rechargeable D cells?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARe these Tenergy 10,000 MaH cells any good? There are lots of them on Ebay for around $5 each, or half the price of TCA 12,000 MaH

InfidelCastro

Banned
Archangel said:
In overall capacity, yes, but this will only be realized at very low current draw.

Yea, I think at the current draw of most reasonably bright flashlights, you would be much better off with the NIMH batteries.

I think the D Alkalines get their amp hour rating at like 100mA current draw or maybe even less.

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
One thing I like about the Maha is I'm able to charge the Tenergy's with out wasting a whole day doing it. Not that the price isn't "high" on the Maha, but it's a damn good charger that will last many years and In my mind about the only one to use for D cells beings it's the only one on the market that can charge them in 5-6 hours (especially since I tend to forget to charge them so it's great to be able to toss them in the Maha for a couple hours and have them topped off for the portable fan or whatever).

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc,

You don't say what you'll be using them for. All of my D cell usage is pretty light duty (LED lights and CD Boombox). I've been using the cheap Powerizer 9000-9500 mAH Ds from batteryspace.com with great success for years in the above applications. They are much, much cheaper than the high priced spread. If I were running incan mods I might be inclined to pay more, though. (I've also started using 7000 mAH NiCad Ds from Amondotech)

Consider this: If you spend top dollar on your cells, you should also have a top of the line charger -- one that not only will put the most into your cells, but also one that is gentle enough to protect your investment in cells by giving you the highest number of charge/discharge cycles possibe. On the other hand, if you use cheaper cells IMO you should also use the best charger(s) you can afford so you have a better chance of getting the most out of them. From my point of view it's easy to see that a cheap charger coupled with cheap cells may be very dissapointing.

Zyban said:
I use both the AccuManager 20 and the MAHA C808 to charge...
Me too. I like the AM2020 because it's gentle and will also run on 12V. I like the C808 because it's fastasgreasedlightning. They are both pretty high tech. The C808 has a charge rate of up to 2 Amps but because of PWM it keeps the cells very cool.

The weakest point of the C808 is it's lack of any meaningful Users Manual. Don't get me wrong, the Maha C808 is a great charger but if you get one, be prepared to search around CPF to find out things that are not even mentioned in the one page instructions like how to "force" conditioning mode and a few other things that some users will want it to do.

rdh226 said:
Can you (or anyone) tell me if the C808M will run off of a 12VDC source?
No, it won't.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got some CTA 12000mah and one of them turned out to be a total dud, didn't hold any charge no matter what I did. I got it discharged to 0.04V and even after I charged it started slowly discharging and about 10 days was again 0.04V. Others held their charge.

Quality problems. And they cost too much considering they are made in China.

Not going to get any more of those.

Are Powerex D cells made in Japan? They are currently the most expensive cells available.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sending it back certainly... But for more D cells, I am going to get to Tenergy 10,000 MaH or possibly Powerex.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the 7Ah NiCd D cells Sub Umbra found at Amondo are similar in quality to the Radio Shack Hi-Cap NiCds I've used since the 1980's, they might be better than high cap NiMH. Two batches of 4Ah NiCd cells from RS have each lasted over ten years. My present NiCd D cells are 14 years old and have not failed or leaked and the worst ones have 60% of new capacity. These have actually been used a lot at 2 - 4 amp discharge rates. Only recently have some shown reduced capacity or higher self-discharge.

For the price I have to wonder if a good NiCd is a better value and more electrically rugged than a marginally higher capacity NiMH cell in the D size? Seems like a good price for the Amondo NiCd cells.

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
I'v got some Titanium(brand) 11000mha nimh D's from amondo tech.There very heavy and expensive($10 per)but they seem to be very fine batteries.

ken2400

Enlightened
Try finding AA cell to D cell converters. The AA are the cheapest way to go since they seem to be the standard. Do they make 3 AA to D converters?

Good luck

etc said:
What are some good rechargeable (NiMH) cells?

Couldn't find anything in the 'shoot-out' threads... mostly AA stuff.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AA to D converters would reduce capacity, as a single AA cell is about 2700 MaH, so that 3 of them would be roughtly 8,000 MaH vs. 12,000 MaH for a rechargeable D cell or even more for an Alkaline.

LRE

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!
I have been a reader for a while... Thanks for all fine info and contributions!

Who will be the first to present C and D-cells of LSD type?
Sanyo Eneloop, Nexcell EnergyOn, Accupower Acculoop, and the Uniross Hybrio?

Thanks!
Lars

mdocod

Flashaholic
just throwing another experience on the pile:

I've been using tenergy brand cells, AAA, AA, C, and D size NIMH (got some 900mah, 2600mah, 5000mah, 10,000mah respectivally) for quite awhile around here..

I can say from my experience that for the money, these are a great deal. In fact- I have come to like my Tenergy cells over the Energizer brand NIMHs I have by a long shot- the energizers (2500mah AAs) self-discharge in about a week, whereas I have flashlights with tenergies in them, that haven't been charged up in months that still run bright. the tenergies I've worked with seem to have relativally low self-discharge rates. (still measuring ~1.36V after weeks off the charger). I've tested them for capacity in my own rudementary ways and can say that they come close to their rated values (within reason into various loads). (for example, running 3xC 5000mah in a LEDBeam, which draws about 1 amp on average, ran for almost exactly 5 hours before suddenly dimming down dramatically)

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I've been thinking the same thing myself. Wonder if the economics of it all would be worth it.

Perhaps the market for C, D etc NiMh is relatively small enough that even making them is borderline ... then doing the low discharge chemistry with these low(er) volume cells ... I wonder if the companies are even going to touch them for the time being?

Interesting to speculate.

LRE said:
Hi guys!
I have been a reader for a while... Thanks for all fine info and contributions!

Who will be the first to present C and D-cells of LSD type?
Sanyo Eneloop, Nexcell EnergyOn, Accupower Acculoop, and the Uniross Hybrio?

Thanks!
Lars

LRE

Newly Enlightened
What should we think about this????
Could be an adapter but it says battery...

hr-1utg-2bp.jpg

http://www.eneloop.info/fileadmin/templates/chargersTable.htmlhttp://www.eneloop.info/fileadmin/templates/chargersTable.html