RARE MAGLITES

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious to see what it goes for. It's listed at $50 but I'm not sure it will get any bids. I just bought a lot of lights last month so I don't think I'm going for it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Did anyone else see this "Bernie Madoff" 2D on the bay? The price of entry is high and I'm not a big collector of the laser etched lights because there are so so many but this one has an interesting story. Anyone else bidding?

rHC52Cj.jpg

I just never understood the fascination with products associated with absolute scumbags. The place I work at, he had one of his other offices there. Convinced the building owner to invest with him. To this day, we still have issues. Something breaks down, expect it to be months before it gets repaired. Even if it's something important. The freight elevator has been down for about a month now. And honestly, my job would be easier if over half of the security cameras were actually functioning. Which has not been the case since I joined up years ago.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just never understood the fascination with products associated with absolute scumbags.

Same reason somebody probably bought Hitlers pencil box or Jeffery Dahmers toothbrush or Jesse James' boots.
Got me, but folks do buy that stuff.

Hell, I can't stand the press but I did buy a San Fransico Chronicle minimag.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Same reason somebody probably bought Hitlers pencil box or Jeffery Dahmers toothbrush or Jesse James' boots.
Got me, but folks do buy that stuff.

Hell, I can't stand the press but I did buy a San Fransico Chronicle minimag.

Good point. Though you rarely see that the other way around. No one would toss a good chunk of money for say, Gandhi's glasses or the cup he drank out of most days.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting topic!

I am normally in total agreement. I think it's disgusting that people would want to own the mundane, personal possessions of terrible people. It's strikes me as some sort of odd fixation with them. However, Bernie Madoff didn't own this Maglite, or at least it doesn't appear that way. It was likely special ordered by his firm and given away as a promotional item. I kind of see that as a part of history, something that was meant to be distributed. I probably won't bid on it not because I disagree with it but because it's not something I'm really interested in.

I have several 9/11 items and my great uncle was in Berlin during the fall of Berlin and brought some very interesting stuff over to the US after the war. Both are very dark but important parts of history so I don't see any harm in owning and displaying them. I collect a lot of things form positive parts of history too, I'm mainly just a hoarder I guess.

As an aside, did anyone see the Pawn Stars episode where someone came in trying to sell Bernie Madoff's Rolex? Rick didn't buy it and it wasn't a very desirable model anyway.

Last edited:

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
I didn't know who he was had to do a goggle search to find out. 150 years jail guess he will be dead before he gets released.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
HBO did a really good 2 part special called Madoff. It's a dramatization but from what I hear was pretty accurate. Basically though he's probably the biggest thief of all time. Even worse is he stole from old ladies and religious charities.

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
Recently I got this 2 c cell gold no letter serial,I think we may have had one of these shown before anyway thought I would share.
43A1BDD2-8C30-4FB9-87C9-9AA82C822219_zps1dbot3dw.jpeg
7BF87C05-F52A-4916-B405-9A31BB80EF72_zpsey5wmth2.jpeg
CE50A8B8-1074-46E2-ACC5-C94A08A8E060_zpsy3yddfsy.jpeg

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, very nice!! That's newer than the one I have. Mine is a stamped bezel 1989 model. Where did ya get it from?

It seems like Mag produced a few gold ones just here and there. Most seem to be random. I'd love to know the reason behind them. The 2D I just fixed up was supposedly done for when the new, revised Mags came out in 1992 and based on serial # it appears to be one of the first Panther lights. I'd say yours is the same but it has the R Panther Bezel which is going to be 96 to 02.

Crumbly

Newly Enlightened
I got it from a lady in Grafton NSW she called it a "gold torch" I snapped it up as you don't see them very often. I really don't know much about it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... As an aside, did anyone see the Pawn Stars episode where someone came in trying to sell Bernie Madoff's Rolex? Rick didn't buy it and it wasn't a very desirable model anyway.

I do remember that episode of Pawn Stars. I also recall a follow-up in which the guy ended up putting the watch up for sale at auction.... and unfortunately made a killing on it! Significantly more money than he was offered on the show. Even a not-too-popular Rolex is going to interest enough buyers simply due to being a Rolex. (Ah, the power of successful marketing.) But I'm forced to admit that had it not been his, the seller would never have gotten the premium that he did for it.

in general, how you display something matters as well. A couple of years back, I encountered a new member on a large watch forum I used to frequent. In our first exchange, he seemed very helpful and knowledgeable. I was looking forward to seeing more of his posts. He didn't last long. Our second exchange was not as pleasant. He had acquired a new watch, paid several thousands of dollars for it. Was showing it off in pictures. Had no clue why so many members were disgusted by it. And he didn't like it when I explained to him why. The case was made from metal recovered from the wreck of the Titanic.

He thought it was cool. Actually it was in horribly poor taste. He was walking around, proudly showing off his new watch as though it was an exclusive status symbol. Actually it was a novelty watch that wasn't fun or funny at all. He was walking around with a piece of a mass grave from one of the biggest nautical disasters in history.... strapped to his wrist. He just didn't get it.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I'd share a couple pics I took recently.

The first is my lime green collection. I'm only missing a 3D:

EIF1zy5.jpg

The 2nd is of my 4 7Cs:

eUiw0fH.jpg

I have 2 other very neat lights I ran across from my blog that I have to post too. One I was able to purchase the other I don't think I'll be able to. :-(

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!! Here's a super rare one that someone sent me pics of through my blog. It appears that a few 2C "Remember Sarajevo" Maglites were also made for the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics. AA Mini Maglites were produced and given away in large quantities for the olympics that year and are now tough to find and very collectible. This 2C was likely made for VIPs at the events and it's the only one I have ever seen. The owner lives in Norway but didn't have too many details on it. I tried to buy it but didn't have much luck. That's the toughest part about my blog is people send me some really interesting pics of lights but I can't own them . :-( I was able to pick up a very rare 2D though which I should have this week and will post.

hBkgmCy.jpg