Primary Lithium battery explodes!

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious. I know a typical AA has about 2700 to 3000 mAh.

How much capacity does a typical cell phone battery have? Just curious how many AAs does it take to charge a cell phone batteries or how many cell batteries can a single AA charge.

thunderlight

Enlightened
:oops:Should have known better:

Had standard Energizer llithium batteries in a UK 2xAAA Eled that became extremely hot over a 3 hour period during which I had the flashlight in my pocket. Probably would have exploded/vented whatever if I hadn't noticed how hot the flashlight became. I then noted that this particular flashlight had a flaky switch. The flashlight may have been running at extremely low drain even though it was off. I have another model that has a better switch, but I am not about to experiment again with these batteries in this model.

Note that I knew that the switch was somewhat flaky beforehand and should have thought about the consequences, so this is largely my fault. However, you should make sure the switching mechanism has a high degree of integrity, especially with an older model, before using lithiums in series. [Since someone might ask this question, the lithium batteries did not have any effect on the switch. That is, it was as flaky before and after.]

Hans

Enlightened
Had standard Energizer llithium batteries in a UK 2xAAA Eled that became extremely hot over a 3 hour period during which I had the flashlight in my pocket. Probably would have exploded/vented whatever if I hadn't noticed how hot the flashlight became. I then noted that this particular flashlight had a flaky switch.

I had a similar problem with the UK 2AAA eLED, but mine was running on alkalines. When I noticed something was wrong the light was already so hot that the plastic around the bezel had somewhat deformed. Quite an interesting experience as the light was in one of my front pockets at the time and thus in a place where you definitely don't want to have a *hot* light.

My explanation was that I hadn't locked out the light properly, so pressure on the bezel somehow caused a short.

Hans

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a similar problem with the UK 2AAA eLED, but mine was running on alkalines. When I noticed something was wrong the light was already so hot that the plastic around the bezel had somewhat deformed. Quite an interesting experience as the light was in one of my front pockets at the time and thus in a place where you definitely don't want to have a *hot* light.

My explanation was that I hadn't locked out the light properly, so pressure on the bezel somehow caused a short.

Hans

i'm thinkin' more FRESH batts (it runs cooler as the batts run down), and just being insulated in your pocket for ~3hrs. however, the plastic deforming, i would have thought that you'd be hollerin' long before that, unless there was even more insulation between you and the eLED.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
From their FAQ:

"...The unit is primarily intended to provide instant power for a cell phone. It is recommended as a battery extender. If your phone is on the last bar of battery power and you will be placing a call you should plug the unit into the phone and make your call while the unit is plugged in. During the call the unit will provide the power necessary to make the call without further depleting your battery. Using it in this manner will provide the power needed to make all the calls until you can charge your phone with your home charger or car charger...."

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that this is exactly the wrong way to use lithium cells. Isn't this exactly the same as mixing old and new lithium cells or "mis-matched" lithium cells ? The "new" cell trying to charge up the "old" cell is exactly what they say is the problem with these things. This is precisely the situation they tell you to avoid if you don't want a KABOOM. If I've got this wrong, please steer me in the right direction ;)

edit: I hear kaboom is frowned upon, the preferred phrase is: "Rapid disassembly accompanied by flame."

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
From their FAQ:

"...The unit is primarily intended to provide instant power for a cell phone. It is recommended as a battery extender. If your phone is on the last bar of battery power and you will be placing a call you should plug the unit into the phone and make your call while the unit is plugged in. During the call the unit will provide the power necessary to make the call without further depleting your battery. Using it in this manner will provide the power needed to make all the calls until you can charge your phone with your home charger or car charger...."

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that this is exactly the wrong way to use lithium cells. Isn't this exactly the same as mixing old and new lithium cells or "mis-matched" lithium cells ? The "new" cell trying to charge up the "old" cell is exactly what they say is the problem with these things. This is precisely the situation they tell you to avoid if you don't want a KABOOM. If I've got this wrong, please steer me in the right direction ;)

edit: I hear kaboom is frowned upon, the preferred phrase is: "Rapid disassembly accompanied by flame."

interesting point. i'm not sure that it really works that way though.

first, an excerpt from the source you quoted:

"During the call the unit will provide the power necessary to make the call without further depleting your battery. Using it in this manner will provide the power needed to make all the calls until you can charge your phone with your home charger or car charger...."

notice that, according to the quote,

"the unit provices power...to make the call", and further "you can charge your phone with your home charger or car charger"

NOTHING is mentioned of charging the battery with the unit in that quote. Maybe it does; maybe it doesn't. Don't want to make any assumption here from lack of evidence. The only thing we can conclude, assuming that the statements as stated are accurate, is that the unit can power the phone to make the call without resulting in further battery depletion, and that you can use your home or car charger(s) to recharge your battery. Any other conclusions might be deemed non sequiters, IMO.

Now, however, let's assume, for the moment that a unit can be used to recharge the phone's battery.

Would the unit be directly charging the battery? Or, would the unit be powering some electronics in the phone which isolate the unit from the battery directly and which in turn then charge the battery (meaning, the electronics in the phone then directly charge the battery)?

don't know, but that's how it might work *IF* the unit has any ability to charge the phone's battery. just a thought.

Last edited:

pfwag

Newly Enlightened
A little history: Some 21 years ago I worked at the Naval Ocean Systems Center in Hawaii. They did lots of things with marine mammals and needed underwater transponders, pingers and other sort of electronics that needed lots of battery power to operate underwater electronics for a long time. One of our favorite batteries was the GTE double D lithium. If I remember correctly, it was 3.6VDC and 15AHR. Of course they needed to find out what happened to a battery if an under water container leaked and filled with ocean water. The guy I worked with ran tests on shorting out the batteries under various conditions. The bottom line was that the battery could be made to explode with the power equivalent to 2/3 stick of dynamite. I didn't see the actual experiments but saw the movies of the results. Big bang! It was after that that the MFRs started changing the chemistry to reduce the output power and internal heating.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
A little history: Some 21 years ago I worked at the Naval Ocean Systems Center in Hawaii. They did lots of things with marine mammals and needed underwater transponders, pingers and other sort of electronics that needed lots of battery power to operate underwater electronics for a long time. One of our favorite batteries was the GTE double D lithium. If I remember correctly, it was 3.6VDC and 15AHR. Of course they needed to find out what happened to a battery if an under water container leaked and filled with ocean water. The guy I worked with ran tests on shorting out the batteries under various conditions. The bottom line was that the battery could be made to explode with the power equivalent to 2/3 stick of dynamite. I didn't see the actual experiments but saw the movies of the results. Big bang! It was after that that the MFRs started changing the chemistry to reduce the output power and internal heating.

And may Flipper rest in peace. :whistle:

PS) Welcome to CPF !!!

scott1981

Newly Enlightened
When Lithium reacts with water this is the reaction taking place:

2Li + 2H2O ----> 2LiOH + H2

LiOH is somewhat caustic, and H2 is flammable. Besides the organic electrolyte is also toxic and causes skin irritation as it can act as an acid (tyonil chloride)