Power bank that can be charged with apple "lightning" cord recommendation

Poppy

Flashaholic
I think it comes down to how much you can spend as you could get by otherwise but PD is the future of power for perhaps most devices and likely even Apple may use it in everything in the future although they would be reluctant to conform as it would cost them a lot of revenue in lighting licensing etc.
Thanks bro,
I can certainly get by.
I live and work indoors, always near a charger, and if not indoors, I am usually in my car, with a charger.
Having a power bank of any kind is just a part of me being a Boy Scout, whose motto is to "Be Prepared".

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Heads up on the recharge rates of powerbank themselves,, even saying their PD.
Some with higher capacity will recharge around 65W, while others only at like 18W
~Skip the ones that recharge the unit themselves at slooooow rate, you'll be happy about that decision a year or two from now.

turbodog linked one with a 65w recharge rate {post # 16} ,, lean toward one w/ quality guts like that.

cheers

Poppy

Flashaholic
@orbital thanks for the suggestion!
@ $26, I'd buy it just at your recommendation. In your opinion is it still worth it full price? The reviews seem to lean to ... maybe, but worth it at half price. I read part of the promo requirements, and I got lost in the fine print.

What do you think?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
@orbital thanks for the suggestion!
@ $26, I'd buy it just at your recommendation. In your opinion is it still worth it full price? The reviews seem to lean to ... maybe, but worth it at half price. I read part of the promo requirements, and I got lost in the fine print.

What do you think?

+

Don't worry about the fine print, it's nothing with no obligations (basically says you can only do it once)
You have to sign in & click redeem,,, Amazon's done some wild promos' lately that were not listed under their 'Deals'

Actually Poppy; for $26 I got one, because it likely has six 21700s' in it, how do I say no to that!

Poppy

Flashaholic
+

Hey Poppy, this may be worth checking out.
Uses 21700 cells & recharges itself at 65W PD

could be a real bargain,,
Only $26 with promo

@orbital
I ordered that unit, and it was faulty. Didn't take a charge. Customer service made me print out a return label and return it, while they placed a replacement order. A few days later, I got a notice that my return was complete, and a week later, I still hadn't received my replacement. A few days later, I noted that the replacement order was cancelled, and there were no more units in stock.

I hadn't been notified.

I contacted customer support and was instructed to contact Amazon for a refund.

What a PIA for $26.
At any rate, that unit would not accept a "lightening cord" to recharge, which is want I wanted. So it will all work out in the end.

I just ordered THIS unit which will allow for any of three different charging plugs, including "lightening", USB C or micro USB.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I"m not sure but I saw an article somewhere in passing.... maybe youtube that equates Apple is going to be forced to adapt USB C for charging ALL their devices in the EU community. Will they also have a lightning option too or an adapter to convert lightning to USB C?

The reason we don't have dozens of weird charger cables is the EU forcing USB as a standard, likely them forcing USB C on apple will end lightning in this country for good.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've found that many modern USB-C powerbanks ship with a USB-A to USB-C cable compatible with pretty much any USB-A power supply and will generally have at least one USB-A output port that can be used with the USB-A to Lighting cables that iPhone users already have. If you're using a smaller powerbank, slower USB-A recharging isn't likely to be an issue.

Mildly OT:
Wouldn't break my heart to see micro-USB and Lighting go away. Micro-USB was always an awkward connector - polarized but poorly so to the point that it wasn't obvious to the user and it was also possible to force it and break the socket. Lightning was a superior solution to then-contemporary micro-USB but has since stood still to the point that it's well behind USB-C in terms of capabilities and just represents yet another connector/set of cables that has to be managed for all things AAPL. I'll concede that mechanically Lighting is somewhat better in one respect - there's no projection within the device port to catch detritus with such tight clearances that it's all but impossible to clean.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
@orbital
I ordered that unit, and it was faulty. Didn't take a charge. Customer service made me print out a return label and return it, while they placed a replacement order. A few days later, I got a notice that my return was complete, and a week later, I still hadn't received my replacement. A few days later, I noted that the replacement order was cancelled, and there were no more units in stock.

I hadn't been notified.

I contacted customer support and was instructed to contact Amazon for a refund.

What a PIA for $26.
At any rate, that unit would not accept a "lightening cord" to recharge, which is want I wanted. So it will all work out in the end.

I just ordered THIS unit which will allow for any of three different charging plugs, including "lightening", USB C or micro USB.
+

Mine charges fine at 63W via a 60W PD output. Been using it daily to run some led string lights in a lantern..
I'v used the powerbank to charge something else & it charged at 62w

You were using the usb c 'PD' to charge right?? maybe it needs high Watt charging (like 65W PD charger)
Do you have a high Watt PD charger?

nevertheless, I feel bad that I recommended it to you,,,, mine works fine.

edit: add

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
+

Mine charges fine at 63W via a 60W PD output. Been using it daily to run some led string lights in a lantern..
I'v used the powerbank to charge something else & it charged at 62w

You were using the usb c 'PD' to charge right?? maybe it needs high Watt charging (like 65W PD charger)
Do you have a high Watt PD charger?

nevertheless, I feel bad that I recommended it to you,,,, mine works fine.

edit: add
Oh please don't feel badly.

MADE in China leaves one with the expectation of poor quality control, and a higher than made in the USA failure rate.

I don't have a high watt charger. I tried using a typical wall wart, and a micro usb cable, and I tried, using the usb c port of my notebook computer, while it was plugged into the wall, as a power source to the usb c input of the power bank. Neither worked.

I suppose that if you charged yours with a standard 1 amp wall wart, it would take about 15 hours to charge, but it would charge none-the less.

I also bought a pair of 20 W wall warts, and usb c cables, to charge the unit that should get here on Tuesday. I wonder how many watts a "lightening" cord will support.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
MADE in China leaves one with the expectation of poor quality control, and a higher than made in the USA failure rate.
A quick search for 'made in USA powerbank' turned up boutique models, suggesting that the product genre is one of many consumer good categories not made in the US in any volume.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A quick search for 'made in USA powerbank' turned up boutique models, suggesting that the product genre is one of many consumer good categories not made in the US in any volume.
Ah yes. I have for years lamented the fact that we have become reliant on sources outside of our country (the USA) for essentials. I often cite the quote of Admiral Yamamoto in the film "Tora Tora Tora" when he states that he is afraid the we have awoken a sleeping giant." He was College educated in the US and was aware of our industrial might.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have for years lamented the fact that we have become reliant on sources outside of our country (the USA) for essentials.
Much of the industrial base for this sort of manufacturing is either gone or - especially in the case of more modern consumer electronics - never developed here. The politics of this are contentious so we'll not go into them, but under present conditions I would not expect any sort of labor-intensive low-end goods to be produced in the US.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
C018D9C7-8DB6-419B-91CF-25812D02EC7D.jpeg

Ear bud case from a dollar store will store a couple of cords and or adapters Poppy.
Plus they come in colors Stevie Wonder could see.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks Mr. Fixer.
I have a ready to go over-night bag that those little pouches might work to keep the charger cables, neatly packed.

In my car, I have a two USB port permanently installed where my cigar lighter used to be. I have two "lightening" cords always plugged in and ready to charge. One is longer and runs to the back seat for the kids. I have a separate micro usb cable that can get swapped in to charge a battery pack that is also always in the car.

My plan is, in-part to have a powerbank that can be charged with a "lightening" cord. It's coming tomorrow.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

hiya Poppy,

just wanted to let you know the powerbank I suggested to you above wouldn't turn Off as of yesterday.
I wasn't going to recharge it all the time , so I tore it apart and got six 21700 batteries out of it.
Well the $25~30 I spent on it was not a bad deal in the end (did nick up my hands more than I care to admit)

The cells are listed at 4.8Ah and the only place I could find them is here::

>> says $42.34 for eight of them,,,, so I guess I got a really good deal ;)

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I imagine that if you test each of those batteries, that you'll find that at least one of them isn't coming up to full charge.
They are most likely in parallel so likely it would overcharge the weaker ones or undercharge all of them.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an Aukey 20000mAh power bank with two input jacks, and can be charged via lightning or micro USB in March 2019.

This info might not help you much now, since it's gone from Amazon, but the model was PB-N36.
I have two of them and they are a good power bank, it looks reliable and long lasting.
(one is already many years old)