Recommend me an 18650

Ollie243

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

£60 roughly 100 USD

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Small enough to put in a back or coat pocket

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

Not to fussed providing the light has good runtime on low modes

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

I don't want to have to buy twice

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I absolutely love the sunwayman magnetic ring control. Failing that I am happy with simple low med high (turbo) I am not a fan of flashing modes not to say I want my light to be without them but as long as they are not on the main cycle or easily avoided.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).

I have looked at the following lights so far, read selfbuilts reviews and watched going gear youtube vids

Nitecore mt26
My girlfriends dad bought this light on my recommend and while I like it I don't like how the modes cycle and it just dosnt seem to kick out the lumens expected from a 800 lumen light, plus we just bought her brother one for Christmas and I really don't fancy us all having the same!!

Eagaltac d25lc2
Watched the vids on this and although it looks like a great light for the money I think there are lights that will be higher in quality for not much more money. Plus they don't have the simple UI that I am after.

Sunwayman v60c
A lot out of my price range (especially as I just quit my job today) is this torch of realistic size to pocket carry daily? Or is it more of a throw it in a bag torch?

Sunwayman v20c
I was really tempted by this and very nearly pulled the trigger on it however at 438 lumens it didn't have the 500-700 I am really looking for, I know it's not all about lumens and reflector etc have a big part to play anyone got this light and also got a 700 lumen light to compare?

As you can see I have looked at a few, I just wanted your opinions and advice I have looked at others but these 4 are the ones I have looked in depth at.

Many thanks!!

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get the Fenix PD32UE. That is currently my favorite 18650. I like the forward tactical switch. I like the hidden strobe and SOS. I like the XM-L LED. I like the side mode select switch. I like the NW tint on this one. I like the fact that it might hold its value if they don't make any more.

Ollie243

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you like it!!

Im not keen on side switch would really prefer forward click, that is one of the points that put me offthe eagtac because of its reverse tail clicky

mallakoff

Newly Enlightened
Hi , have a look at the Thrunite tn11s ,it has about 820 lumens on high .
it has a tail side mode switch with tail clicky , simple low ,med ,high ,strobe UI

markr6

Flashaholic
Sounds like you like it!! Im not keen on side switch would really prefer forward click, that is one of the points that put me offthe eagtac because of its reverse tail clicky

Yeah, if EagleTac had more forward clickies I would have several...to bad, they're almost perfect :(