Praise for the Fenix LOD and suggestions for improvement

Gator762

Enlightened
4sevens said in one of the new Fenix model threads that there is something in the works for the L0D... Can't wait to see what it is!

OP is right about 95% of the time being sufficient... Maybe even more. :)

It's so easily pocket able it's the light I always have on me.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one earlier this year, and while I liked a lot of things about the light, I just hated the multi-mode twisty-switch. Worst interface ever IMO. Thankfully that issue was resolved for my by mating it with the switch/body of a SL Microstream. Problem solved, and it is now one of my most carried lights. I could do without the SOS and strobe modes, but the strobe is good for entertaining my kids.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A smaller price would be the largest improvement.

I guess I'd have to agree. Still, my L0D is one of the few pricier lights I own that, if I lost it, I'd immediately buy a new L0D to replace it. You don't see the L0D model come up for sale too often over at the MarketPlace.

(By "pricier," I mean the category this light falls into. $45 is a bit much for a 1AAA LED key-chain light. But the L0D is worth every penny).

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at the L0D CE that 4sevens has on sale.

I like the idea of the light, but I am having issues justifying paying close to $40 for a AAA light.

Also not sure about the whole twisty mode switching thing.

todo

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at the L0D CE that 4sevens has on sale.

I like the idea of the light, but I am having issues justifying paying close to $40 for a AAA light.

Also not sure about the whole twisty mode switching thing.

Paying $40 for light that is small enough to carry everywhere and is usefully bright for most all situations, makes sense. Actually more sense than payng twice that or more for big bright tacticals that spend most of their time in a drawer.

riversedge

Newly Enlightened
If you can live with the black L0D CE(non q4) in the clearance section, I just have one thing to say... CLEARANCE25:whistle:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lost my L0D-CE after 1.5 years with it. I miss having it in my pocket as an EDC. It does seem expensive but it was darn useful and it is well made and the amount of light out of this tiny light made it my favorite. Even more than the L2D.

Business has been slow and I can't afford a replacement right now, but I'd get a Q4 version in a heart beat.

If I had my way, I'd improve a couple things:
Q5 with warmer tint, say 4500-5000K if available.
Drop the SOS and strobe modes and have the three modes or maybe a 4th low, low mode.

oops

Newly Enlightened
I just sold my L0D Q4. Took quite a while to sell, too; demand is not great for used L0Ds.

I was happy with my previous L0D Rebel80, until it died from a trip through the washing machine (in my pocket); the Q4 was purchased as the replacement (waterproof warranty apparently does NOT include a riding through the washing machine in a pocket!). To me, the pwm was significantly less irritating with the Rebel80.

I'm using a Tiablo A1 now and am happier with it, but as always, looking for something even better.

So, to make me want an L0D again:
1. Get rid of the pwm!!! (like a miniaturized L1T Rebel80)
2. Improve color rendering (like a miniaturized L1T Rebel80)
3. 1 or 2 modes only (like a miniaturized L1T Rebel80)
4. Replace twisty with clicky (like a miniaturized L1T Rebel80)
5. Add more knurling

Last edited:

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened
I just got an L0D from 4sevens.com's firesale. I love it to death, but this is what I think should be improved:

Start on LOW Mode. Lower the lumens too.
Add a Turbo mode.
Increase PWM Frequency
Add More Knurling
Make the Split-Ring cut less sharp
Flatter Regulation
Support for Li-Ions
Sell a spare 2xAAA Body, maybe with a clicky.
Textured Reflector (Smooth the beam out)
Change to an XP-E, so a larger (possibly more efficient) reflector can be used. - or maybe even use the new 130lm/w GDP's.
My L0D CE is VERY blue, more than the Q5 WC tints I have. Perhaps use more premium bins? Maybe this is already solved in the Q4.

Siggyhk

Newly Enlightened
I have the Rebel80 version and love it. It replaced my P1 and it's the only light I currently own. I can't recall ever feeling like I didn't have enough light with it. I plan on buying a nice 2xAA light soon, but I don't really need one. I've had this L0D on my keys for nearly a year and never had a problem with it. The finish is holding up pretty good. I use Energizer lithiums in it and they seem to work well. I consider the price resasonable, the size very good, the runtimes very good, and the modes good.
A couple things I'd like to see in a upgraded version would be a low battery indicator, the light made as small as possible, and of course a more effecient LED. I also wouldn't mind it just having low and high modes. I guess the strobe can come in handy in the right situation, but I've yet to need it or the SOS.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still use the CPF8 code on the Q4 version year round :grin2:
True.

Unfortunately with the way the US/CDN exchange rate is going, it's currently cheaper to buy the Q4 version from the CDN Fenix retailer than from FS, even with the discount.

Last edited: