RCR123A 3.0V or 3.7V

loquutis79

Enlightened
Tenergy lists a 3.0 volt li-ion. This is the one I am curious about. Would that not function the same as a 3 volt primary?
Sorry if I sounded rude.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
I know people are running the 3.0v with no problems. Unprotected, you better keep an eye on the voltage drop. I believe 2.2v was the number not to drop past.

The Li-Ion should be protected if memory recalls.

Steven

Last edited:

loquutis79

Enlightened
So what I'm looking for, is there anyone out there using the EXACT battery I am thinking of. Tenergy 3.0 volt li-ion 16340. I don't want to take a chance with "maybes" and "should work" and blow up my brand new light, if you know what I mean.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like most people are steering clear of these. It's kind of a kludge-ey fix, using a 0.6v dropping diode to decrease cell voltage. That means the LiCo (3.6v nominal 4.2v peak common li-ion chemistry) cell output ranges from 3.4v fresh to 2.8v super-dead. And requires a special charger. And wastes about 1/5th of the cell's power as heat...right next to the cell. Most people shy away from heating li-ions like that.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like most people are steering clear of these. It's kind of a kludge-ey fix, using a 0.6v dropping diode to decrease cell voltage. That means the LiCo (3.6v nominal 4.2v peak common li-ion chemistry) cell output ranges from 3.4v fresh to 2.8v super-dead. And requires a special charger. And wastes about 1/5th of the cell's power as heat...right next to the cell. Most people shy away from heating li-ions like that.

I agree 100%. I have on order a light that strictly uses 3.2v or less (Aeon). It's designed specifically for primaries. If I decide to use rechargeable cells with this light, they will be LiFePO4. That's a very good and safe chemistry with excellent load handling, voltage stability, and life expectancy (number of cycles.)

In my thinking, why screw around with a hack job LiCo when you have the option of LiFePO4?

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
So I am researching the exact same topic. I was interested in trying the Tenergy 3.0v RCR123A in my new D25C, but would like something that funtions properly and will not damage the light. So are they ok to use in this light?