"R" bin luxIII beats "U" bin flat out in brightness.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pitbull & Planterz: both are LuxIII's, both on o-sinks. Actually lux1's can be driven at 700ma before increase in power doesn't get you much extra light. The luxIII advantage is when you go to higher currents than 700ma. We were doing this before the luxIII came out and then compared them.

GarageBoy: You wire them in parallel. So connect both grounds, both postive in's, both led +, and both led -. Reason I did this is my input voltage was too low to have a single driver boost the full ~1000ma by itself. So by using two drivers, the load on them is reduced and they can run in regulation. Click here to read about the cyan mod.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Actually lux1's can be driven at 700ma before increase in power doesn't get you much extra light.

The real question is that is the 'R' rating based on a 350ma input?

Jeff

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
Yes that's right. I compared both my Cyan and my white U-bin lights. Both regulated. The cyan measured at ~970ma (dual bb500's) and the white measured at ~930ma (wizard2 917ma) at the leds. My personal cyan has a flux of R bin, but the white is a flux of U(X1J).

The Cyan walks ALL OVER the white. This is outside, at night, with the lights on, with the lights off, it doesn't matter. The cyan totally imposes it's self over the white beam. I have a ~60lumen lux1 r/o on low alkalines so it's probably not up to snuff at the moment, and the white walks over it...

Doing a ceiling bounce test the outcome is the same. The Cyan seems 2x or maybe even 2.5 times brighter. You can have both on, then turn one on/off, notice the change, then do the same to the other, and notice less change.

All lights are using the mag C/D reflector BTW.

Is it really just your eyes more sensitive to this color? This is a real cyan colored not a greenie. I've noticed royal blue as being redicolously bright like this as well...(eyes aren't supposed to be that sensitive to it) Or is the stuff they use to measure white/colored light not as acurrate for one or the other??

Pretty amazing the cyan 2C light I have, but puts my nice white light to shame!!
This is a new one on me, I've never seen this color (cyan) in use anywhere. How do other colors appear under cyan? And is this some sort of drop in module?

chiphead...surviving the urban enviroment.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
pitbull, my cyan luxIII was binned "R" from the factory at 700ma. The white was binned U at 700ma. Now when speaking about luxI, a R bin luxI (at 350ma) would put out about T bin brightness at 700ma.

Chiphead: for being one color you can actually make out a lot of colors the long your eyes get used to it. You can actually make out reds/blues/etc because it tends to make some colors clow too, like orange plastic/etc. It's a very creepy/cool/errie color. Very bright to the eyes. No drop in module. See my last post with a link on how I built it. It's very custom!!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh. For some reason. I was under the false impression that the cyan was a Lux-I.

My mistake. :)

Jeff

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
IsaacHayes said:
pitbull, my cyan luxIII was binned "R" from the factory at 700ma. The white was binned U at 700ma. Now when speaking about luxI, a R bin luxI (at 350ma) would put out about T bin brightness at 700ma.

Chiphead: for being one color you can actually make out a lot of colors the long your eyes get used to it. You can actually make out reds/blues/etc because it tends to make some colors clow too, like orange plastic/etc. It's a very creepy/cool/errie color. Very bright to the eyes. No drop in module. See my last post with a link on how I built it. It's very custom!!
Wow!

chiphead

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Given that White luxeon is made from base blue luxeon with yellow phosphorous coating, why is it surprising that blue/cyan would be lot more brighter than the white one?

- Vikas

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because they measured their output and labeled them. The cyan is R @700ma, and the white is U @ 700ma... Also blue light your eyes aren't super sensitive to. Green/cyan they are though.