Primary vs. Rechargeable. What's in your HDS?

What's your preferred power source?

• CR123: Cost of operation? I've got that in my front pocket.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • 16340: Go green!

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 18650: Size matters!

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • 2AA: I sometimes stir paint with my flashlight.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming back around to this thread as I try to switch over to rechargeable cells for my lights. Noticed that the Olight and Fenix 16340 cells are a little tough to come by lately on the big e-commerce site that starts with the letter "A".

However, they do carry "Rapthor" protected cells that appear to have pretty good reviews. Curious if anyone has specifically used these in their HDS?
HDS now have their own brand 16340s which I would rather trust than anything on the big A.
Also Ampsplus are working well for me as it's easier to get hold of them over here.

If you haven't discovered HKJ's reviews yet, now is the time.....
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonSmallcomparator.php

P

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Revisiting this thread, I still use CR123s in my standard sized HDSes, but I've since acquired a clicky 18650 battery tube. I use it with my sw45 for basically everything other than day time edc use at the office. A 3500 mAh 18650 has a seemingly bottomless capacity when compared with either a CR123 or a 16340. I'm a fan. I plan to pick up a rotary version of the 18650 tube for my High Noon when Henry's two weeks have finally expired.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you should mention the tubes, I've just been thinking about them as I tend to replace the 16340 in my everyday HDS daily. A 18650 would make a lot of sense although I'd miss the smallness.
Trouble is the tube isn't cheap, add in the shipping and i could buy another complete light on the WTS.
P

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 3500 mAh 18650 has a seemingly bottomless capacity when compared with either a CR123 or a 16340. I'm a fan.

I am a fan also. The run time of an 18650 is great in the winter when it is dark longer. I also like that it increases the length of the HDS light so I can more easily manipulate the light wearing winter gloves.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 18500 would be pretty slick with a sleeve so you could run a single AA as well.
Would be between the length of an 18650 and 123. Running a Panasonic 2040 mAh 18500... that would be about perfect... and lets add a spacer to also run a single primary 123 as well. This would be my perfect TEOTWAWKI light.

A Hogo can dream.

TheJLew85

Enlightened
An 18500 would be pretty slick with a sleeve so you could run a single AA as well.
Would be between the length of an 18650 and 123. Running a Panasonic 2040 mAh 18500... that would be about perfect... and lets add a spacer to also run a single primary 123 as well. This would be my perfect TEOTWAWKI light.

A Hogo can dream.

I'd be in for one or two as well!!

Last edited:

Mtbmurf

Newly Enlightened

A Hogo can dream.

omg! Pretty please... daily conundrum...deal with length and weight of my 18650 rotary but never worry bout power, or love the light weight 16340 but deal with the battery swap daily...(dress slacks shirt tie daily work apparal) i carry an extra 16340 on my keychain.. but...!!! 18500 tube!!! Bring it on!!!

bigfoot

Enlightened
So are eneloop pro nimh subject to the same fire safety issues as 16340 etc?

Not a battery expert here by any means, so I'm sure someone else can chime in, but have been using Eneloops for the last 10-12 years with zero hiccups. They are NiMH cells so I think the risk compared to lithium primaries and lithium rechargeable batteries is really, really low.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trouble is the tube isn't cheap, add in the shipping and i could buy another complete light on the WTS.
P

You've convinced me. I'll just have to buy a complete rotary with the 18650 tube. Think of all the money I'll save!

So are eneloop pro nimh subject to the same fire safety issues as 16340 etc?

Nimh cells are very safe. As with any chemically stored energy, there is some theoretical chance of fire, but this chemistry is really laid back and doesn't get excited easily. Think Bob Marley.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo! Not nice! Now I'm thinking that I should stock up on 18500 batteries! Do you have any insider info to share?!? :devil:

I love the size of the CR123 tube but the 16340s run out of juice pretty quickly, good thing it's getting colder and I have an 18650 tube with a beautiful holster.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo! Not nice! Now I'm thinking that I should stock up on 18500 batteries! Do you have any insider info to share?!? :devil:

I love the size of the CR123 tube but the 16340s run out of juice pretty quickly, good thing it's getting colder and I have an 18650 tube with a beautiful holster.

Don't hold your breath... you will die of asphyxiation. As everyone knows, things move VERY slowly at HDS.
I can say that "I wants it." And so the badgering and pestering of Henry for "my precious" will continue.
It's more complicated than just making a different size tube as the elf would need to change in order for the light to be able to run off from 1.5 volts for a single AA compatibility which I consider necessary in this form factor. I mean, if the battery fits, then it makes sense for the light to be able to use it.
For my wee-little hobbit hands, the 123 tube works well, but being a touch longer (18500) shouldn't interfere with my portly love handles when on a belt... though I should drop about 50 pounds before the ticker gives out and I eject my soul... probably stroke out first anyway from stress. I'll be sure to head towards the light.

I just think this form factor would be perfect for an HDS. As I always say, options are good. Could run an 18500 and wouldn't even need a spacer with a AA... just roll some paper around the battery in an emergency. Have a little battery holder made for a 123 primary to fit...

HDS is already "large" for a 123 compared to what else it out there, but this is due to the robustness of the light. Still amazes me the more I learn about the engineering behind it and why things are certain ways with the light. I will say besides being "modder hostile" it isn't much more friendly with production.

hcd615

Enlightened
who makes and where can I purchase a few of the CR123 size battery holders as show in the above post, far left, clear case.

Latest posts