Primary vs. Rechargeable. What's in your HDS?

What's your preferred power source?

• CR123: Cost of operation? I've got that in my front pocket.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • 16340: Go green!

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 18650: Size matters!

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • 2AA: I sometimes stir paint with my flashlight.

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, buddy. Just ordered a few. I think I'll still favor primaries, but I'm looking to cut down on the number that I use.

congrats on your new IMR cells..
curious
What made you choose a High Discharge cell instead of a Protected one?
And why choose flat top instead of button?

How fast does your use pattern consume a CR123?..
expect half that from the rechargeables..

I like rechargeable, because I dont have to be shy about using high mode.. ;-)

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
What made you choose a High Discharge cell instead of a Protected one?

Personal preference. It's a subject that has been contentious elsewhere, but I don't trust protection circuits. I see them as another potential point of failure. Not wishing to debate with the other fellas who prefer protected cells.

And why choose flat top instead of button?

At first, I couldn't find unprotected button tops from a reputable dealer, but I worked that out. Now I'm expecting both. lol

How fast does your use pattern consume a CR123?..

Hard to say, really, as I use a number of different flashlights. Maybe I just want maximum output without the guilt? Kind of like I want full flavor beer without the calories? These first world problems are no joke. :laughing:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of interest, how many do you use in a year?

Hard to say. My use of CR123's has slowed down dramatically over the past six months since I've been an HDS user. They are much gentler on batteries than, say, the Elzetta products I'd been using previously. At my current rate, maybe 40-50 per year.

Gaffle

Enlightened
Since 2010 I've used about 24 CR123. If I think hard enough I remember buying a 12pack twice. I used the last fresh primary just recently. In the middle was 2 AW IMR 16340s. I've made my mind to go for a 18650 Clicky tube for my next EDC. Being that my HDS has it's max stepped down I reckon I'll get 6 hours on high. Oh yeah! Pair of Armytek 18650 (Panasonic cells) with 3400mah. Blows away my 550mah AW. My HDS was the first CR123 type. Before that I was the typical AA fan. Running rechargeables made operation impressively cheap.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the purchase of the HDS, I have only used primary batteries, it went on for several months, then i bought the unprotected ICR 600 mAh and used them, leaving the primary close by in plastic case for an emergency or very cold weather. Some time ago I bought 4 pieces Olight protected IMR 550 mAh for use in Elzetta and SF. I got for a very unpleasant surprise - these batteries are disconnected at the most inconvenient moment and without warning (protection trips at 2.75 V, if to believe the manufacturer's website). I did not know where to use these batteries and decided to try to insert into HDS and look at the work of battery protection today. I put a fully charged cell and turned on the maximum in 16.00, in 16.01 lantern down on 23 mode and keep on shining brightly. In 17.09 he blinked once and dropped a little more. in 17.21 he began to blink 2 times. In 17.44 he started blinking often, but he was still burning, I think it was level 2 or 3, I clearly see glowing diode crystals. Then I stopped his work. Interestingly, the protection of the battery itself has not worked yet. I put the battery in the charger and it charged quickly enough, it's cool, now these 4 batteries will be next to this flashlight + there are always 2-3 spare primary cr123 batteries with me.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 4 pieces Olight protected IMR 550 mAh for use in Elzetta and SF.
decided to try to insert into HDS and look at the work of battery protection today.
Interestingly, the protection of the battery itself has not worked yet.

Good info, you got 1 hour 44 minutes of decreasing brightness, ending with dimmed light flashing. (<1 lumen @ 3v)

yes, when using a protected battery, IF a high Lumen mode (20+) is requested when the battery is near empty, it will trigger protection and shut the light off. otoh, as you confirmed, the HDS steps down to sublumen blinking at 3v, so Protection will not be triggered. Yes protection is at 2.7v, but there is sag when demanding high lumens. A battery at 3v will trip protection if high lumens are requested.

HDS battery detection is automatic. So if you remove the battery when it is at 3v, and put it back into the HDS (bad idea), that turns off the 3v shutoff (the HDS thinks its a Primary). If you then try to use high lumens, it will immediately trip protection.

The battery protection circuit is working the way it is supposed to. The HDS LiIon battery low voltage trigger is also working properly.

When using LiIon in a light with no built in step downs, it is important to know battery voltage. It is a very good thing that you are using protected batteries. Best to recharge long before 3v.. good to recharge at 3.6v, which is half empty.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've begun using 16340's in my HDS line up, but only on a limited basis. I use them in my 4000K Executive, which is more or less dedicated to use around the house. With my EDC lights, I find that I end up changing batteries too often, which is undesirable for me. I considered an 18650 battery tube, but the CR123's provide adequate run time in a superb form factor.

Tejasandre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do 16340's. But just noticed they've only been charging to 4.1. Guess it's time for new batteries

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Capacity seems to deplete pretty quickly on RCR/16340's. I've noticed when I start getting low battery warnings from an HDS, I can get away with quite a bit more runtime before I'm left in the dark. I often don't even bother changing the cell even if I have a spare on me. I may get an 18650 on my next HDS though.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 16340's are still quite new, having less than 10 charge/discharge cycles each. They will charge to 4.2 and then quickly fall to ~4.12. To me that seems normal. My 18650's do the same thing, although I don't charge them beyond 4.1 in order to maximize their life time. That strategy works with 18650's, but the capacity on these little buggers is so limited that you need every bit of charge just to be practical. Good thing they are cheap! Each one costs about the same as two primary CR123's.

ven

Flashaholic
I've begun using 16340's in my HDS line up, but only on a limited basis. I use them in my 4000K Executive, which is more or less dedicated to use around the house. With my EDC lights, I find that I end up changing batteries too often, which is undesirable for me. I considered an 18650 battery tube, but the CR123's provide adequate run time in a superb form factor.

I ran a 18650 rotary raised for months, the 18650 just lasts forever(compared to 5-600mah 16340 cells). But the form just never sits right on my eyes, too long and although more to grab, the 16340 form factor is far more me. Just feels better, looks in proportion. If i used max more and for longer duration's, then yes 18650 is the way regardless or my gripes. But for me(and my eyes) the 16340 body is the mutts nuts.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran a 18650 rotary raised for months, the 18650 just lasts forever(compared to 5-600mah 16340 cells). But the form just never sits right on my eyes, too long and although more to grab, the 16340 form factor is far more me. Just feels better, looks in proportion. If i used max more and for longer duration's, then yes 18650 is the way regardless or my gripes. But for me(and my eyes) the 16340 body is the mutts nuts.

I just started using the 18650 extended tube in my HDS High Noon Executive. The tube is a much longer form factor that I plan to use often but deliberately - when I have a need for long run times. The extra length and weight does feel fantastic and more natural in my huge hands. The shorter 16340's I will use daily for edc.

Yesterday, commissioned Dan at Thors Custom Leather to make a special downward draw holster for my 18650 High Noon Executive. Should be interesting, concealable, and easy to draw.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Enlightened
Coming back around to this thread as I try to switch over to rechargeable cells for my lights. Noticed that the Olight and Fenix 16340 cells are a little tough to come by lately on the big e-commerce site that starts with the letter "A".

However, they do carry "Rapthor" protected cells that appear to have pretty good reviews. Curious if anyone has specifically used these in their HDS?