Production CREE XR-E Testing

paxxus

Enlightened
I want an XR-E based high-end torch so badly it's not even funny. Gimme, gimme!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would like is to have retrofit kits for popular and custom lights, like HDS's McGizmo's, Bulk's.

I am currently searching for a way to put one of this babies on a LH to have variable output, anyone have the physical dimensions of the CREE star? Is it the same size as the lumileds star?

Why the hell did CREE come up with a stupid 75 degree angle? cant they see that almost all the current optics and reflectors are based on the radial pattern? That seems DUMB!!! bigtime, again there is no standarization, VHS vs Beta dilemma.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cree looks so promising. I too thank you Newbie for the information! I bet this would be a great lightsource in a Gladius, my Minimag LED, and I'd love to see one retrofitted to my KL5 head. Hell, I bet this will be the LED to have in '07.

*Retired*
Chronos said:
The cree looks so promising. I too thank you Newbie for the information! I bet this would be a great lightsource in a Gladius, my Minimag LED, and I'd love to see one retrofitted to my KL5 head. Hell, I bet this will be the LED to have in '07.

LOL!

It is the LED to have for 2006.

Next year will bring further improvements, trust me.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,NewBie and others.
Thanks for all your hard work in bringing all this info to the membership.
Much appreciated. Thank you.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance someone could do a comparison between a Lux III, V and XR-E using the same type reflector, preferably a 17 or 18mm? I'm curious how the beams compare.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Just wow. Sorry if my questioning is repititous, but I'm just dyin' for answers to some questions:

Where do we get them? How much are they?

Possibility of mounting one in a U2? Whats the U2s' current draw on high anyway?

Putting one in a MagLED - someone has GOT to try this. I would if I could get a hold of one!

There seems to be a HUGE spread as far as the output numbers, 74-100. Is it possible to know what a particular emitter puts out?

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
There seems to be a HUGE spread as far as the output numbers, 74-100. Is it possible to know what a particular emitter puts out?

This spread represents a big improvement over the 3 watt Luxion which has a range from 60 to 249.6 Note that the higher bins have equal or greater spread over a single bin.
U.....87.4....113.6 = 26.2
V...113.6....147.7 = 34.1
W..147.7....192.0 = 44.3
X...192.0....249.6 = 57.6

*Retired*
D@rk Messenger said:
you guys created my almost notorious habit of almost buying lights and hearing about the newest latest and greatest stuff:ohgeez:.

LOL!

Thats better than buying the latest high end flashlight, then the next day, before it arrives, having something killer, like the CREE XR-E hit the streets...

:drool:

*Retired*
Many folks have talked about how utterly ice cold the CREE looks, or how it is blue.

This is usually due to a monitor that is not calibrated, or a camera that was not white balanced "correctly".

To give folks an idea, here is my A19 CREE XR-E measurements. If you look at the block labeled T, you will see that it measured 6402, which works out to 6402K:

creea19.png

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did sone efficiency calculations using Newbie's graphs from post 1:
mA ------- 20 ---- 80 ----- 350 ----- 700 --- 825
Volt ----- 2.7 --- 2.84 --- 3.1 ------ 3.27 --- 3.32
Watt ---- .054 - .2272 -- 1.085 -- 2.289 -- 2.739
Lumens - 6 ----- 23 ------ 80 ------ 134 ---- 152
Lm/W --- 111 -- 101 ----- 74 ------- 59 ----- 55

I picked mA based on the more common LED drive currents.
20mA >>5mm LEDs.
80mA >>my guess for Peak Pacific Baltic Fenix E1 L0P-SE default.
350mA >> Lux 1 nominal.
700mA >> Lux III nominal.
825mA >> The 1st production light from the Shoppe.

I do not have a working copy of Excel. Maybe someone with a copy can get the raw data off Newbie and plot a nice graph.

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie, I wouldn't mind a copy of the raw data I'd need for lumens/watt efficiency testing. Any chance I could snag a copy of your raw data? PM if so... if not, no biggie! Just wanted to ask. :)

davidefromitaly

Enlightened
NewBie said:
Many folks have talked about how utterly ice cold the CREE looks, or how it is blue.

This is usually due to a monitor that is not calibrated, or a camera that was not white balanced "correctly".

To give folks an idea, here is my A19 CREE XR-E measurements. If you look at the block labeled T, you will see that it measured 6402, which works out to 6402K:

x:0.3136 and y:0.3378 mean a WF bin, if you is sure that yours are WC bin this mean that with overdrive the tint shift (just for comparison WF is like lumileds X1)

Last edited: