question about the law

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
What, you don't sleep with your guns and SF lights in bed with you??? Are you nuts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sound advice though, know your target before pulling the trigger! Property is one thing, but you and your family's safety is another. Different situations to be handled differently. I'll probably know if someone is in my house with bad intentions since more likely than not they'll set off the alarm in the process of getting in (one would hope).

Tomas

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
I stronly believe that a man's home is his castle. What kind of king are you?
oldgrandpajack

[/ QUOTE ]

... one who has the number for Coit Carpet Cleaning posted next to the phone in case I need the carpet near the entry cleaned ...

----

If in my home and challenged by the resident 'King' you have three choices: 1) Cease all movement then follow instructions exactly, 2) Run like Hell away from the 'King,' or 3) Advance toward the S&W 9mm being aimed at you.

The first two are reasonable responses and will likely be survived without physical injury.

The third, however, is a direct threat to my physical wellbeing, and will be met with whatever level of force is required to make you stop moving in my direction.

Being handicapped puts me at a disadvantage in a physical conflict with just about anyone. The only advantage I might have in a confrontation is a firearm.

Should you be armed, ANY response other than the first two are a serious mistake (actually, entering my home armed and without invitation is your first serious mistake), and even one of the first two responses will NOT guarantee your safety - the 'King' gets very nervous facing armed opposition and is likely to react very negatively as shown by past action ...

Take care, and stay away ...
T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I am disabled too. There is no way I could physically defend myself. I keep all the ammo locked up in the basement. Not one loaded gun in my home. I have no enemies in this world. There is no reason to fear for my life. If someone breaks in my home to support their drug habit, I'll call 911. Might not be until after they leave, but I don't care. That person's life is more precious than everything I own. Should that person be arrested and prosecuted? Yes! Will they be arrested and prosecuted? I don't know. Will I be able to sleep at night? Yes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
oldgrandpajack

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well my dog doesa good job so far.hugs snoop we dont even nclose back door no one will want to confront him and he is in back yard. see i live 1 block away from projects its bad here.snoop is not a inside dog at all lol. way to hyper.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
I have a large male cat. Zorro is almost 19 months old. Think he would wake me. When he stands up at the kitchen counter, his nose is about an inch (25.4mm) from the top. He is black and mean. Mad about my getting him fixed a few months ago. I call him my little panther. I had just finished changing his litter, food and water in the garage a few days ago. I was verbally checking off each item to myself and the cat. I added at the end that if he had a little ***** he'd be all set. Well, he instantly charged me and bit my leg. It's almost as if he understood my joke and didn't appreciate it, my having him fixed and all. Anyway, he's always waking me up at night, for one reason or another. He likes the toilet water cold, flush it now please (3:00 AM). He can see the bottom of his food dish, fill it now (4:00 AM). I want to be brushed, NOW (anytime)! He wakes me by running over me repeatedly. If I close the door he howls and whines. If I'm lucky, the thief will take the cat! If the thief is unlucky, he will take the cat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
oldgrandpajack

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope most of the gun folks here know about Tony Martin, a farmer located in Norfolk, England.
He was a man that had been burglarized many times and had had enough of being victimized.
Two career thugs broke into his house in 1999. He used his shotgun to kill one of his attackers and wound the other.
Mr. Martin was given a life sentence for using a firearm in an illegal manner. His sentence was later reduced to five years.
Earlier this year, he came up for parole and was denied for, get this, being a danger to "burglars".
He was released this past July.

This gets worse.
The Perp that was shot got out of jail three days before Mr. Martin.
The Perp is also suing Mr. Martin for damages while "on the job", that is, breaking into Mr. Martins home.
How weird is that?

ewick

Enlightened
While I agree that a person should be able to defend themselves in their own home, similar action taken by a U.S. citizen would result in a similar reaction by the U.S. Government.

Here's what I mean (if any of the following statements are false, please correct me):

1. Tony Martin had his shotgun ownership priveledges revoked for firing upon a vehicle in a previous, unrelated incident.

2. Tony Martin continued to maintain an illegal shotgun in his home after ownership priveledges were revoked.

3. Tony Martin used this illegal shotgun to fire upon burglers in his home.

4. Tony Martin fired upon the burglers as they fled, killing one with a shot to the back.

5. Tony Martin went to prison.

See the pattern? Same applies here in the U.S. Ex-felon with a gun shoots fleeing individual in the back, killing him. We Americans would go to jail too.

doubleganger

Enlightened
A couple of comments and a question:

It is my understanding that more and more criminals, possibly because they don't want to leave witnesses, are more likely to kill the victim and thus the old advice of give them whatever they want is not as valid as it may have been.

I found this:
"Kleck found that victims who resist with a gun are less likely to be attacked, injured, or suffer property losses, than those who use any other means of self-protection, or who do not resist an attack - even when confronted by an attacker armed with a gun. Furthermore, Kleck concluded from existing data that armed defenders lose their guns to an attacker less than 1% of the time."
here: http://www.clede.com/Articles/oped/packing.htm

Don't **** your revolver if you are checking out a noise in your house. It makes it just darned easy to fire the gun accidentally.

Seeing as how a shot person can still KILL you I've frequently seen the advise to keep shooting till the threat falls down or you run out of bullets.

Question:
I really should know this but I'm wondering if it is legal to point/display/brandish a firearm to try and convince the person who is stealing your stuff stop and go away?

Then if he tries to attack you.......
I read years ago that if you are in legal possession of a firearm and someone meaning you harm tries to take it away from you you are always justified in shooting.

Oh yeah, life member of both NRA and GOA. The NRA is just too liberal.

Tomas

Banned
Yes, a wounded attacker can still cause harm, and it is up to you as to how that should be handled.

I've always been trained not to point/display/brandish a firearm unless I've already decided using it was a very high possibility. If it's not legit to shoot 'em, don't threaten 'em.

(I've also been told that if it is legit to shoot 'em just get it over with - draw and fire - no 'waving it around.')

The only civilian shooting in my family was when my wife dropped an attacker just outside her office as she was leaving work one evening.

For her it worked OK to put just one .380 cal fragmentation round (1350FPS Glaser blue) into his inner thigh. He quite nicely let go of her and remained squirming on the ground until the police got there in response to the "shots fired" call. Oh, yeah, the screaming perp was out on bail at the time, pending yet another rape/sexual assault trial.

The building entry guard covered her quite well and got her back inside quickly, but the actual incident happened too fast for him to respond.

T_sig6.gif

P.S. According to Connie, even though she nailed him in the inner thigh she felt that she had 'missed what she was aiming at.' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
Tomas,

Even at close range, small targets are still difficult to hit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
Weeeelllll, i believe in NC its ok to blast a person in your own home if they are not suppoased to be there.
since i have a Anti-gun mom and a dad that doesnt like to argue so just agrees with her i have noone to purchase bullets even tho i can legally own a .22 magnum. Therefore I keep the Cold Steel Recon Tanto, A high velocity Airpistol[loaded] with mounted surefire turbo , A high velocity Airrifle [loaded] with mounted surefire turbo , a Streamlight US , A G2z and a host of other bits of kit.

I hope to purchase a NAA Revolver chambered in .22magnum as soon as practicable. i know its a sissy pistol but i kinda like it.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
In my personal opinion, anyone with a weapon (lumpy, pointy, or projectile) illegally inside anyone's home is likely to get shot.

In my house, I usually look for noise-sources with the 6D light on one shoulder. The light's enough to blind them, and if they hold up a weapon, I'll gladly demonstrate it's secondary purpose. The other choice is a smaller blinding light and my Gerber Spectre in the other hand.

Tombeis

Enlightened
DieselDave:

I like your idea of setting down and discussing the matter with the perp.

At the very least, he would not drop your TV when you DO shoot him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
This question was raised over on blade forums and the general answer was to do everything possible to avoid a confrontation. call 911 and shoot them only if they are advancing on you or family members but make sure you are backed into a corner with NO escape routes. The juries look at all of your options if you do shoot someone. do all you can to avoid them. Things can be replaced lives can't.

Gandalf

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
<SNIP> I am a LIFE MEMBER of the NRA. I can shoot the middle out of a target at 25 yards in about 4 seconds with a 9mm Model 59 S&W. That's about a 3" bullseye. I reload my own ammo. Used to hunt woodchucks with a .22 revolver. I don't want to kill anyone, EVER!!!
oldgrandpajack

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I NEVER want to have to shoot anyone. That's why I keep a loaded 9mm within 2 feet of me at home at all times. My neighborhood is going downhill.... I've lived in the same neighborhood for 28 years. There are crack houses within a mile of my house. (Or closer, very likely).

In Minnesota, there are 4 requirements for shooting someone (or using 'deadly force'):

1) You must be a "reluctant participant". (IE. you didn't start the conflict, or cause it to escalate).
2)You must be reasonably in immediate fear of "death or great bodily harm".
3)No lesser force will serve, making deadly force necessary.
4) Retreating is not practical (Open your front door and run away... yeah, right. I have a bit of trouble with that one. Then what? Wait for them to catch up to you?).

No, I don't want to shoot anyone, either. Unless I have absolutely no choice.

When I first got my carry permit, many years ago, the officer told me two things: If you shoot anyone, make sure they are dead. An ex-con in a wheelchair gets a lot more sympathy from a jury than a dead ex-con. And: make *damn* sure he is armed, if only with one of my knives. (And he told me *never* to repeat what he had told me; I'm afraid I didn't follow that piece of advice).

That being said, my first centerfire handgun was a S&W Model 59 9mm. I cast my own slugs for it. One at a time, and later, two at a time; over charcoal, sized and lubed them, and reloaded for it. I used to shoot 700 rounds a week. I didn't know that a S&W Model 59 wasn't designed to stand up to over 30,000 rounds, with the original recoils spring, no less.

I'm still a pretty fair shooter, and I still favor the 9mm, as so many neat pistols, large and small, are chambered for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif