Poll: How many modders are in our ranks?

Modding: Is it for you?

• Yes definitely! Wouldn't have it any other way!

Votes: 32 39.5%
  • Just some simple stuff but not too technical.

Votes: 40 49.4%
  • I've thought about it but haven't jumped yet.

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I'd rather pay someone else or stick with stock.

Votes: 5 6.2%

• Total voters

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started off in this hobby like most of my hobbies. Rather innocent enough, I bought a small light to keep at my bedside. The next thing I new I was looking at the expensive Surefire lights. As most things go I figured I could modify something less expensive and end up with more for my money. Hence the journey down the road to CPF.

I have since modified several M@gs and am moving on to smaller single cell lights now. Does it ever end? :naughty:

Anyway I am curious what the percentage of us are into modding lights and what percentage aren't. Hence this poll. I figured I'd post the question here because if I posted it in the Homemade and Modified section I'd only get those that obviously modify their lights therfore giving a skewed result.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm somewhere in between the two top categories. I don't have the electronics (or equipment) to do *real* builds/mods, but I can assembly little boards and do LED replacements. I like little things, though.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like doing mods, have built mostly Mag mods with regulators, direct drive (for friends) or some light machining. If I had a lathe and a proper workshop, things would get out of hand quickly :)

Timson

Enlightened
I'm definately a 'tinkerer'.......Always dismantling, replacing things...upgrading parts.
Favourite mods are Mags....

Done a few Lux Mods, DD and Reg'd and Hotwire Mags ( Mag 85 / Mag 74 / Mag 60)

Have an old lathe and have made some basic flashlight upgrade parts - with pleasing results. Unfortunately its not upto fine thread cutting and is a bit past its best....Otherwise I'd definately be into knocking up flashlights from scratch.

One day !

Tim.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've done a lot of mag mods, and a little of everything else. Done aleph LE's, KL1 head, ArcAAA led replace, A2 mods, Dorcy1AA mod to luxeon, Red luxI DD MM aluminum isolated pill, and others I'm probably forgetting.

Delvance

Enlightened
I've only done hotwire mods really (beyond M@g) but i guess that more comes down to tinkering. Building my RS623 was fun though, first time with the KIU socket and soldered the batteries to make into a pack. If i weren't studying full time but had a 9-5 job...i'd probably have a full workshop and spend most of my free time in there...

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't leave lights alone without tricking them a little. With a couple of friends we help each other make and refine lights. The lights aren't too bad so, yeah, I mod lights.

Last edited:

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I am a dummy in a real aspect of modding, but constantly looking out for the modding opportunity and fun. Some of the lights I have modded including various sized Mags, SF, Aleph, PrincetonTec, LRI, ARC, Peak, streamlight, pelican, and bunch of brandless flashlight that had scarificed themselves in the name of science. But, no lights were tortued and/or mistreated during the process of modding... :devil:

roguesw

Enlightened
i am like a few here, i can build the light engines and mcluxes these are pretty simple follow the recipe, but i dont have equipment to build lights from scratch
i would like to learn more about modding but lack of equipment is not helping
like my sigs says, will offer my build services for free.
the first light i built was a mclux 2x123 cell about 4 years ago, and now resides with my friend, the little light still shines, man, i love don's work

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here. I'll swap out parts, build Aleph light engines and Longbow McCapsules, stuff like that. I don't have the expertise or equipment to actually build anything from scratch, but being able to mod a light with my choice of circuit board, LED, etc. to match my own personal uses and preferences, or just to have something cool, is what makes this hobby fun.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
I voted- just some simple stuff but not too technical- but I guess it's hard to know what you mean by technical... (I was thinking, designing driver boards/regulators qualifies as the most heavy duty option, where the rest of us who buy those and install them into lights would be considered the less techical)....

perhaps looking at the second link in my sig would suggest I am an all out modder...

Latest posts