Primary Lithium battery explodes!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Wow, hookoo, glad you are OK, and your house is still standing. I agree that these two explosions are coincidences, but we are a small community and the penetration of lithium batteries goes way farther than CPF, so it gives some pause for concern.

I will, of course, continue to use all my lithiums batts, but I'm not going to put them into any appliance/toy/flashlight my daughter uses, because I'm not sure she would run away from smoke.

daloosh

hookoo

Newly Enlightened
The charger still seems to work fine. I will try to get some current readings tonight with nimh and an alkaline today. Maybe that could help solve what happened.

batterystation

Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
Holy cow! Glad that everyone is ok. What a scary event!

I think you should report this to the Consumer Product Safety Commission at once. If the instructions indicate that such asn activity is OK, there could be many other explosions and/or fires happening.

Even having passed UL approval and been in touch with the CPSC numerous times over the bunny battery and import issues, this battery project (L-AA) has been put on indefinite hold or scrapped. This one is still new enough that there is not enough of a track record like the CR123A that a gazillion different companies make. So it has been scrapped. Anyone that has these may send them back for exchange of something else or refund. I am NOT saying they are dangerous, but clearly there is something that even UL could not duplicate. Enough.

Sure, there is a risk with everything, but here, this is definitely a fault in one or the other product.

1. Phone charger manufacturer stated specifically it can use a lithium AA in its FAQ.

2. Due to a fault in either the battery source or the battery powered appliace source, the battery exploded and caused property damage.

I have no idea which one's at fault, but one thing I know is that if what you described is true, you used the product normally, so either or both manufacturers should assume product liability for all cost of property damage.

Someone posted Streamlight rep told him avoid "Made in China" batteries. I don't believe this is true. My opinion is that you should avoid buying batteries from a brand without a substantial existance in the country you are in. The company isn't exactly worried about "reputation" in consumer brand.

Big names, regardless of where the item is made, cares about their brand image. For example, even if Energizer ships L91 manufacturing to China, because the corporation is in the United States, should something go wrong, you can directly go after their American corporation for damage liability.

hookoo, if you try it again with a different brand lithium, this time, say on an open dirt field or in the sandbox with nothing flammable within the 30' perimeter, you should be alright even if something goes wrong.

Last edited:

DownUnderLite

Newly Enlightened
Oh Dear!! Personally I'd stay away from any of these types of products. I'd wait a few years for the manufacturers to iron the bugs out.

How many times have we waited so eagerly for that long awaited product or software to be released only to find that it needs updating straight away. Or for that new model car to be released only to find it being recalled due to some safety issue. In the case of car manufacturers, they wait for a certain number of failures before recognising the problem. In the case of what we are involved with, we are talking about our houses, cars and personal health!
I feel that manufacturers release there products prematurely in a bid to capture market at the expense of extensive testing.

Forgot to add (too busy ranting, sorry about that! Chief) I was talking about the new device that can manage to draw 6V from a 1-2 V cell

My 2cents :rant:

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Im going to store my lithium batteries [by leaving space between battery] in a electrical tape lined stainless steel bin with an oversided plastic bag filled with sand on top from now on.:candle:

If one does decide to react, the flame will eat through the plastic bag and It shall extinguish itself..:grin2:

Thanks for the idea, now to steal sand from the beach...:huh:

*Retired*
hookoo said:
I had purchased a Turbo Charge cell phone charger about a week ago. http://www.turbocellcharge.com/
Had no problems using with Nimh and Alkalines in this charger. It does get warm, but heard this was pretty normal. According to the products manual, lithiums are okay in this thing so I decided to give it a try. I put in a battery and connected to my phone. The battery capsule felt instantly very hot. Much more then in just normal operation. So, in under 20 seconds I quickly unscrewed the battery holder trying to avoid something much worse, and dumped out the battery on the table. It smelled of smoke and seemed to get even more unstable even out of the capsule. About 10 seconds later. A huge flame shoots out, and like a rocket it shot to the ceiling and bounced and started two small fires. one portion of the ( stuff inside ) landed on an cotton t-shirt by the laundry, that caught on fire. and the other on my wifes skirt. The battery itself melted my carpet. And a huge black stain remains. If it wasn't for the fire extinguisher, I don't think I would have a house. It was very hot and took the entire fire extinguisher to put out the fires.

What the heck happened?

DSC01225.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

Wow, amazing!

That must have been one heck of a boom!

If this happens again, be careful, byproducts from Lithium explosions/venting can be hazardous to your health. Try to use gloves or something. If you get cut or inhale the vapors, it is probably good to take an MSDS sheet with you, and seek medical attention.

One of our own CPF'ers had a rather bad medical experience recently, summarized in I think it was post #6:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1474397

So if I understand things right, this product uses Lithium AA batteries to recharge your cell phone?

Since it worked fine with Alkalines and NiMH, it is very interesting.

Last edited:

philpem

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I've got a Ring CybaLite here that runs off a single CR123 (a Duracell Ultra "Made in USA" at the moment). This is slightly worrying, seeing as it's not just affecting Battery Station...

The speculation about stiff springs compressing the safety vent is interesting. If that is the cause (big if), then I doubt my CybaLite will have any issues - the spring is pretty weak.

I've actually built Li-ion chargers, so I know how fussy lithium-based battery chemistry can be. That's half the reason why I'm still using NiMH, even though I've got a cupboard full of 18650s. Oh, and from experience NiMHs don't tend to fail as violently. Makes it more fun to design a charger - less risk...

*Retired*
philpem said:
Hmm, I've got a Ring CybaLite here that runs off a single CR123 (a Duracell Ultra "Made in USA" at the moment). This is slightly worrying, seeing as it's not just affecting Battery Station...

The speculation about stiff springs compressing the safety vent is interesting. If that is the cause (big if), then I doubt my CybaLite will have any issues - the spring is pretty weak.

I've actually built Li-ion chargers, so I know how fussy lithium-based battery chemistry can be. That's half the reason why I'm still using NiMH, even though I've got a cupboard full of 18650s. Oh, and from experience NiMHs don't tend to fail as violently. Makes it more fun to design a charger - less risk...

FYI, in my testing of Lithium 123 cells, the venting still occurs with very little spring force.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I was just reading this thread which was recently linked. I still have 8xAA of these BS LiFeS2 1.5V cells that have never been used. They now test with my Fluke 179 to range between 1.878V to 1.651V and I'm not sure I should use these after reading this thread. They were all bought at the same time about 15 months ago.

No point in overreacting, but any feedback on these cells and voltages?

bsaa.jpg

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never bought any primary Lithium AA battery. Not today, not the future. Your story scares the hell out of me. I do use rechargeable bare cells but I didn't know Primary Lithium AA can be this violent. :poof::mad::ohgeez::sick2::duck:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...If the charger shorted the battery and the PTC failed to trip, the cell would not have exploded after it was removed from the charger...

Why? Li is subject to thermal runaway - a thermal regenerative feedback of sorts, or at least analogous to it. So, why can't it start in the "charger" (so to speak, not a charger in the traditional sense) and then continue releasing more oxygen and feeding itself after it's out of the device until a critical level is achieved and then KABOOM! After some initial point, the Li-batt chemical just feeds itself without any outside influence - at least that's my current understanding of a portion of this process.

Is this scenario physically possible? Any thoughts anyone?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I never bought any primary Lithium AA battery. Not today, not the future. Your story scares the hell out of me. I do use rechargeable bare cells but I didn't know Primary Lithium AA can be this violent. :poof::mad::ohgeez::sick2::duck:

That sounds like one vote for me to not use these.

David_Campen

Enlightened
Battery Station stopped selling their brand of Lithium AA cells a year ago.

I use lithium AA cells in series configuration of 2 and 4. I have not had any fire or explosive events with either BatteryStation or Energizer cells. I have had a couple of non-violent failures of the Battery Station cells - one split open lengthwise whille sitting in a headlamp battery compartment and another, also being used as a set of 4 in a headlamp, went to zero volts prematurely while the other 3 in the set still each had over 1 watt-hour of power remaining.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just reading this thread which was recently linked. I still have 8xAA of these BS LiFeS2 1.5V cells that have never been used. They now test with my Fluke 179 to range between 1.878V to 1.651V and I'm not sure I should use these after reading this thread. They were all bought at the same time about 15 months ago.

No point in overreacting, but any feedback on these cells and voltages?

It's like winning the lottery. Since someone else won, you probably did not win and won't win ever. I would still use those lithiums. Give em to me if you plan on throwing them out.