Recommendations for a bombproof, waterproof CR123 thrower?

chanjyj

Enlightened
I've been searching hard for such a light, but haven't been able to find any that meets my criteria. Hence throwing the question to the CPF community. Maybe someone has a recommendation that I don't know of.

Personally I've come to the conclusion such a light does not exist - after months of searching I've still not found any.

Light Criteria
1. Bombproof
Doesn't need to be on the level of HDS and Barbolight, but it has to be better or equal to the Fenix TK/TA series.
I'm wary of Olight and Jetbeam after multiple failures from their various offerings, but if no other options present themselves then I will take a hard look at them.

2. Waterproof
Well, a high priority. I'd like it to be of HDS standard (20m), but I'm willing to accept Fenix's IPX8

N.B. Fenix's IPX8 = 1.5m for 1h, but I've personally tested it to be much deeper and longer.

I would like the dealer to state that it is either 'waterproof' or 'weatherproof to xx metres'. If the dealer doesn't state that, the light is out of this selection process.

One exception I will make is for certain lights (Surefire M2 comes to mind) that have a proven track record (proven = multiple sources, not 1 or 2 people chiming in saying their light is waterproof).

3. 150+ lumens
150+ lumens OTF minimum. If not OTF, then it needs to be 200+ lumens, to take into account light loss from reflector, glass etc.
Also consider that the light output may drop after start up time. 4sevens' Quarks come to mind, even though they are rated OTF for their XP-G R5 models (Their limited run XP-G S2 models are rated differently).

4. Takes RCR123s.

5. Small size, single cell.
Within 4.5 inches, CR123 based.

6. Would prefer TIR
Well, feel free to recommend a reflector based flashlight here, but I've a feeling that the body size requirements in point 5 will eliminate any reflector based contenders.

Well, that's about it. I've been looking hard at the Surefire E1B. Like the TIR optics, and the clip and size look just about right. Sadly, it fails my RCR123 test and waterproof test (I generally consider all Surefire 'E' and 'A2' lines not waterproof with the exception of the LX2 which is waterproof to 1m).

How far do I want it to throw? Use the Surefire E1B as a benchmark.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
What don't you like about the HDS clicky? Seems to be along the lines of what you are looking for except for the optics.

Matt7337

Enlightened
I'm going to throw the Nitecore Extreme R2 in there as a suggestion. I've tested my GDP version to higher than IPX8 standards, bashed and beaten it more than enough to be able to say it's robust and reliable and it throws a smooth beam a fair distance. I think it meets all the other requirements as well.

jellydonut

Enlightened
If I'm not confusing members, the OP has at least one HDS already. Since it is a reflector light I can only assume it doesn't throw enough for him.

Just wanted to post that, I don't have anything to add to the query, sorry. :(

Matt7337

Enlightened
Sorry, I missed the part about a TIR preference completely. I do still think the Nitecore throws farther than the HDS though.

chanjyj

Enlightened
What don't you like about the HDS clicky? Seems to be along the lines of what you are looking for except for the optics.
+1 this. It seems you are comparing each spec to the HDS so why not just get the HDS?

I do have the furthest-throwing HDS already (170T). But for some applications it's still not throwy enough.
I'm planning to EDC 2 torches, 1 specifically for throw, 1 general usage.

If HDS has one thrower I'd buy it no question asked. If only..

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Sorry, I missed the part about a TIR preference completely. I do still think the Nitecore throws farther than the HDS though.

Indeed it does. But I'm looking for a beam profile along the lines of the Surefire E1B or Jetbeam RRT2 (yes, the RRT2 is a reflector based light but its throw is sufficient for me. It doesn't meet any other criteria on the list here however).

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Check out the Elzetta ZFL-M60. It's bombproof, designed be weapon mounted, takes 2 Cr123, 17670, 3 CR123 with longer tube, has hi/lo, momentary, can be one-handed operation, uses the Malkoff M60 which is an optic, has 240lumens, throws 350ft, and it's waterproof but I don't know the rating. I'll get some more info for you, but I think this light suits your needs. Also the Malkoff MD2 with the same drop in or with the M61.

correction: the Elzetta is 235 not 240 lumens and I'm not sure of the actual throw of the M60 but the M61 is 350ft. The M60 is more throwier than the M61 so it would be at least 350 ft. The length of the EFL-M60 is 4.7 inches and the website only claims weatherproofness but I think it would at least meet IPX8.

I believe the M60 is no longer made by Malkoff and is now only available in the Elzetta. The new Malkoff drop INS use reflectors. The ZFL-M60 is brighter and throwier than my HDS Clicky. You can also use this drop in in most SF hosts or clones if you need to. The lego-ableness of the SF lights should have a combination that suits your needs. I've no experience in that regards so I'm hesitant to offer a combination.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Check out the Elzetta ZFL-M60. It's bombproof, designed be weapon mounted, takes 2 Cr123, 17670, 3 CR123 with longer tube, has hi/lo, momentary, can be one-handed operation, uses the Malkoff M60 which is an optic, has 240lumens, throws 350ft, and it's waterproof but I don't know the rating. I'll get some more info for you, but I think this light suits your needs. Also the Malkoff MD2 with the same drop in or with the M61.

correction: the Elzetta is 235 not 240 lumens and I'm not sure of the actual throw of the M60 but the M61 is 350ft. The M60 is more throwier than the M61 so it would be at least 350 ft. The length of the EFL-M60 is 4.7 inches and the website only claims weatherproofness but I think it would at least meet IPX8.

I believe the M60 is no longer made by Malkoff and is now only available in the Elzetta. The new Malkoff drop INS use reflectors,

Hey dude, thanks!

Never thought of host+light engine. A M60 module would be a great thrower. Now the quest is on to find a P60 bombproof, waterproof host that takes RCR123s.

Will take a hard look at the Elzetta. While it doesn't take 1 CR123 it's still small enough for my pocket.

M60s are still around here. Too bad they don't run in regulation on a single RCR123.

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Hey dude, thanks!

Never thought of host+light engine. A M60 would be a great thrower. Now the quest is on to find a P60 bombproof, waterproof host that takes RCR123s.

Will take a hard look at the Elzetta.

M60s are still around here. Too bad they don't run in regulation on a single RCR123.

I'm not sure which host will suit your needs, but the MD2 is obviously designed for these drop ins and it would be around the same length. I don't have the MD2 and the Malkoff site does not seem to have the dimensions listed. I suggest you post your questions in the Malkoff Junkie thread. There are more experienced people there than me.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff M30 ..... for single cell applications
but like the M60, no longer in production

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Another candidate is the Malkoff houndog with the 2 cr123 body. It's nit an optic but it throws 1000 ft and has 325 lumens. I have no idea of the dimensions. I estimate a 5 inch length.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forget what its called, fire something maybe, but someone makes a titanium p60 host....

chanjyj

Enlightened
Another candidate is the Malkoff houndog with the 2 cr123 body. It's nit an optic but it throws 1000 ft and has 325 lumens. I have no idea of the dimensions. I estimate a 5 inch length.

5 inch is pushing it a little. Although I did not specifically mention it in the original post, I was looking for a single cell light (therefore, 4.5" max).

This is due to the weight issue 2 RCR123s might pose as I would possibly mount this on a helmet for emergency use.
Unlike some folks who can mount a huge light on their helmet and feel nothing, I do feel the balance slightly shifting and can be rather sensitive to it. When trying to save lives and fight a fire, it sucks to feel (in my own words) "someone pulling down on one side of your head".

CLBME

Enlightened
Chanjyj- this is Malkoff's single cell 123 light called the Valiant Little Twisty. I have no experience with it however I don't think it's a thrower but for your reference anyway:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/...sty-1xcr123-with-lanyard-attachment-p-75.html

I don't have a ruler in front of me but the MD2 seems to be just over an inch longer than our HDS models. The head of the MD2 is wider than the HDS but the battery tube is the same diameter approximately. A great light.

There is a Malkoff post regarding the Hound Dog, which has a lot of information. MrGman is well versed in all of Gene Malkoff's modesl judging by his posts and videos. I'm sure he could answer your questions regarding them. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/284432

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be expensive and involved, but it's something I've been toying with...

You could pay a modder to create a new bezel for your Ra. At the same time, upgrade for an XR-E. The new bezel/reflector combo would allow for a deeper reflector, thus utilizing an XR-E to it's best.

You retain the ruggedness of the Ra design, and the UI, but gain a reversible mod that creates a further throwing light.

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
5 inch is pushing it a little. Although I did not specifically mention it in the original post, I was looking for a single cell light (therefore, 4.5" max).

This is due to the weight issue 2 RCR123s might pose as I would possibly mount this on a helmet for emergency use.
Unlike some folks who can mount a huge light on their helmet and feel nothing, I do feel the balance slightly shifting and can be rather sensitive to it. When trying to save lives and fight a fire, it sucks to feel (in my own words) "someone pulling down on one side of your head".

In that case, the Elzetta probably won't do. It's a surprisingly heavy light for it's size. It sounds like your best bet is the Valiant 1 x CR123 with the M31 as suggested by CLBME, or a M30 drop-in in a 1 cell host, e.g. 3P. I think both are hard to come by. I have seen a pic of someone withe the Valiant Twisty attached to a bike helmet. It's a different knid of helmet, I know, but it does show that it would be suitable.

MannyDLights

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to throw the Nitecore Extreme R2 in there as a suggestion. I've tested my GDP version to higher than IPX8 standards, bashed and beaten it more than enough to be able to say it's robust and reliable and it throws a smooth beam a fair distance. I think it meets all the other requirements as well.
The Nitecore Extreme R2 is a nice light ! I saw one on ebay FREE SHIPPING $49.99 i'm going to get it !!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NITECORE-INFINI...Flashlights&hash=item53e41ed72c#ht_3027wt_913

chanjyj

Enlightened
This would be expensive and involved, but it's something I've been toying with...

You could pay a modder to create a new bezel for your Ra. At the same time, upgrade for an XR-E. The new bezel/reflector combo would allow for a deeper reflector, thus utilizing an XR-E to it's best.

You retain the ruggedness of the Ra design, and the UI, but gain a reversible mod that creates a further throwing light.

:huh:

The cost of that :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint:

Even if I do that, I'm not sure how well it will fair against a dedicated thrower with TIR optics. The new reflector will help, but it's still limited by the 1" circumference.