Police Study of tactical use of Strobe

Meatco1

Newly Enlightened

So, it appears there is no real consensus on the use of strobes.

As a young deputy on the L.A.S.O. in the late 60s, I thought the original Kel-light was darn impressive
(not to mention, a good thumper). Strobe? What the heck was strobe in those days? We got along just fine with that old baton flashlight!!

Respects,

Richard

Rayzorbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hello Grizzlyb,
Very interesting indeed, thank you. Can you perhaps elaborate on the power output specs of the TL you have used, and the type of illuminator (source) which you found was most common for those applications?

HikingMoose

Newly Enlightened
I've been following this thread for a bit now. Great thread. Great to see all of the different thoughts users might have. I haven't read every post, but I've read 8-10 pages of it. Where is the link to the flashlight you are evloving? I've seen a few posts about people buying it, but I either missed it, or it's in the pages that I didn't read yet. Thanks in advance!

Some things I'm thinking about. To the members saying self defense flashlights are a joke, and useless - yes, it's kind of like bringing a flashlight to a gun fight. BUT, I'd rather have a bright flashlight to shine in a gun wielding criminals eyes, then just standing there in plain view. I'm not trained in hand to hand combat, admittedly, but I am 6'4" tall and weigh about 245lbs. Not many people will see me as an easy victim. But if one does, I'd rather have (as dumb as it might sound) a way to temporarily blind/stun them, and if they continue their advance [and I'm unable to retreat], something to strengthen my fist the same way brass knuckles would. Also a strike bezel could do some damage and open up their scalp, causing blood in their eyes. This will often end boxing and MMA matches, why not a street attack?

So, I do feel a light can at least help if you do not want to/not allowed to carry a firearm. I'm still up in the air about strobe. I think I prefer a bright, solid light. For me, I need/want two things. The ability to turn on the light from off, right to turbo/high! And the ability to go from low/moon mode, directly to turbo in the case of using it for low light navigation - then stumbling onto a perp. That is what I'm currently looking for.

Again, great read. Great to hear everyone's opinions.

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
Are there some models that are specifically recommended for outdoor self defense? I am thinking high lumens but also substantial weight while not being too large to carry on daily walks. thanks. (PS: One carried by small woman)

Graystone

Newly Enlightened
Lots of good info here, but probably not too useful to a senior citizen. Thanks, anyway.

bennett4624

Newly Enlightened
Reminds me of Robins Revenge.. The strobe is great against the assailant.. All flashlights should have it and an SOS pattern too.. with different color lenses

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Lots of good info here, but probably not too useful to a senior citizen. Thanks, anyway.

Excuse me. LOL. I'm there, and like and use my lights daily. Useful tools they are. Welcome to CPF; do some reading here, and you be amazed at what is going on in the world of light(s).

Bill

CaptainRogersUK

Newly Enlightened
Indeed a very nice thread though cant find the Eden tdl20available any where no longer-possibly due to an over subscribed thread.. lol...

Any update on the next version of the EDl20 or was it just a flash in the pan light ?

newdenny

Newly Enlightened
Hi Grizzlyb,

Happy New Year!

Any tentative date for the release of the new tactical flash light this year?

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's always safeseeker. ..
biggrin.gif

_

Last edited:

SeamusORiley

Enlightened
Other than self-struggle, is there a consensus on minimum lumens for:

a. human
b. wildlife, including dogs
?

Endorphin

Newly Enlightened
I was wonder about the amount of lumens myself.

Just read through this whole thing, and that stuck out to me as well... bright strobe vs super bright constant (say, 400 vs 2000 lumen) was brought up, but not responded to? Really curious if that was ever compared.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
Indeed a very nice thread though cant find the Eden tdl20available any where no longer-possibly due to an over subscribed thread.. lol...

Any update on the next version of the EDl20 or was it just a flash in the pan light ?

Took some time but finally there will be. Not at the moment, but in a vew months.
This is an update in the dedicated Tactical Defence Lights series. TDL25.

Last edited:

grinsefalle

Enlightened
Took some time but finally there will be. Not at the moment, but in a vew months.
This is an update in the dedicated Tactical Defence Lights series. TDL25.

sorry, better video will be uploaded shortly

Hi Koen,
glad to see you back in this thread with some good news. Just a few days ago, I noticed, that the TDL20 is not available any more. An upgraded successor is a good reason for this.
My own TDL20 is still working fine, but of course I am curious about the new light.
I will keep an eye on this thread!

stay safe
Michael

snowman3

Newly Enlightened
with regard to "why is strobe included", does anyone know if it was once required for an LEO or military bid?
I'm wondering if it was a required feature at one point and then became defacto.