R2/Q5 driven off 2 AAA's

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they will light up, very dim however, kind of like a 5mm LED. Really not good unless you can find R2/Q5 with some really really low forward voltage
I'm talking DD here, I'm sure with the right boost circuit you can do it easily

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're pretty bright off 2NiMH or 2Alks.

I can't remember exactly I measured once at about 20-30mA for 2 worn alk.. At over 100lm/w for these bins at this drive level you're looking at ~10-15lm.

At 3V you're getting about 100mA for decent brightness about ~30-40lm with a R2.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
They have a good amount of output then DDed off 2.6-3v. Not a lot but enough for almost all normal uses.

clg0159

Enlightened
Decent brightness, guessing 30lm, and it lasts for a good while. I made one for a buddy to use around the house at night and he loved it. It was a Q2 DD of 2aaa alks.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any R2 Q5, but I have a DD Q5 WC I put 2x Duracell precharged AAs behind the other night and to me it was very disappointing. My 3aa stock mini mag led blew it away. The DD output from the same emitter was reasonable with 2 alkaline C cells but still not blinding.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The extra voltage from the battery lets the Luxeon III be brighter then the Cree. The 3AA minimagLED is pretty bright for what it is. A much more efficient LED is still dimmer then a previous gen LED if the previous gen LED is driven well and the current gen LED is driven very low. But you already known this.

Also remember that rechargeables start at a lower voltage then alkaline batteries. A small change in voltage means a pretty big change in current, so the voltage difference also gives the LED more current from 2C alkaline batteries.

clg0159

Enlightened
As I think everyone is echoing you should just not expect impressive output, but it is certainly ample for up close work and I think you will actually appreciate the output from such a source.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

What I am thinking is this dive light from DX
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5725

My guess is that it is a simple twist on/off light with a single O ring.
Such a light should be capable of depths below its 10m rating. In fact its probably more limited to its crush depth and being so small and cylindrical I would say thats deep enough for what I want.
Anyway for the price Im going to get one and take it on a deep dive and see what happens. If its all good then I will look at modding it to a LED.
Id prefer to keep to primarys and drive it low to keep the heat down as with no exposed metal its not going to get good cooling.

Any estimates of burn time from alkaline AAA's?

Oh, would there be a better LED to use?

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think this will make a good host,it will have to be underdriven so heat is not an issue (even under water) and in a dive light underdriven is not a good thing because it's all about the lumens

MWClint

Enlightened
with a 2AA direct drive led host, you can also use a 14500 lithium and a dummy cell.

for specific output you can build the dummy cell with an integrated resistor.

make a few dummy cells with different resistor values for varied brightness.

i do this with a 2AA DD Peak Rainier ssc p4 and it works well.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
with a 2AA direct drive led host, you can also use a 14500 lithium and a dummy cell.
Yeah but it takes AAA and I was more interested in it using readily available primarys. are there AAA sizeds li ion cells?

Huge lumen output is not the goal. I already have a 1000lumen lights and a few 200+ lumen lights.

MWClint

Enlightened
Yeah but it takes AAA and I was more interested in it using readily available primarys. are there AAA sizeds li ion cells?

Huge lumen output is not the goal. I already have a 1000lumen lights and a few 200+ lumen lights.

for AAA, there's a 10440 size, they are 350mah and unprotected.