• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Pocket Clips for Aleph "T" caps

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Pocket Clips for Aleph \"T\" caps

Hi guys,

I am still trying to further the Aleph offerings beyond the lights themselves and have made some progress on some Ti clip ideas. These are still down the road but I found a relatively cheap and viable solution available at your hardware store now for the Aleph "T" or trim caps. It is a solution provided by our friends in Ontario! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

I like how the only name on the light, is theirs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

A2-1x123-Mag.jpg

The clip above has a wrap around band that is a perfect width and thickness to join with the T cap and the clip can not slide up the cap. On the 2x123 tube, the clip will also go on the tube itself if you like. What I am working on is what I consider to be a considerably more robust clip that will serve as a belt clip as well as pocket clip:

A1-1x123-T.jpg

A2-1x123-T.jpg

on-2x123.jpg

The Titanium prototype clip here has a great elasticity and will bend well with good return. This is all in preliminary stages and moving slower than I would hope due to time available for me to pursue this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I am making some progress though, so stay tuned. In the mean time, the clip from our friends coupled with the lanyard hole in the "T" cap does offer some viable solutions for you guys! This is of course not limited to the Aleph and perhaps a KL1 on Aleph 1x123 and T cap would suit your needs?!? I am working on some ideas that are obvious extensions of what is shown above and it may be that I am showing "my hand" prematurely here but in the interest of open sharing of ideas and the fact that there is a "current" solution, I would feel bad about keeping this info to myself at present. I wouldn't mind it if those of you who can see some ideas beyond what is shown don't keep it to yourselves at present! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, The Ti clip fits on the tube of another light I checked, real well! I had one proto that has been bent up a bit and tried on a few hosts. The #4x40 fasteners don't encroach on the battery chamber at all and the clip provides a quick orientation for finding the switch:

Ti-LH.jpg

OK now, back to some light engines for now but I'll keep you posted on any developments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pocket Clips for Aleph \"T\" caps

The Ti clip looks really nice.

mut

Kiessling

Flashaholic

The first solution has a certain style ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

On a more serious note ... in my humble mind I can see some problems using a clip that is attached to a tailcap that activates through rotation --> unwanted activation?
That's why the solution with the clip on the 2x123 tube looks appealing to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I have a clip mounted on the Cap provided by another CPFer on a 2x123 Aleph right now, but as I rarely use it clipped (put it on for the serious look of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) I haven't had any problems. Well, don't use it and it won't fail you style of operation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bernie

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Bernhard,

I have been using the method of carry of the tab mounted to the tail cap for over a year now with no accidental discharge but perhaps using a clip that "fixes" the cap whil the body is free to rotate is a different set of dynamics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I only use a clip on occasion like if I am wearing shorts with no belt. I'm a "tab" guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened

Love the TI clip, I have two of the "normal" tail caps so would be looking for a clip that attaches to it. The clip looks great on the LH, the weakest point of the LH was the lack of a lanyard attachment, looks like Don may have fixed that. I am "almost" glad that I did not see this whilst the LH was still available...... if I had there would have been another flashlight heading my way.

Keep up the great work Don, you seem to have many great ideas!!!!!

chrisse242

Enlightened

That Ti clip certainly is the best looking flashlight pocket clip I've ever seen. What would you come up with if you had ALL your time available just for thinking about new lights and accesoires? Just the thought scares me.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Chrisse (now away, buying lottery tickets, need money for Aleph lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Barefootone

Enlightened

Hey Don,
ME LIKES, GREAT LOOKING TI CLIP! Nice styling <font color="blue"> </font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif I hope it comes to fruition. I want to buy, for my Aleph's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .
Keep-em bright in the night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif,
Jeff

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

Excellent design! Not only a clip, but a clip with multiple attachment points! Very well thought out!

Aloha
Brian

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Thanks guys.

Trev1960,

I haven't illustrated all of the possabilities with this clip but I am hoping it will have a more generic and broad base of appllications. However it will work on the standard McE2S as the photo below of a early proto that I made from a McLux clip blank shows. I wanted to take the McLux blank and give it a lanyaed bail as well as reduce some of its mass.

front-side-proto.jpg

Hanging-proto.jpg

I am still working with the shop who will make these for me in regards to the bends and in particular the lanyard bail opening. I am hoping that the production clip will have a bail open enough to accept the micro clip as shown above. In any case, these clips witll require fine tuning and some bending specific to their host application. Fortunately, I am finding that drilling and tapping the #4x40 holes required is not that dificult and I have been successful with using a hand drill as well as hand tap.

EDIT: Thanks Brian! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif After the McLux clips, I decided I wouldn't mess with a clip unless it's Ti due to the superior modulus of elasticity of the Ti and its imperviousness to the elements. I just don't like spring steel that rusts or stainless steel in a clip that has no "spring" to it.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Don, can't this clip be designed in such a way that another set of holes in the tailcap are not needed. How about using one of the existing holes? While I like the clip, it really makes the tailcap into a piece of swisscheese, with a yet a nother one or two holes.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love those beefy clips! Bezel down is great. That is what I call a clip. Don, your design ideas are definately going in the right direction IMHO.

My only concern would be will I have to send all of my Trim McE2s tailcaps bacd to you to utilize the clip?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Ray,
I may or may not be on it. You need two holes to avoid rotation of the clip, or some type of indexing or reference off the existing geometry. There is no economy to work with in a specific clip for a specific tail cap. None of these are being made in numbers to support such a plan. Mounting to the guard is not a problem and the guard is functionally required really only as a guard or point of attachment. The invasion of two additional #4x40 tapped holes does not compromise the guard what so ever! Heck, 50% of the material or more could be completely removed in scallops for access as in the VIP or E2D cap! There are other alternatives that can to an extent work for some of the applications and as Darell has stated, I am looking into them. At this piont, this is all vapor ware so the vapor can assume yet to be seen forms! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Well there is one clip up there that can be had for a fraction of what the Ti will likely go for! And not only do you get the clip, you get a rubber head boot and a couple colored lenses to boot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Colored Lenses? Wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
And say Don, why are you going the rough way of developping the ultimate Ti-Clip when the perfect solution comes even with additonal gimmicks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif
bernie

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don,

Totally agree with you on the advantages of using Ti. Now all you need are some hardened 440C screws (or Ti screws) and you have a ultra-low maintenance, seaworthy design!

Aloha
Brian

GutWrench

Enlightened

I like it Don. I was going to order a tail cap but I think Im gonna wait till the clip issue is in final form. Keep up the good work bud. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Barefootone

Enlightened

<font color="blue"> </font> Hey Don,
I just wanted to add IMHO that Ti is the best choice for the clip. The tensile strength and resiliency in Ti are far superior to those of spring steel or SS steel.
I want to also cast my vote although I don't have one as to the first set of clip pics, I really like the long tapering arrow slot in it, very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif.
So I hope the clip will come to fruition because I'd like them on my Aleph's.
Don very nice work.
Keep-em bright in the night
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif,
Jeff

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Brian,
The screws used are stainless steel so I think they will provide reasonable service although there will be need for cleaning off rust bloom on occasion if subjected to the marine environment.
Jeff,
The only reason I even showed this latest pic of the modified McLux clip was to illustrate it's adaptability to the standard Aleph tail cap. This clip was a proof of concept I did myself to confirm the viability of the lanyard bail prior to going forward with the slotted clip development.

Barefootone

Enlightened

<font color="blue"> </font> Hey Don,
Thanks for clearing this up, "This clip was a proof of concept I did myself to confirm the viability of the lanyard bail prior to going forward with the slotted clip development." I guess I didn't realize what you were just illustrating the development of the clip
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif and sometimes I need /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif. In any case I really like the design, very cool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif.
Thanks for the clarification sometimes us older guys need more time to let the light in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif.
Keep-em bright in the night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif,
Jeff

Trev1960

Newly Enlightened

How is the pocket clip progressing, I like the look of it and would be after 5 of them. Two for the LionHeart and 3 for Aleph's.