Recommend me a 2 x AA light please

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
I'm looking for a 2 x AA light.

I held a nitecore one and while nice, I wasn't terribly impressed with the construction. Did not feel solid enough for me. Body felt a tad too thin.

Looked at some offerings from the Quark range and it looks like it might suffer from the same issues as well.

Is there any other viable alternative rather than the rather pricey SF E2L??

Would like to have at least L/H, or L/M/H modes. If it comes with funky disco modes like strobe and/or SOS, beacon, it's fine as well.

HAIII, tough body construction, reliable UI, XPG or XML, preferably below $100.

Does such a light exist???

Please recommend me one.

Thanks

Rexlion

Enlightened
You might like a Fenix TK20 if you can find a pre-loved one. They feel solid as a tank. Can't have mine, sorry... ;)

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
You might like a Fenix TK20 if you can find a pre-loved one. They feel solid as a tank. Can't have mine, sorry... ;)

Can't have mine either :nana:.While you can get lights with much better run-times, the build is very substantial the tint is fantastic. Downside is that they've been discontinued for a while now- For a more available, slightly slimmer version (with cool white tint) you could look at a Fenix E21.

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
Can't have mine either :nana:.While you can get lights with much better run-times, the build is very substantial the tint is fantastic. Downside is that they've been discontinued for a while now- For a more available, slightly slimmer version (with cool white tint) you could look at a Fenix E21.

Or there's the original (I think?) E21 with the NW XP-E. Pretty sure it does 154 lumens on high.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E21 is a solid performer. On two L91's I got about 14hrs on low mode for a runtime test. That's how long it was on for, and the cells read 1.39v and 1.38v, so there was probably a few hours left in it yet.

I highly recommend it as a simple, sturdy and reliable light.

SVARO

Newly Enlightened
Quark Tactical QT2A-X (CW tint with purple) can't be regret for all days in real life but it is not for throw, i have an older 123² with a xpe Q3 5A (throw better) since 3 years and after many falls and mistreatment there's only scratch and notch but no glass broken and always in function, i have just replace the oring and maintained with alcohol for good contact and silicone grease.

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Silversurfer

Enlightened
How about the ArmyTek Partner A2 XM-L? Built like a tank. Uncomplicated user interface. ~$45. Get the Armytek Partner A2 XP-G at the same time. Around the same price. For less than $100, if you can hold both at the same time you'll light up the night.

Tessaiga

Enlightened
A Little Red Dot 1 degree North of the Equator
Woah.... quite a fair bit of choices.

Thanks for chiming in. The Nitecore that I held as a MT2A.

Pity the TK20 is discontinued, looks to be a club of a flashlight.
EagleTac and Sunwayman looks to be in the same range as Nitecore.
Need something brighter than a Rayovac.
Haven't checked out ShiningBeam.

The ArmyTek lights are really interesting, follows the KISS approach to a T. I like them actually. Just wishing the low was lower.... :(

Wondering about FM's AA bodies for D26 drop-ins. 2 x AA will only give 3V. What kind of LED drop-in can that power? Most D26 drop-ins are configured for at least one li-ion, which means it's in the 3.7 - 4.2V range. Will 3V be able to power it up??

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Wondering about FM's AA bodies for D26 drop-ins. 2 x AA will only give 3V. What kind of LED drop-in can that power? Most D26 drop-ins are configured for at least one li-ion, which means it's in the 3.7 - 4.2V range. Will 3V be able to power it up??
Solarforce make about five different low voltage drop ins .8V to 4.2V, I use a Malkoff M31 219 in my bed side light with two AA Eneloops.

Norm

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite 2AA lights are my ShiningBeam Caveman.

I simple use a Surefire 9P with a Malkoff M31N XP-G2 and the battery sleeve. Only 1 mode though, but you get the best beam pattern. I like the thicker host.
I also have a Solarforce L2R and a Quark Tactical 2-AA. The Quarks use an XM-L can give you some options as far as legoing between the 1-AA and 2-AA body tubes, but they are thinner and not much choice of drop ins, as you must use their head/bezel. The Solarforce allows the use of D26/p60 type drop ins.
The ShiningBeam Caveman is also a very stout light that is similar to the Quark Turbo.

Last edited: