Problems with new Stanley HID 3000

StanleyHIDProblems

Newly Enlightened
I just got my Stanley HID 3000 from Amazon, and I'm having a bit of problems with it. They said it comes partially charged, but would need to be charged fully before heavy use. So, just to test it and see if it worked at all, I pulled the trigger. The HID bulb flickers, then turns off. I figure it's just a dead battery. When I plug it into the wall, the LED light on the back of the light is supposed to blink red for really dead battery, orange for partially dead batter and solid green for a full charge. I don't get any color but green. So far it's been plugged in for about an hour, and nothing has changed.

The user manual also said that it will run at full power off of the 12v car adapter even with a dead battery. So I took it out to my car, plugged it in, and it did the exact same thing. Flickered for a second then turned off. So what gives? Is the batter just dead and the LED is lying to me? Or is the bulb bad? Or maybe something else is wrong. I'm not sure. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
there were quite a few reports of amazon supplied Stanleys that has bad ballasts, and thats what they did, flickered for a second and then nothing. not say'n this is the exact issue, but has been reported. could be a bad bulb/connection however. bulbs for the stanley are fairly cheap and easy to replace, i swapped out my 6000K for a 4300K a few months back with no issues. i'd say try a new bulb and if that doesn't cut it, return it.... or better yet, return it now and get one that works.
there are also quite a few that had bad SLAs due to long shelf lives that sulfide'd the batts, but those would operate just fine with the ext jack.

BVH

Flashaholic
The symptom sounds like the ballasts' "striking" circuit is working fine but the "boost/run" circuit is failing. I'm with Fritz, probably best to return it.