Questions for Inova XO owners?

DrAg0n

Banned
i took my XO along to Thailand to test it out in the field... quite good when making a sweep search on the ground at night, however, i 'accidently' blinded a few of my mates while using it 'normally' while searching for stuff, and they got pissed and asked me to turn it off....

Now im waiting for a a T3....cant wait.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NorthernStar said:
Does it realy have the capability of creating a light beam as long as 200 feet as the Inova website claims?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Xo is a great light.

I took mine up to the top of Fremont Peak a couple of weeks ago. It was new moon, and there was a cloud bank at about 1400' elevation that blocked virtually all of the city lights below, so it was extremely dark. Under those conditions, the Xo seemed just insanely bright. Would it light something up 200' away, well - that depends.

Having used it for a bit now, I'd say 200' is the probably about the limit of what it can do. If you are trying to illuminate a reflector, 200' is no problem at all, even in city lights. A light colored object will show up pretty well at 150'-200'. Anything dark - forget about it. So if you need to see what's making noise up in that tree more than 75' away or so, you are not going to be happy, unless you get lucky and catch it's eyes in the light. (I found this to be true even on Fremont peak, which was about the darkest conditions I've ever been in.)

If you really need to light up stuff that's farther away, the Xo3 is a lot better. (I've got one of those too.) It seems to me to be about as bright as my Pelican M6 Xenon bulb light, but it has much better batter life. (I like the M6, but the runtime is just too short for me.)

Still, I bet you'll be very, very pleased with your Xo - I sure am. It's a terrific general purpose light, in my opinion.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
357:
I also rate the XO at 4 of 5 possible. I was jogging this night(it´s night here now) in the forrest without no other lights at all,and the XO was stuning good. Better than i have expected. It´s not made for running,but i just had to test it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifI went out on a field and tested the XO,and it lighted far. I am sure it went 200 feet,but it depends a little bit of how one meassure the range. If one tries to lite up a road sign it will probably light further than 200 feet,but for using it in the dark forrest,the range is a little less. However,the performance is great. It suits my needs perfectly.Improvements:I would like the XO to be smaller,more like a X5,and i would like to see a constant on/off "click" control button

I am sure that the XO3 or the T3 will be brighter,but they seams to have to short burntime for me. I realy needs a flashlight that will burn for more than just 2 hours.One drawback that dissapointed me was that the original 123 lithium batteries was poor. They just burned for about one hour. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gifThe Energizer 123 lithium batteries that i put in the XO now was brand new,and the difference is noticeable. The original batteries that came with the XO was a pair of Duracell,which is a good brand and should be of good quality.

Has anyone received an Inova flashlight with poor original batteries?

Northern Star

Catman10

Enlightened
Mike2004, have you tried them outside at night, yet? If the T3 is like my X03, then the issue might simply be that the T3 has a much tighter beam. There is a big difference between my X0 and my X03.

suppin

Newly Enlightened
I think the XO3 and the T3 are basically the same light. The only difference is that the T3's body has knurling and has a clickie. They're both going for the same price and have the same specs I think.

DanM

Newly Enlightened
The XO3 I have seems to have as tight a beam as my XO. when I first got my XO3 I also thought it was no brighter than the XO. Taking them both out to the gun range and lighting up targets the power of the XO3 can been seen. At longer ranges the XO3 really lights up the targets over the XO.

I think is is the lack of side spill that makes the XO3 only seem as bright as the XO at first.
For everyday use the XO is a great light, with the XO3 being used if you want to light objects beyond 200 feet. I also find the XO3 to be more useful than my E2E or my L4 when walking at night, due to its long run time and longer throw. For the money its hard to beat the XO for all round use.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the comparison. I'm very happy with my XO-3 but I want an XO, too. With the XO's tight beam and long runtime it looks like a great light.

I wonder if there will ever be HA-III contract version(s) of the XO for the military? Those MIL versions are irresistible to me. It seems like a natural for this light.

Catman10

Enlightened
I agree, DanM. Excep my X03 was noticably brighter inside as well. I really can't believe the range it has for an LED. I really like it.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
catman10 said:
Mike2004, have you tried them outside at night, yet? If the T3 is like my X03, then the issue might simply be that the T3 has a much tighter beam. There is a big difference between my X0 and my X03.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have tried it in the dark, outside. There is not THAT much of difference for me to warrant paying twice the price of the XO.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
NorthernStar said:
Sub Umbra,
what is a HA-III contract version of the Inova XO? What does the HA-III stands for?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ot]
HA-III stands for 'Hard anodize type 3'. It is the toughest anodizing process for aluminum. The 'HA-III natural' (like the standard ARCs) is supposed to be the toughest of all anos. I also really like the way it looks.

There isn't a MIL contract version of the XO yet that I know of, but bazilions on INOVA X5Ts have been made under contract for the military. I was actually alluding to the INOVA X5THA from Country Comm. This is a 'sterile' version (no lettering AT ALL) of the X5T with no exposed stainless steel (to reduce reflections) and more threading on the tail switch for added security.

There have been so many MIL contract INOVAs produced that half of me wants to hold out for a possible MIL SPEC version of the XO, should one ever be made. The other half of me wants an XO w/green LED. (Actually, I want both.)

I love MIL versions of consumer lights. I like the different anodizing on these lights. You have to look around for them but they don't cost any more and IMO they seem like better lights.

If you like the INOVA X5T, check out the X5THA.
If you like the CMG/GERBER Infinity Ultra, check out the Ultra-G
If you like the CMG Sonic, check out the Sonic-G.
There are more than these, if you get hooked on MIL versions.

I've got it pretty bad for MIL versions of consumer lights.
[/ot]

Aloft

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:

If you like the CMG Sonic, check out the Sonic-G. . .

[/ot]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sub_Umbra. . . I wasn't aware that there was a milspec version of the Sonic. Where can I find it?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra. . . I wasn't aware that there was a milspec version of the Sonic. Where can I find it?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one on This Page. Broadarrow is the only place I've seen them. It is now a little pricey for a Sonic, but hey, it was a limited contract run from a company that doesn't exist anymore. Mine is a deep green HA-III and is very distinctive looking. Of course, it says, "US Government". I never liked the ergonomics of the Sonic much, but I had to have the 'G'. It is a pet for the hands.

For a relativley low price, it seems to be a somewhat rare light, but then all of the MIL versions are rare when compared to their civilian counterparts. Gerber has dropped the old Infinity from their line and I haven't heard anything about their plans for the Sonic. Who knows?

I read somewhere that the Sonic-Gs were made for some elite military unit and were also issued to some FBI agents -- go figure.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every time I use my Inova T1, I think to myself, "This is what the X0 should have been in the first place." For everyday use, the T1 is great and comfortably pocketable with the same output and beamtype as the X0. It runs about half as long, but also uses only 1 CR123 cell. I much prefer the knurling on the T1 to the smoother surface on the X0. I'm anxious to try a T3. It would be great to have a T1 type beam with more light output.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mike2004 said:
Yes, I have tried it in the dark, outside. There is not THAT much of difference for me to warrant paying twice the price of the XO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got an Xo and an Xo3 that I carry with me when I'm walking at night. I'm really surprised you feel that way. I was out walking in the woods last night, and the difference between the two lights is pretty remarkable. To me, it was worth the price of the Xo3 to be able to answer the question "Hey, what the heck is that up ahead making noise?" The answer was "armadillo" and not "Bobcat" or "Coyote."

I also follow trails of reflectors sometimes, and the Xo3 is much better for that. The Xo is a great general purpose flashlight though. I find I use it more often than the Xo3, because there's just lots of times when I don't need quite that much light.

Maybe your T3 is defective? Or is it just price / performance that bothers you?

Latest posts