Pre-order info about Zebralight Q50

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
One thing I am wondering about this light is how the batteries will be placed in it so that they are in series to get the 5 to 6 volts needed and most importantly wil it be polarity protected if you mess up in the dark and by mistake align the cells wrong
Can't help you with the latter (although I would put money on polarity protection being present) but back in the now locked thread ZL mentioned it would be capable of running with just 2 AAs with reduced runtime. I'm very tempted by the thought of the w version so I'll try and control my itchy wallet finger until then!

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
What's so great about this light?

Small AA light that is 800 lumens. Easily pocketable for some of us.

The safety of NiMH batteries

Alkaline and NiMH batteries are widely available at stores in many parts of the U.S.

So I would say it's because of size, power, safety, and convenience

Scubie67

Enlightened
Can't help you with the latter (although I would put money on polarity protection being present) but back in the now locked thread ZL mentioned it would be capable of running with just 2 AAs with reduced runtime. I'm very tempted by the thought of the w version so I'll try and control my itchy wallet finger until then!

I remember the 2AA operable statement,It would be great if it had polarity protection with 4 batteries especially if they are alternating placed pos. to neg.

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Not too difficult to implement mechanically I wouldn't have thought, just recessed positive contacts that can't complete the circuit with the flat negative end of the cells. We shall see....

Samy

Enlightened
The reflector on the Q50 looks slightly larger to me than the Sc600. I will be purchasing a Q50 as a general house and backyard light for use around home.

Cheers

Napalm

Enlightened
What's so great about this light?

Scubie and Acid are crazy about it, they froth at the mouth for now but if it doesn't come out soon they'll start barking or something.

So for their sanity (and the forum's) we need it ASAP.

Thus I submit that this light is even more important than the Mako.

Nap. ;)

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting anxious myself.

Maybe their is heat issue to work out, or something like that.

I hope it isn't some kind of marketing thing, say for instance, where he doesn't want to step on any of the sales of his SC600 right now.

Me --- I'm waiting for the Q50 and H502, and not buying any other LEDs in the mean time, other than maybe a taillight for my bike.

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
Well after thinking about Scubie's post, I thought I'd check out Zebralight's Facebook page and see if there was any news about the Q50.
Well ---- sure enough, there's a new version of the SC600. It has a lanyard ring and less parasitic drain. So maybe it is a marketing thing and not wanting to step on any sales of the SC600 at this point. Might have some inventory on that thing that they want to move.

Last edited:

fnsooner

Enlightened
I just spoke with James the National Sales Rep. for Zebralight.

Is this the same James-
that started the ZL SC600 thread with a FAQ and a poll just about the time pre-orders became available?
that if you read his post history, it is post after post after post of ZL pimpage?
who mysteriously dissapeared from these boards and hasn't posted since July?

If so, I did'nt know he worked for ZL.
If not, sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
Is this the same James-
that started the ZL SC600 thread with a FAQ and a poll just about the time pre-orders became available?
that if you read his post history, it is post after post after post of ZL pimpage?
who mysteriously dissapeared from these boards and hasn't posted since July?

If so, I did'nt know he worked for ZL.
If not, sorry for the confusion.

All that I know, is that when I called ZebraLight, a guy named James answered the phone and told me that he was the Sales Rep..
If I remember correctly -- more specifically, I think he said that he was the NATIONAL Sales Rep.

Who knows? It might be the same guy that did the postings you're talking about.

--------------------------------
Steve ---- AKA How Goes It

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
If you look on Zebralight's spreadsheet, they now have no date regarding the release of the Q50.

Could be a vaporware item.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recollection is there was some discussion on the forums a few months ago about this light.

Apparently Zebralight got overloaded with orders for the SC600 and SC80 so changed their plans for what lights to build. My vague recollection was that the Q50 either won't be produced at all or if it does, the earliest it would happen is early next year.

I could be wrong though. My memory is a little hazy on this. You might want to try a forum search.

How Goes It

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I remember the talk on how their manufacturing facilities were not able to take on the Q50 because of the SC600. But I have a hard time buying that at this point.

I think it could be something like that it is more involved to make, and not worth the hassle.
Of course that is just conjecture on my part.

But this looks like a dead duck to me.

I'm guessing they might prefer to stick with the more straightforward round tube single cell designs, at this point.