Re: Tubular Kevlar for lanyards where heat may be an issue.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
"vig???"

Contraction for the word "vigorish" I believe, which connotes an extortion payment.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
Hi guys,
You say NewEngland tech cord has nylon cover??? That surprixes me if it has a low stretch core. Nylon is notorious for being stretchy and not used in running riging. It is great for anchor lines and dock lines because of the stretch.
OK, OK, OK!!!

Actually I didn't have any clue and didn't think about it - I said nylon in a random generic way, sortof "some synthetic cloth type stuff". I should have been more careful.

It turns out it is actually a polyester sheath.

:)

-john

Last edited:

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
I don't think you will find that the polypropelene will hold up to abraision nearly as well as spectra. Great colors though!!
Well I was saying it would hold up better because the sheath isn't load bearing, and so you have to wear all the way through the sheath until you even start on the Spectra where it starts to affect it's strength.

Maybe this is an incorrect assumption.

-john

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I have used a bunch of Yale light in the past. Great dingy cordage! Light and floats. I have been out of the loop for a while but the Yale light of 5 years back had a polypropelene cover with spectra core. I don't think you will find that the polypropelene will hold up to abraision nearly as well as spectra. Great colors though!! It sounds like you will be doing double braid splices pretty soon
smile.gif
If I never do another, it will be OK by me. I've gotten lazy and like the quick fix you can get from splicing the single braids. You say NewEngland tech cord has nylon cover??? That surprixes me if it has a low stretch core. Nylon is notorious for being stretchy and not used in running riging. It is great for anchor lines and dock lines because of the stretch. I believe spectra has nylon beat on abrasion as well but am not positive on this. Nylon absorbs water whereas the spectra and polypropelyene don't.

- Don

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I like this so much I put another eye on the end of the 1/4 webbing just for practice. Thanks John for your offer, email is in your way. Now to just sell or get rid of some of the other stuff that i have listed in B/S/T and I should have enough money together to make lanyards for the whole family for xmas! Money is tight as always so hopefully some guys have a few extra BP mini clips to trade off.

I went to the sampson rope site and now see why Don calls his eye a "simple" one. all that marking and stuff seems a bit overdone but I guess if you want the strongest, that would be the way to go, but my small flashlights don't weigh that much!

Don, thanks for the tip on the mini coil tethers. If I can sell some of this other stuff I will try to pick one up.

My main problem is that I am credit cardless...

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bushman,
You're certainly welcome. My main problem is that I have credit cards; too many of them and as small business loan, the vig can kill you
grin.gif

- Don

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I thought the stainless gate clips were pretty cool. Well, that was until I got the Ti version.

The Ti gate clip is ultra cool. The SS version didn't seem heavy until I got the Ti one. Very light.

I have no idea what I'm going to use them for, but they are very cool!

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
I have found woven webbing in spectra
Hi Don,

All the Spectra webbing I've found appears to be Spectra / Nylon [sic] mix. Have you found a source for Spectra only webbing?

Thanks,

-john

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi John,

Bainbridge has a 1" flat web made for them that's 100% spectra. The same mill inadvertantly made a short run of 1/2" tubular spectra after a miscommunication when I was enquiring after such an animal. They had no use for this sample that they made so they gave it to me
smile.gif

Most of what I've seen is what you are finding ant it is used in climbing. I believe a couple of mills are making it now.

- Don

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

I have very little experience with lanyards in general however wear spectra fiber every night.. If I remember correct their is an expiration date on all vests made from various fibers and it varies depending on climate. My Dept. changes them out between 3 and 5 years....well they are supposed to however it rarely happens that way.

It seems I read that over time the material loses much of its resistance when exposed to wet and dry situations such as sweating and also going from hot to cold. Having said this I am not sure if the long term toughness would be any worse than a standard lanyard as I am sure almost all other materials suffer the same loss in strength over time.

This type of material is advancing at a big pace so my information may even be not applicable by now. I do like the idea of having a bullet proof lanyard however...hehe

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
High tech cords/ropes (Spectra, Technora, Kevlar, Amsteel Blue, etc.)

Source for more high tech cords:

wesspur.com

Last edited:

Edwood

Enlightened

I've experimented a bit with the Kevlar Techflex from wirecare. While's quite strong and more difficult to cut, it frays like you wouldn't believe.

It get's snagged up on just about everything.

I wrap my wires with multifilament nylon techflex, but they would still melt easily.

Teflon (PTFE) type products would be a good bet against melting. Wouldn't be very soft or flexible, though.

-Ed