QC issue with ZebraLight - now settled!

davecroft

Enlightened
Re: Disappointed with the QC of ZebraLight SC50+

I think it's a big disappointment when you get a light like that - especially after the anticipation of ordering and waiting for delivery. I had the same issues with a 4Sevens and it has put me off them for the time being - although I will give them another try eventually.
Slightly OT, but I have often wondered, if you return a light like this with 'cosmetic' defects, do some unscrupulous retailers just stick it back on the shelf and send it to the next customer, hoping they won't complain? Maybe your Zebra had been shipped out and returned previously? (Cynical I know, but my experience with some dealers makes me wonder...)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think people need to come to grips with the fact that flashlights are essentially tools. Complaining about things that don't affect the actual functionality of the flashlight makes about as much sense to me as complaining that your new hammer has some scuff marks on the head.

+1

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

LoL, so its ok when a brand new car has scratches all over but its ok because it dont affect the way it drives, its just cosmetical but works as advertised? If you think like that then any new product can have scratches and dents, it never affects the function of a product. This sounds like a bad excuse from a manufactor
New cars are a in whole different price bracket than flashlights, and you usually pay a premium for them, so this analogy doesn't really hold. I personally would put flashlights in the same category as wrenches, screwdrivers, lawnmowers, wheelbarrows, shovels, etc. where cost and value is not closely tied to cosmetics. If I buy a new rake, for instance, I could care less if the coating on the handle is uneven.

Glock27

Enlightened

Lets keep on topic here. The light in question doesn't have scratches or dents. There are blotches on the anodizing.

G27

Craig K

Enlightened

Lets keep on topic here. The light in question doesn't have scratches or dents. There are blotches on the anodizing.

G27

So it is OK to have blotches on the anodizing of your brand new flashlight?

davecroft

Enlightened

There is another side to this discussion - whether you mind the blotchy anodising or not, it gives the impression to a lot of potential buyers that the manufacturer perhaps doesn't care about his product. Some people might avoid buying a particular brand of flashlight if that is the case. I believe anything like this should be sent back (even though it is a pain to have to return something), so the manufacturer can be made aware and hopefully improve QC in future. It's in their interest if they want to be seen as a company which is interested in providing a quality product.

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened

New cars are a in whole different price bracket than flashlights, and you usually pay a premium for them, so this analogy doesn't really hold. I personally would put flashlights in the same category as wrenches, screwdrivers, lawnmowers, wheelbarrows, shovels, etc. where cost and value is not closely tied to cosmetics. If I buy a new rake, for instance, I could care less if the coating on the handle is uneven.
It has nothing to do or better said it should have nothing to do with the price of a product. Even 20 cent cigarette lighter has correct color without scratches. This light cost ?64? Dollar, you can get a cell phone for that money or a razor, would it be ok if the new cell phone had scratches too? Its also a tool, nearly every product is designed for using it, that dosnt give the manufactor the right to deliver a scratched or miss colored product, not for 64 Dollar!

A Hammer is something completely different, a hammer is a product that is designed for hitting a nail into something for example and that will leave marks, a small pocket light is not designed to get scratches and dents for the main part, some ppl will handle it with care and not together with keys, it should be nice looking for a long time when handled with care. We are talking about a small EDC light, its like a swiss army pocket knive, i wouldnt buy a scratched swiss army knive as well.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

There are two ways of looking at this:

1. The anodising is noticeably flawed on this light, and this is not good enough.
2. The light is a tool, and it works perfectly well despite the poor anodising.

Members seem to be divided in their opinions and are supporting either (1) or (2).

My own view (FWIW) is that both (1) and (2) are right. There is no need to choose one point of view when you can agree with both!

The manufacturer (ZL) is well represented here, and I'm sure will have noticed this thread.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

"My own view (FWIW) is that both (1) and (2) are right."

I agree. And I'm pretty sure that this actually could have been handled to the OP's satisfaction without starting a thread here (though it actually turned into a good discussion).

I have no doubt that Zebralight will gladly make this right. :thumbsup:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait until it starts turning on in his pocket and running the battery dead, or heating up his leg.
I've been assured by fanbois that these and other flaws are "features" and not "defects.

Streamer

Enlightened

I think it is WRONG to receive a brand new light with anodizing POX.

Zebralight should take it back in a heartbeat and replace with pristine new light.

Then , they should offer it as a discounted BLEM....OR re-anodize it , if that's possible.

what's wrong with that ???

hazna

Enlightened

I think it is WRONG to receive a brand new light with anodizing POX.

Zebralight should take it back in a heartbeat and replace with pristine new light.

Then , they should offer it as a discounted BLEM....OR re-anodize it , if that's possible.

what's wrong with that ???

+1

To flashlaholics $60+ doesn't seem like a lot of money. But to the general public $60 is a lot of money to spend on a flashlight. At that price point I would not expect no obvious blemishes shown in the OP. If it were advertised as having blemishes and sold at a discounted price, that would be a different story.

IMO zebralight should pay for the return postage as well.

Glock27

Enlightened

To flashlaholics $60+ doesn't seem like a lot of money. But to the general public $60 is a lot of money to spend on a flashlight. At that price point I would not expect no obvious blemishes shown in the OP. If it were advertised as having blemishes and sold at a discounted price, that would be a different story.
IMO zebralight should pay for the return postage as well.

You inflated the price...The SC50s were discounted to $49. Shipping included. The OP didn't state either where he purchased the light or where it was shipped from.

G27

mnirun

Newly Enlightened

Yesterday, I've got a reply from ZebraLight

Sorry about your SC50+. I just got the response from the people in China about the shipping of your order (since this SC50+ is a closeout item), somehow this last one is defective but got slipped into inventory which is not supposed to be happen. What I can do here is either refund you $20 or exhange your SC50+ with an SC51 (the SC50+ are all gone). Let me know which way you prefer.
Again, I want to apologize for the defective SC50+.

Sincerely,

Lillian Xu
ZebraLight, Inc.
8320 Sterling Street
Irving, TX 75063
I've purchased it directly from ZebraLight website. Yes, it discounted to 49$ but shipping is not included.

For me, I trusted with the quality of ZebraLight but saw what I've got.

I decided to keep it because I don't want to pay more for the return postage and SC50+ is work great as it should be. Only cosmetic (QC) isn't acceptable especially my 1st ZebraLight. And another reason is I chose SC50+ over SC51 is not because it discounted, money it not the main point if I really like it, main point is I don't want noticeable PWM on SC51.

Thank you for ZebraLight CS, and all CPF comments :thanks:.

Hope my next light not become like this.

Glock27

Enlightened

I'm glad you got it worked out mnirun! An SC50 for $29 is a great deal. ZebraLights sure don't have a reputation for splotchy anodizing.
If you order from their site again in the future, you might make a note to please check the light closely as the cost for you to ship it back would be prohibitive.

G27

mrlysle

Enlightened

I agree that a "new" light should look new, and as perfect as the hundreds of others that look new when recieved. It's not right to just "accept" a product that doesn't meet the same standards as the hundreds of others that are made and shipped out daily. I have many lights, like we all do here costing anywhere from 30 couple bucks, to hundreds of dollars. With the one exception, I bought them all "new", and expected them to look good when I recieved them. I agree with the car analogy even though a car cost thousands of dollars more, you expect it to look like the "standard" from that manufacturer when you get it, and when it doesn't meet that standard, you have the right for some concern. The op's light slipped through QC. It happens with anything. But I feel that ZL is a great company who cares about their customers, and will make mnirun's issue right. He does have a legitiment concern, and every right to get one with perfect ano. Even "tools" should be purchased in good condition, and the owner can put forth whatever effort he/she seems necessary to keep them in good condition, but it should at least "start out" in good condtion.

choombak

Enlightened

+1 to Zebralight for offering a refund of $20. All reputed manufacturers do a similar thing, if they cannot offer an exact replacement. Since the functionality is not affected in any way, I think this is a win-win situation for both.

Meanwhile, if this is your first Zebra, ensure you unscrew the tailcap a mm or two, so the light does not turn on in your pocket.

Enjoy your Zebra, it is a fantastic little light. I daily carry my SC50w, and am very happy with its performance. :thumbsup:

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened

And another reason is I chose SC50+ over SC51 is not because it discounted, money it not the main point if I really like it, main point is I don't want noticeable PWM on SC51.
Sounds like you already made your decision and hopefully that will work out for you. Just wanted to say I got my first ZL last week, an H51W - should be the same circuitry as an SC51 and I don't know if they have changed anything recently but I can not see PWM in any use I've done so far. I'm normally susceptible to PWM and also things like 60Hz crt's would drive me nuts. The only way I can see the PWM on mine is if I stand in front of a mirror and wave my hand very fast. But in actual usage even turning my head fast I have yet to detect it at all.

But perhaps I'm not as sensitive as I thought, or a lot of you have super hero vision. :grin2:

Craig K

Enlightened

Well done to Zebralight for offering to exchange the light or to give a discount, Zebralight really do sound like a good company with a good product.