Real Life Examples: Tint Matters

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
this thread has made me hungry!!!

Yeah me too! Is that Moose by any chance?

4591600f.jpg

Calvin

markr6

Flashaholic
Nice subject. I never thought about using a steak! So, about that turquoise plate you used in the first shot...just kidding. Man, I hate cool whites!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread and pics!

This is why my EDCs are HCRI and I've really been leaning towards my Nichia 219 lights over the last few months. Also why I keep a 9 volt Surefire around housing a P90 and 2x17500 cells. Can't get more HCRI than that :D

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since obtaining a pair of Nichia McGizmo lights (a haiku and a mule) I have not used many of my other lights from day to day. I only really use the others to give to other people while I use my gizmos. And I'm only talking about the tint right now.

srmd22

Newly Enlightened
I think in any application where color matters, the cooler white tint will wash out colors more then the warmer tints, every time. White balance or no, the picture accurately depicts that, although I still have no trouble telling that the steak is medium rare in either shot. One is just less colorful and therefore less attractive. But it is hard to argue that the cooler LED tints are any good for discerning color compared to incandescents and warm LED's. I think it has more to do with the evolution and physiology of the human eye then white balance.

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
I know this thread is a bit old, but I think a neutral white tint is super-important for doctors, they need to see more natural colors when checking if anything has a different color that normal (in mouth, in eyes, lips, even during surgeries ... more cool white makes tissue look more pale and that is not good. I see a lot of colleagues veterinarians using cool white head-lamps while performing surgeries, I always recommend something with more neutral tint. (e.g. Fenix HL50/55)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In terms of tints being different with different beams...yup. Spot on.

I agree tint matters. And those steak pix are a great example imho.

Now getting a camera to show us the difference is a side note. But can be important in some cases.

I use a celphone to take most of my pix.
And using auto white balance...I can take a pic of my black car and it looks dark blue, driveway it's parked on is correct.
I take another and the car looks dark green with driveway turning tan.

So if I wanted to show my car on the internet I'd have to tailor the white balance.
(it's why I use RAW when using an slr)

I suppose the point is when you want to show differences in beams and what it does to items...you at home may clearly see what it does to said item to use differing beam tints, but showing us may be tricky at best.

It's why you see statements by reviewers beam shots like "the beam on this shed is nowhere near this green"...ya know?

It snot the end of the world if your compare shots are perfectly white balanced...so long as you get your point across with words if need be.
Just be aware the pixel counters and nay sayers will critique you at times.

^^ here's an example of uv...
It shows a reflectorized collar without blowing out the photo.

Here's an example of a cool beam that appears warm until wb corrected.
Note what correcting the wb does to everything else...

^^ note the redish hue of said beam using awb

^^ this on the other hand is close to what I see at home.
Yet real life is somewhere in between.

And when taking pix indoors background lighting plays a huge role.

Last edited:

Latest posts