Presenting: CRELANT 7G5 V2 (prepare to want one!)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
An SR90 with an Aspheric Head would have to be ridiculously big in size.
It is ok to show someone what the Crelant can do with an Aspheric Head but really I could not see myself walking through the bush or anywhere for that matter without spill.
The Dereelight Aspheric is a "WOW" factor sort of thing but it should be used with other lights or rifle mounted with a scope.
The Crelant Aspheric image is at least twice the size of the Dereelight beam image but no brighter.
The Crelant 7G5 V2 already throws enough into the distance without the Aspheric Head and has good enough spill and that is how I will be using mine.
I still wish the strobe function of the Crelant was hidden and not part of the normal cycle of the modes!!
My favorite lights are still ITP EOS A3 Upgraded (3 light levels) for pocket use (EDC), the Klarus XT11 in my bag, Thrunite TN31 for serious lighting in my back pocket and then the biggies when really out in the middle of nowhere, the SR90 and TK70.
You only need about 4 lights to do all the tasks from pocket EDC to lighting the darkness like day big time, it is just finding the right ones to fit each usage need that is an ongoing search.
I have found mine for now.
I never went for the Xtar S1 production version because I tried it out and you can't get quickly to another light level after it has been preset without ramping to find it.
That's why I like the TN31, instant access to a good selection of light levels from moonlight to 1147 lumens via the magnetic ring and shorter body that still fits in my back pocket unlike a TK70 or SR90.
What do I do with all of the lights I picked up in my search along the way?
They are all in aluminium attache cases with foam cutouts around them all.
At least they are safe from serious harm.
Cheers

Yeah the SR90 Aspheric head would be extremely large.
For me, the Crelant Aspheric would be a nice support light to tag something that's just a bit out of range of reflector-based lights, but to use it primarily in duty, naah. Spill is just as important as the spot in the middle.
I'm still amazed at the dereelight aspheric for its size, it can throw like the big reflector-based boys. :) It's really a must-have for flashaholics. :)
Fortunately strobe has already been removed in the 7G9, it would have been better if it was hidden away like the other lights with two buttons, press and hold mode button for strobe. So it never gets in the way. Actually that's where the TN31 wins, because you set it to the mode you want, even before switching the light on! Now only if that light was sold cheaper! EGAD!
I think no flashlight collection is complete without at least 1 AAA backup light. I too own the iTP A3 Upgraded and it travels with me wherever I go. I just pop in a 10440 for 200+ lumens then i'm all set! :)
With the price difference between the 7G9 and the TN31, i'd rather get a TN31.
One thing about our collection, is that we are prepared for for any possible scenario, up close work, far away, large fields middle of nowhere. Non-flashaholics would ask, "Do you really need that many flashlights?" we'd say "Yup!" :)

For me i keep my lights in neoprene bags with those silicon dehumidifiers. I keep lithium ion batts in them so they are ready to go. For those lights that dont get used often, i check them once a month, test the battery, test the switches then back to storage. Sometimes i rotate out the batteries with the lights i regularly use to keep the batteries in shape. I noticed stagnant batteries take a few cycles of charge-discharge for them to go back to their optimal performance levels.

My two cents. :)

Native89

Newly Enlightened
Have had the 7G5v2 for 2 days now (thanks to madecov) and as my first real thrower I love it. Got used to the modes real quick as I also own a 4Sevens X10. Feel is solid and performance is smile inducing, especially with the collimator.

Only issue I've had so far is that the "pill"
I guess, containing the LED and driver, started unscrewing itself from its metal body. This in turn led to the beam getting unfocused while using the collimator head. So, just hand screwed the sucker down and it's been fine ever since.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

armyl

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a dereelight aspherical ez900 flashlight for throw which will out throw this so i might not buy this but i like what im seeing. Ill buy a light when the next new led comes out.

JudasD

Enlightened
Only issue I've had so far is that the "pill"
I guess, containing the LED and driver, started unscrewing itself from its metal body. This in turn led to the beam getting unfocused while using the collimator head. So, just hand screwed the sucker down and it's been fine ever since.

To me this is more of a benefit. I really like the idea that the switch can be taken apart and that the led and logic can also be removed. This is very nice for those that like to clean and lube their lights.

JD

asval

Newly Enlightened
How does the Crelant 7G2CS compare with the 7G5 V2 (with 1 18650 cell)?

I like the 7G2CS more because of the smaller head, but I'm guessing the trade off is that I'll get less throw.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the Crelant 7G2CS compare with the 7G5 V2 (with 1 18650 cell)?

I like the 7G2CS more because of the smaller head, but I'm guessing the trade off is that I'll get less throw.

The 7G5V2 will still throw better than the 7G2CS. In fact, the 7G5V2 still throws better than the V9-T6 (I own both so i know) and the V9-T6 definitely out-performs the 7G2CS.

If you want a single 18650 light from Crelant with a capable throw, it would be better to consider the V9CS or the V9-T6. Go with the 7G2CS if you want a smaller headed light with a good enough throw.

asval

Newly Enlightened
The 7G5V2 will still throw better than the 7G2CS. In fact, the 7G5V2 still throws better than the V9-T6 (I own both so i know) and the V9-T6 definitely out-performs the 7G2CS.

If you want a single 18650 light from Crelant with a capable throw, it would be better to consider the V9CS or the V9-T6. Go with the 7G2CS if you want a smaller headed light with a good enough throw.

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to ask whether any of them had 18650 voltage protection , including the newer models. I seem to remember reading that one of the V9's had voltage protection, but only for CR123 cells.