Poll: Should Gene Malkoff continue the M60W/M30W series modules?

Should Malkoff continue making Warm M60/M30 modules?

• Yes

Votes: 77 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 24.5%

• Total voters

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Personally I would have loved to see all the M60/30 variants continued along side the M61/31. There are things one can do that the other can not... and vise versa. The Malkoff M60W is a 5A or a 5B tint... my favorite Cree color BINs.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the throw of my M60W over that of my M61W so I voted yes.I'm not sure that I would care with regard to the low M60Ws so much,I just wish the M61Ws were as warm as the M60Ws.I am hoping Gene will offer the M61 with a warmer LED,maybe a warm XPG in addition to the cool and neutral XPG.Could call it an M61WW................ :grin2:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:clap:

Personally I would have loved to see all the M60/30 variants continued along side the M61/31. There are things one can do that the other can not... and vise versa. The Malkoff M60W is a 5A or a 5B tint... my favorite Cree color BINs.

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened

X-actly. I don't see the M61/31 as a direct replacement for the M60/30. Great module to be sure, but not walking the same path. Two different beasties entirely. I've not been overwhelmed at all by the XP-G craze to be honest. My XR-E lights all still satisfy, and indeed, with the M60/30, I find them getting the nod in direct comparisons. And I never did get the M60W's or M30W's I think I want. If they are 5A or 5B, yummy!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] I just wish the M61Ws were as warm as the M60Ws.I am hoping Gene will offer the M61 with a warmer LED,maybe a warm XPG in addition to the cool and neutral XPG.Could call it an M61WW................ :grin2:
Yep, IMO this M61 terminology wasn't the best way to do it. Since we had M60's and M60W's, these should have been M61C's and M61's/M61N's or something. It would confuse many many people for quite a while for M61WW's to be comparable to M60W's - it has already confused some that M61W's are comparable in tint to M60's. I wonder what a true 'warm' version of the M61 will be called? :thinking:

Last edited:

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whilst I love the old M60/M30 series, a new module with optic that suits the XP-G R5 would be natural progression. Whilst some people say that the M60 is a thrower and the M61 is more floody, the M60 isn't what you would call a dedicated thrower - too much light is going into the spill for that to be the case.

James....

Axion

Enlightened
I vote yes. As nice as the M61 beam is, and it is about as nice as reflectored lights get, there is still something special about optics. My M60LW is still about the best all around outdoor light I have. Great run time, plus a WIDE spill plus more than adequate throw is a real winner for outdoor use.

Also, Gene, please keep pushing for warmer XP-G emitters. I have a M1WL and its a nice beam but just a bit too cool for my liking. Something is the 5A range would be perfect. IMO the 7A range emitters offered by 47s is just a touch to warm and the 4A ish emitters in their neutral range is slightly too cool (and that is still warmer than what is in the M61WL)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A SST 50/90 M61 would be the natural progression to the MCE. I asked Gene a while back about it when the M61's were first trickling out and he said no.

jellydonut

Enlightened
I do wonder why not? I suppose Gene is partial to Cree going by the history, but I wonder if there's something they have the Luminus diodes don't.

I email Gene enough already, I feel like the flashlight equivalent of those annoying Twilight fangirls. If he has the time and sees this I hope he replies, otherwise I'm gonna leave the poor guy alone to make products and help people who actually need help instead.:crazy:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would you think of a Malkoff drop-in LED for the E2L-AA?
(I,for one wouldn't mind,as I prefer AA batteries.)

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
He already has that. Use a VME head on the body of the E2L AA and the M31 dropin module.

What would you think of a Malkoff drop-in LED for the E2L-AA?
(I,for one wouldn't mind,as I prefer AA batteries.)

Back on topic to the discussion of reintroducing warm M60/30's...

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
He already has that. Use a VME head on the body of the E2L AA and the M31 dropin module.

Possible but cost is an issue. When all said and done, this will turn into an expensive light, not sure it's cost-effective. Easier to assemble one from other components.

surefire 150
VME head 30
M31 module 69
total: 250+

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possible but cost is an issue. When all said and done, this will turn into an expensive light, not sure it's cost-effective. Easier to assemble one from other components.

surefire 150
VME head 30
M31 module 69
total: 250+

True but you can always sell the E2LAA head and recoup a few bucks and scour the Marketplace for deals on the rest of the parts.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the results so far, it looks like 77% of the members that responded to the poll are in favor. I dont know if this will sway Gene or not, but Im sure he could sell a boat load of M60/30W variants if he would just make them. The market for these is definitely still here.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I voted no. I think we should move on, Gene too. Maybe he will come out with something just as good as the M60W's/M30's for throw in the 1.25 head diameter, an who is to say that he is through with optics? Gene will make the right decisions, for us and him.

Bill