Poll: Should Gene Malkoff continue the M60W/M30W series modules?

Should Malkoff continue making Warm M60/M30 modules?

• Yes

Votes: 77 75.5%
  • No

Votes: 25 24.5%

• Total voters

Kestrel

Flashaholic
From the results so far, it looks like 77% of the members that responded to the poll are in favor. I dont know if this will sway Gene or not, but Im sure he could sell a boat load of M60/30W variants if he would just make them. The market for these is definitely still here.

Another way to look at the poll results is that there appears to be ~61 potential customers for the M60W/M30W configurations. Contrast this with the currently very high demand for the M61/M61W/M31/M31W, which at the moment, cannot be produced in anything like enough numbers to keep them in stock. In addition, the demand for true 'warm' modules of these types (the XP-G M-series) hasn't yet been felt. Furthermore, there is probably way more demand for Gene's overall XP-G module line outside of CPF, whereas I have doubts as to whether there is much of a market outside of CPF for the older warm modules.

I voted no. I think we should move on, Gene too.
+1.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your are right in that the demand is much higher for M61/31 variants. I just hate to see the older style left behind with no more made when there is still a pretty good demand for them around here. I see requests all the time on the market place for members wanting these drop ins. If Gene would make these up on request, it make alot of us very happy. He would not have to keep alot of stock that way, just make them as the orders come in a reasonable amount of time. Since Elzetta is still manufacturing under license the old standard M60, why could they not have the other variants produced? Time for a email.

Another way to look at the poll results is that there appears to be ~61 potential customers for the M60W/M30W configurations. Contrast this with the currently very high demand for the M61/M61W/M31/M31W, which at the moment, cannot be produced in anthing like enough numbers to keep them in stock. In addition, the demand for true 'warm' modules of these types (the XP-G M-series) hasn't yet been felt. Furthermore, there is probably way more demand for Gene's overall XP-G module line outside of CPF, whereas I have doubts as to whether there is much of a market outside of CPF for the older warm modules.QUOTE]

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I am pretty new both to CPF and to Malkoff products. My interest is mostly in the context of my profession (law enforcement). That may perhaps allow me to offer a little different perspective to this dialog. I came across the Malkoff name in another forum which focuses mostly on military and law enforcement weapons and associated technologies. In searching for additional information on Malkoff, I rediscovered CPF.

I would be very interested in continuance of the M60 series (including the warm variety). I have an M61 I've been using at work (several warrant service details, building entries at this point) and an M61W on the way (hoping for better color rendering vis-à-vis the M61). My primary intended use is weapon lights on rifles and shotguns. From what I understand, the M60 series produced more throw than the M61. P60 sized drop-ins are an attractive option since SF P-series lights as well as quality mounts and accessories are ubiquitous throughout my profession and they're in the supply chain. At this point, I'm the only one I'm aware of in my circle (agency/taskforce, etc.) using a Malkoff drop-in, but after "amazing my friends" with the performance and quality of that M61 in an old 6P, I imagine that won't last long. From discussions within my agency on my M61, I believe that an M60 designed to produce better throw would be a hot ticket item – like I'd buy a handful. However, it appears that Gene Malkoff already has about all the demand he can service – getting to the point of being able to place an order for the M61 and an M61W took considerable time and patience. :tired: I am waiting to be able to place an order for an M61LL to go in one of my EDC lights (to replace a P60L).

I am very much considering a Hound Dog, but would rather have drop-ins or C-compatible heads that offer enhanced throw/reach and fit our existing fleet of C, G and P-series lights. I shared these thoughts with Gene in an e-mail (also thanking him for the quality of product and service) - his response was a link to (the seemingly never available) HD.

Since I generally missed out on the M60 stuff, I am for continuing M60 production (as I'd like to acquire a few) for whatever that's worth. :hitit:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Gene, if you read this

Please keep making your M30/60s' {both tint versions}
in ten years they will keep selling,..they are timeless!!

There are many people who prefer optics...:D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Since I generally missed out on the M60 stuff, I am for continuing M60 production (as I'd like to acquire a few) for whatever that's worth. :hitit:
The standard, Production, version of the M60 can still be purchased through Elzetta.

I count myself fortunate to have gotten both a handmade M60, as well as as an M60W MC-E Warm drop-in.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a reply back from Elzetta today on the possibility of producing warm drop ins. They said no on alternative tints, and they may offer Malkoff's standard M60F in the near future.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Realize that M61 does not replace M60. They are just completely different lites. M61 for close-up
work but it has no hot spot at all. I compared M61 with M60LL and even M60LL had a brighter (and much smaller) hot spot than M61. Granted, the total lumen output was of course much higher than M61 than any M60**. But, its lack of focus makes it appear to be less bright. I think it's good for household tasks where throw is not important. For example looking at the engine bay of a car. In that instance, it's more useful than M60. But I would be reluctant to make M61 an all-purpose lite.

So if M61 does not replace M60, then the Hound Dog surely does. The only problem being it's not in the same price range.

Initially I voted yes, but just changed my mind. After looking at this video review of the Hound Dog. HD obsoletes M60, by far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A6ibtObd_0

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I picked up an M60 from Oveready. Its not a warm tint - but I'm quite
happy nonetheless. It clearly has more reach than the M61 which is why I
wanted one - a small spot light for a light carbine.

As for the Hound Dog, I want one. However, it isn't a lego upgrade for my existing SF fleet and for me it wouldn't (and won't) replace the M60.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A warm module like this would be impossible to keep in stock. Gene has been asked to do this many times, but refrains. If you like the Malkoff MD2 hosts, two stage is possible with the brass resistor ring he sells.