Please! Tell Me How To Quit!!!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Help? Do you know the new SF Cree lights are coming out end of July? You *need* at least one of those.
:devil:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just the problem. I have a big house and a wife already. I am a retired Naval Photographer and I have a little computer business. I have 2 people working for me, so it doesn't take up much of my time. I have a lot of time on my hands to play with and collect things. My wife is a senior Electronics Engineer for Texas Instruments. I pretty much have been the full time parent to my 4 year old boy who is already as much of a Geek and gadget hound as I am. I also collect high powered hand held lasers which isn't a cheap hobby either. What am I going to do?

Unless you are wealthy and money is not an issue, the answer is simple. Get married and buy a house.

By doing so you will no longer have very much spare money to spend, your time will be occupied on home repairs and outdoor yard work thus you will not have time to come here and be tempted, and your wife will monitor the few dollars you still have left and all arriving packages. By monitoring the packages she will keep your secret purchases in check. If none of this works, she will file for divorce, take every piece of property you ever acquired (including your lights) and the balance of your cash as well.

Problem solved. :grin2:

Disclaimer:
Ladies...this is ALL IN FUN and NOT to be taken seriously!

GreySave

Enlightened
In that case, either the first ten or so words of my post apply or you are simply doomed like the rest of us. :)

Look at it this way, you could have a vice far worse than this!

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
Help? Do you know the new SF Cree lights are coming out end of July? You *need* at least one of those.
:devil:
What are you? Some kind of fool. You don't belong in these forums. You should know that the proper reponse is "You *need* at least TWO of those.".:laughing: As they said in Cool Hand Luke "you need to get your mind right".

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wanna quit, or at least slow down? That's easy. Two solutions come to mind...
1) Show your wife/SO all those lights and relay how long it took you to get them, OR
2) absent a controlling party, get interested in knives. Good ones...

:wave:
EM

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think practically.
Do you use all the lights you buy regularly? Or do most stay in the drawer collecting dust, while you only use 2 or 3 regularly?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to stop for awhile. I figure I've got my flashlight needs pretty well covered at the moment and I'm going to try and hold off until there's a big change. I EDC a Fenix P2D Q2 right now, so when and if they come along with something that's say twice the power or more and uses similar power I'd go for that. Oops, gotta go open up a package of aspherical lenses that just showed up. I may need help too. :)

ensile

Enlightened
reminds me of the bob saget cameo in halfbaked.

p.s; let me know when you work it out, i feel myself slowing down, i pretty much only want a HDS, i doubt an original will get to me, so a mass produced nova might have to do..

milky l1 would be pretty sweet, and dream light would be a gizmo pd, or mule, in ti of course. other than that. it would have to be twice as bright as a cree to get me to buy anything else... or multi cree... ooooh yeaaah.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I only have old Lux 1 and 3 lights and havent even started collecting any Cree or Soeul lights yet so you can imagine where I'm going :shakehead

BT132435

Newly Enlightened
Just sell the lights you don't need, and keep the ones that you do. After that don't think about flashlights... go out for a walk.. do some physical activities.. do stuff with friends.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Clamp down on your minds wonderings. Set guidlines and rules on what lights you need. Get into emergency preparedness lights. Searching for the ideal light for various hypothetical situations will gobble up a lot of time :)
It will make you realize how few lights will be useful... in any real crisis... like when you can't keep ordering your lithium primaries online for $1 each...

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just sell the lights you don't need, and keep the ones that you do. After that don't think about flashlights... go out for a walk.. do some physical activities.. do stuff with friends.

Don't think about lights and go out for a walk???? That is one of the very things that makes me think about lights. And I do stuff with friends...Talk about and show off our lights to each other. Lights are so practical and integrated in to every day life that there are not too many activities that cannot be enhanced by the use of lights. :naughty:

moses

Enlightened
I take it the original post was done in humor and good fun. That said, I've found John Eldredge's 'Journey of Desire' to offer superb insight into living life with a passion. His book unpacked my desires brilliantly.

Mo

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take it the original post was done in humor and good fun. That said, I've found John Eldredge's 'Journey of Desire' to offer superb insight into living life with a passion. His book unpacked my desires brilliantly.

Mo

You are quite right Mo. LED lights are one of my hobbies that I enjoy thoroughly. The problem is that as with my other hobbies that I enjoy thoroughly, I have to keep reminding myself that too much of anything....even if it is a good thing, is not necessarily good for your health or your wallet. Oh yeah...and your relationship with the wife either. :laughing: I am having fun here, and enjoying the wealth of knowledge that CPF has to offer and expect to be doing so for some time to come.

I just want to thank every one for the great responses and for making a fellow Flashaholic feel welcome and comfortable in such a great community.:twothumbs

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The best way to slow down is to buy that one light you always wanted, and then you won't think much about the other lights.

Oh and stay away from the modding forum.

Welcome to the Dark side (I know I left a light here somewhere)

Last edited:

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
You could try "the patch". I taped a picture of an L1P to my lower back for a couple of weeks. This did not help. Then I tried "the gum" but the phosphor coating was making my teeth really yellow. It seems that replacement therapy just doesn't work. I am now working with a support group. In the last class the lights went out (big storm) and every single person pulled out a flashlight. It was brighter than when the regular lights were on!
I think once you start, you are hooked for life...