Post count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highlandsun

Enlightened
1) Registration date can tell you who is a new member.
2, 3, and 4 - good points. I particularly was annoyed with other forums I've been on, seeing ForSale posts from someone with a post count of 1. They came, posted an ad, and left. Exploitation of the community, in my opinion.

But (3) is hard to judge; very often the people with the least to say are the ones talking the most...

Saaby

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
I'm wondering why this thread is in the Cafe instead of the Questions and Problems forum

[/ QUOTE ]

A thread started there and here. I decited to divert 2 or 3 posters this way instead of 6 or 7 that way. It was less disruptive to have it in the wrong place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And lest you should forget:
0-10 Newbie
11-999 Flashaholic
1000-1999 Flashaholic*
2000-2999 Flashaholic**
3000-3999 Flashaholic***
4000-4999 Flashaholic****
5000-9999 Flashaholic*****
10000 Needs Therapy

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for starting the thread in the wrong forum.

I would also like to call for the kids on the CPF to please respect the CPF and act as adults. You will learn as you get older that its not the sizes of your post count but the quality of what you have to offer that's important. I can think of one thread that people liked (The never ending story) that's now locked down due to your abuse. A lot of people found the count useful in different ways and now it's gone. Please don't keep screwing things up for everyone else.

Thanks

JOshooter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
Some of us (Who had high post counts to begin with) are cheering the fact that it's gone. People were assuming that, granted my high post count, I actually knew something. That just isn't right...

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I may finally be treated as an equal. I just want to cry thinking about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
I would also like to call for the kids on the CPF to please respect the CPF and act as adults.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please accept my apologies if I have posted anything of no use to the CPF community (Such as the "Ummm..." thread) but this was not used for "pumping" my post count. As far as I know, I have mostly posted for answering questions and trying to be a help to the CPF community. I'd like to know if anyone here thought of me as a "minor" before they knew my age - if so, please tell me why. I say this as to try to correct the "stereotyping" of "kids" in this community - not all of us are immature. Thank you for reading this,

Dan (Born 1988)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IMHO we need some kind of indicator to recognize the veterans with the most knowledge and expertise on CPF, be it a post count or something different. It really should help the newer members.
And DDave, a modded g-string might not be enough ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, I for one, am sad to see the post count gone.
I found it to be useful for the reasons listed above.

Its a SHAME that we all have to suffer alittle for a few bad apples. In the long run, I Suppose it will be for the best. I was getting sick of hearing about them as bragging rights. Oh boy... you have 687 posts now huh? what % of those were stupid and meaningless?

I am going to take the moderators advise, and try to watch out for ppl abusing the forum. Maybe if we all pitch in, and warn these people, this will all stop.
I will try to do my part, to make sure the EXCELLENT forum stays up and running.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Logic, Actually the "umm..." thread is not considered a thread to pump your post count, nor i considered you as a minor. In fact, i thought you are somewhere between 30 to 40 yrs old /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I think an admin also said that the "umm..." thread and other pointless thread like the "the never ending story" is ok on its own, until someone use that to pump their post counts.
Now that it is gone, how can we differentiate people from basic (post 11 to 100, for example) to intermediate? I think post counts make a good (albeit, slightly biased) consideration aspect.
IMHO, there should be something that put in place of post count, without the properties of it that can be misabused. More like points rated by the fellow CPF member.

just my 2 cents

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
More like points rated by the fellow CPF member.

just my 2 cents

[/ QUOTE ]

This is abused when certain people "gang up" against another member to reduce their rating because of issues... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Dan

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to see the post count gone.

Why not judge posts by their content rather than by the poster's count?

IMHO, it is ridiculously superficial to judge the merit of someone's opinion based on how many times they have posted.

As long as we keep the Registered Date(Reged), it is easy to tell how long someone has been around for B/S/T etc.

Pat

Tomas

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
logicnerd411 said: Please accept my apologies if I have posted anything of no use to the CPF community (Such as the "Ummm..." thread) ...

Dan (Born 1988)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan, I wouldn't worry about posting to the "Ummm..." thread - there were multiple posts in that thread, in line with the other content, by Sasha and DavidW. If we can not use their posts as examples of what is OK and what is not, then all is lost.

BTW: I had tagged you as a youngster from the first few posts of yours I read. Not from an immaturity in your posts, but more from word usage. Different generations use words differently, even if it is only subtle. Most people reading my posts probably have me pegged as an old reprobate from my style of language.

They'd be right, of course. I got married at age 21 and when you were born I'd been married 22 years ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Take care,
T_sig6.gif
disco.gif

Darkaway

Enlightened
I would never correlate a member's post count with his or her knowledge, experience, willingness to help newbies, lifestyle or anything else. It is simply a number and nothing more. I'm here to learn about flashlights and all of the "fluff" is superfluous to me.

JackBlades

Enlightened
Tomas, going on 44 YOA I too am an old fart.....but the young'uns around here never cease to amaze me. Intelligence, common sense, and a smattering of decent courtesy speak volumes about the "man behind the curtain".
You teens & twenty-somethings keep it up! You guys ARE the future.

I'm proud to be a member here.

Empath

Flashaholic
Your post count is still available to you. It's at the bottom of your "My Home" page. Your post count is available; it's just the incentive to compete for the most posts that's been removed.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I am also sad to see the post counts go away, for all of the reasons already described. But since they can still be accessed on the "My Home" page, and because the asterisks next to your title are still there, it isn't as bad as it could be. A total and complete obliteration of the post counts would be a pisser (something that gets you mad, not someone going #1), but preserving them on the "My Home" page is a good idea.

SFR

Newly Enlightened
My shopping experiences at eBay has taught me that you can't always trust a member's feedback rating or registration date. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Who had the most posts anyway?

Greta

Flashaholic
If idiots channeled all their power into common good we could end world hunger, achieve lasting peace and find the brightest smallest flashlight.

Thread closed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts