia) and 2 Mn21's from ebay for spares. I currently have a MN21 in the M6. I actually picked up my M6 for a reasonable price from the for sale part of Candlepowerforums. I'm finding CandlePower forums very useful.

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, has this been discussed over and over again in the past several years! My opinion and all others will be dismissed as you either love it, hate it or otherwise are indifferent.

A few years ago the M6 used to be described here on CPF as; "having the sun in your hand". It wouldn't just light up a room or your backyard, it would light up your street or your whole neighborhood with it's beam! When people pay $300.00+ for a light, they will respond with this type of rhetoric.

I love everything I read about the M6 because it is legendary and will always have a place in flashlight methology. It will always be the "sun in your hand" whether it is or isn't.

Let's cut to the chase and just say that the M6 is a pretty bright flashlight but it is NOT "the sun in your hand". Many hotwires have transended the M6 in lumen production but they are not built as well.

I finally went for an M6 a few years ago and I was disappointed with it's output whether it was from it's LOLA or HOLA. Many others were thrilled!

It just goes to show that brightness is perceived differently by us all. All these beam shots we see posted on CPF DO NOT mean that we will see them the same. I live in a forest with no ambient light at all and all lights I have seem BRIGHT! Funny that the M6 didn't impress me with it's brightness.

If you're looking for a really bright light in ambient conditoins, the M6 will impress but some Mag hotwires will impress much more.

Bottom line is, if you WANT a M6, go for it! There isn't a better built light. If you're going to use it though, you might want to reconsider because very few M6's are used because they are so expensive and always come up for sale after awhile because they're NEVER used in real life. If I'm wrong, PLEASE post a picture of your well worn M6!

As an aside, one of the masters that helped develop the M6 rechargeable pack uses a Surefire N2 lamp assembly in his M6 for runtime and beam quality!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
downunder.. i've made hotdrivers for people for 37 100W -class lights (some are 50W.. in many cases a better solution).. i only make the light-engine.. up to you to find a host. I will also very soon be selling battery packs.. that's the tricky part actually.. so.. you can find a 3D 3bore or 3D 4 bore host with a battery solution that is either 12AA CBP1650 (quad bore) or 11x4/5A elite2000 and then just order up some lamps and a hotdriver.. you will build yourself a light that outputs just about FIVE TIMES the light of the M6.. something that will even impress Gene up there.

The M6 is just a medium-low output lamp to me... my 2D mods output typically 50% more light and with a nicer beam.. so M6 as nice as the construction is and the KISS design is... (no switch to break even!).. just as Gene says.. is not the 'sun in your hands'.. though it is a very decent amount of light at 500-600L.

Now that i have the HDM6 operational i will get some comparison shots online so people can see the MN20 and the MN21 compared to the likes of the M275 or the M66 or the M85 and of course just for fun the 44Mag and the M625.

I have a design in the works (probably won't be out for at least a year) that is a variable output incan.. from 285 to 1100L.. an extreeeemly useful light because it will be 'best of both worlds'.. of a long-runtime (80 min) or 'max output' (20 min).. from the same host.. just twist the head to make it brighter! (similar interface to the BAM! of course!).

Like i've mentioned.. beware of the 100W light.. it's adictive.. my mag85s look like the batteries are dead 'cause they only output 800-900L.. so.. the M6 just looks pretty wimpy in comparison. My 'most favored' light right now has the 3500L+ lamp in it.. 2D light.. balls to the walls bright... about 6x the output of the M6.. and only 2" longer or so.

-awr

wmirag

Enlightened
JS:

Interesting post. I don't use rechargeables in flashlights because my experience with power-tool batteries has been that they die after a few years, even with little use (maybe especially with little use).

But I am on the buy list for the M6 rechargeable project. I like the M6 HOLA and it basically begins dimming as soon as you turn it on. The rechargeable pack promises to be regulated and run longer. A flat discharge curve is very appealing to me.

W.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a good amount of experience with 50-100W lights, including the various Osram lamps, and lamps like the Philips 402158, and also the IRC lamps from Osram. As can be seen from my sigline, I am the co-designer of the USL, and I built the USL proto-type from scratch.

And before that, a number of years ago, when I started on The TigerLight Upgrade Thread in an effort to make a higher powered solution available, I got into all the various Welch Allyn lamps that are typically used for "hotwire" mod solutions here on CPF, such as the 1111, the 1274, and the 1185.

In short, I have plenty of experience with higher powered incandescent solutions in the 20 to 100 watt range.

At first, the sheer amount of light, and the increasing amount of it with the successs of each more powerful mod I did, led me into what I call the "brightness disease". It got to the point where my SF E2e seemed so pathetically underpowered to me as to be worthless as an EDC. I used to feel that nothing under 100 lumens (out the front) was worth considering (for me, anyway).

Then, as part of my consulting work for TigerLight, I had to spend a lot of time with the focusing and potting of the TigerLight stock lamp module. The lamp is a xenon-halogen tungsten filament 7.2 volt 1.8 amp lamp, yielding about 275 lumens out the front from about 13 watts of power. Not much compared to a 35 watt overdriven 1185, and nothing compared to a 100 Watt 2200 lumen 62138.

But as I tried to nail down the exact best focal point for best performance in the field, and spent hours and hours out there with such a "low powered" light, I realized this very simple truism (which though commonplace is still true):

SOMETIMES LESS IS MORE

If you're someone who is going walkabout for more than 20 or 30 minutes, you can use the fact that your EYES WILL ADAPT TO THE DARK to help you out. If you blast a whole area with massive amounts of spill light and beam light, your pupils will contract --which, drum roll please . . ., will require even MORE light, and so on and so forth.

There are a number of viable solutions to this:

1. Overpower it. Do what andrewwynn does and carry around a 100 watt light with a runtime in the 12 to 20 minute range. Or find something like the X990 HID with a much longer runtime, in a non-cylindrical form factor. But however you do it, you basically are going for the SPOTLIGHT / SEARCHLIGHT approach. Turn night into day. Light up the entire freakin' field. It will ruin your night vision, but you have so much light it just doesn't matter. This is akin to the Native American saying "White man build big fire and sit way back".

2. Underpower it. This is my solution. I like to use my SF A2 to go walking in the woods. The LED's are putting out a mere handful of lumens. Nothing compared to a 100 watt lamp. But because my eyes are mostly or even completely dark adapted, this is plenty of light. This is akin to the "Build small fire and sit very close" compainion line to the earlier quote above. And if and when I need to reach out and touch something I can . . .

3. Strobe it. A short burst from a long throwing light IN COMBINATION WITH vision that is still more or less dark adapated is truly a winning combination. Even the mere 75 to 80 lumens from my A2 incan high beam are potent enough to reach hundreds of feet in concert with my more light sensitive eyes. OR, using a combination like a headlamp constant on and the SureFire M6 as the burst light would be an even more potent combination, albeit in a larger, two-light form factor.

All types and kinds of people can post to a forum like CPF. It's best to find out what kind of experience they have to find out where they are coming from. Does the person giving the advice ever go out walking in the "outback", in the woods and fields, in the pitch dark, in the country? Or does he use and test his lights standing on his back porch, or out on the street, or in the den inside or something. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS OUTDOOR USEAGE.

I go for an average of five walks a week, most of them at night, all of them longer than half an hour, all of them in the country, in the fields and woods. And in my experience, THE M6 IS MORE THAN POWERFUL ENOUGH TO SERVE AS A LONG RANGE FLASH-LIGHT.

And, in my opinion, anyone who thinks that the M6 beam is mostly hotspot and throw, with little or no spill, is someone whose vision and perspective have been skewed way far to the opposite extreme due to too much exposure to a super large 100 Watt 12 volt filament in a 2 or 3 inch reflector--a beam which is almost equal parts flood and throw.

The TigerLight Gen4 LA, which I spec'd, or a MagCharger, are beams which are indeed mostly throw and less flood (especially the MC). But the M6? LOL! That's outrageous. In my opinion, and going by my experience, the M6 beams, both LOLA and HOLA, have a nice amount of flood as well as good throw.

Earlier, people talked about the M6, and some said it was a toy or a novelty item. I said it was not. But however people think THAT may be, a 100 watt hot-rod hotwire basement modded light certainly IS a novelty item. After only 5 minutes of runing a light like that is heating up so fast that the head of the light will burn you (or your daughter or son). It's got a short runtime, that can only be replenished with an hour or two hour (or longer, depending on your equipment) charge. It's an exhibition light. It's a toy.

I have a 100 watt light. It sits on my book shelf and sees very little "real world" use. I have found it to be useful and practical in certain situations, but I would give it up IN A SECOND if it were a choice between that or my M6.

Don't be so quick to discount lower powered lights. Don't be so quick to be impressed with numbers or the bravado of any given posting. Or a negative post. When I was first on CPF, I was thinking of getting an A2 and posted a thread asking for opinions. A very respected CPFer came on and bad-mouthed the A2 beam, calling it one of the worst, most artifacty beam there was--or something like that. So I didn't get the A2, on the strength of that negative assessment. I certainly didn't want a terrible beam!

Later I found that while the A2 beam isn't as pleasing aesthetically as, say, the E2e beam or the N2, it was PLENTY GOOD ENOUGH for my tastes.

All postings and opinions--mine, andrewwynn's, whoevers--should be taken with a grain of salt and a large helping of common sense and consideration of your own personal situation.

I endorsed the HD-M6. I called it superior. I still do. If you think you will be best served by an HD-M6 and an M6 running the MN21, go for it. I only say this:

1. It's not ready yet and may not be for some time.
2. Primary 123's may suit your needs just as well or better.
3. Get a spare tailcap or spare internals so you can always go back to stock configuration.

The M6 is such a wonderful, beautiful and well designed light that it seems a shame to me to irreversibly mod it away from stock configuration.

As for "show me a picture of a beat-up M6" I would have been able to do that before SureFire warranteed my Millenium turbo head, but I can't really do that now. I have a scratch in the body and a ding in the tailcap, but it's not much. Fact is that the HA coating does a good job of holding up to knocks and scrapes without scratching.

However, I know for a fact that Lightraven's M6 would be an ideal candidate for such a picture.

Bottom-line: plenty of people USE their M6's on a daily or weekly basis. THESE are the people who probably, just MAYBE, have the best, most accurate assessment of the light and its merits.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I love my M6's! I only have and use MN21 lamps. My primary M6 uses a clone of the JS rechargeable pack. I generally only use my M6 when I want a lot of light, so for me it makes sense to use the MN21(If I need less light I'll use my U2) Having it regulated and rechargeable is also a reason to run the brightest lamp, for me anyway.

So I recommend the M6, I recommend it even more if you can find a nicely working rechargeable solution for it!

Last edited:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
So am I. I have decided for the time being that what I need is long term reliability with primaries. My M6 will see some serious use but not continuous use, mainly short bursts. I think my U2 will satisfy my continuous use needs, and if I ever do go in a true search expedition then I´ll use my soon to be Microfire K2000R. I agree with js that it is the real purpose of the light. And I might even go to use the LOLA. Heck every light has its use. The rechargeable pack when it is available will cost more than what it is already and I prefer that money going to a K2000R.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED61 said:
Well guys, all I can say is: damn you all!!!! you sold me on the M6. I just bought one from Mike at opticshq. A beautiful M6-CB:nana: Good price from opticshq as always and great customer care.

Actually thank you very much to all that posted, it was really helpful and just what I needed to jump in. Did you all know that Surefire is not shipping these with the MN 20 lamp anymore because of lamp scarcity? But mine has one in the package...opticshq made sure of it. Thank God. There are no lamps available so if you can get a hold of some stock up now. Surefire is not even offering an estimated date of availability for the MN 20. I wonder how this will compare to the Microfire k2000R I have on order with them?
Your hooked!:rock:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice post JS.. i actually am far more in agreement with you than you seem to think.. My main philosophy with lighting is 'less is more'.. my personal observations have collected data to support this statement:

90% of the time a flashlight user has MORE light than they need.

MY own PERSONAL use of 100W lights is for walking from a well lit house to a car typically as a passenger.. a 'job' that has no need whatsoever in maintaining night-vision capability so it's just plain awesome to have 'daylight' on my walk to the car...

In another wonderful use of 'more than needed'.. we went on a walk through the woods at camp over laborday... and we had three or four lights in the >2000L class.. and another two that were 600 and 900... It was quite a fun experience walking through a wide path in the woods in the dead of night and seeing just as if it were during the day.. not necessarily what you'd do every time, but it was a lot of fun.

The 'right amount' for the job is my philosophy absolutely.. why do ya think that MOST of my designs are variable output!? it's to use the right amt (less is more) for the job.

My perspective of the M6 being 'spot' vs 'flood' is just based on what it is... taking my M66 vs the M6.. the M66 has a superior beam absolutely.

Go look at the M66 thread here: http://M66.rouse.com and scroll down to the head-to-head beamshots.

I'm not saying necessarily which is even better.. I was actually pointing out above that sometimes it's BETTER that there is not much flood in the M6 beam.. it allows you to get by with less power because of the contrast.. I personally far prefer to have enough flood and a smoother transition.. that when i'm pointing the light down the path... the path directly in front of me is also well lit, not to mention the peripheral vision is well lit.. so that i don't have that feeling like i'm looking down a dark tunnel with light at the end.

If i had to pick between the 44mag and an M6..

puuulllezeee..

M6... 600 to 400L over 20 min with stock bat...
44Mag.. 1100L for 27 minutes with the low-output lamp.. but up to 3500L for 11 minutes with the badass '65W' lamp in it.

I love the lower-output solutions and i recommend anybody considering for their 'only' high-output lamp they should get a 64610 50W lamp over the 62138 or 64625 lamp any day of the week.. far more practical!

the M6 is a charming light.. it's tough as nails and with the stock solution i can't knock the MN20 lamp.. my misgivings are only about the mis-match of the MB20 with primary cells and the MN21 which is clearly 'too much' for it to take in my professional opinion.

-awr