Recommendations for a single 18650 EDC light?

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
I have an EagTac D25LC2 and a Nitecore MH10, both with a CREE XM-L2 U2 LED and use one 18650 3400 mAh cell. I love both but use the EagTac every single day for work - can't beat it. I think both fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Neither of your recommendations offer sub-Lumen modes (I.E. very low output modes that are under a Lumen) and can be very useful in certain situations. They are also much longer and heavier lights making them far less pocketable for EDC use.

The Zebralight SC64c (18650 Neutral White High CRI) for example, is only 3.64 inch (92.5 mm) in length and only weighs 1.3 oz (38 gram) without a battery. It also supports a much wider range of modes (as well as programmable ones), has a very nice high CRI output (93-95), and goes all the way from 900 Lumens down to 0.05 Lumens.

While the others are good lights, the Zebralight is in an entirely different class. (Think Porsche 911 instead of Toyota Camry.). Pick one up and find out for yourself. They are pretty amazing lights. There is a reason they are talked about and recommended so often here. :)

Last edited:

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I agree with ZL and recommended same above. I also have a PD35. It's a backup light for me as I'm not a fan of having a separate mode button (that can be difficult to feel on my Ver) or the cool tint. Much will depend on your UI preference.

Dingo07

Newly Enlightened
Neither of your recommendations offer sub-Lumen modes (I.E. very low output modes that are under a Lumen) and can be very useful in certain situations. They are also much longer and heavier lights making them far less pocketable for EDC use.

The Zebralight SC64c (18650 Neutral White High CRI) for example, is only 3.64 inch (92.5 mm) in length and only weighs 1.3 oz (38 gram) without a battery. It also supports a much wider range of modes (as well as programmable ones), has a very nice high CRI output (93-95), and goes all the way from 900 Lumens down to 0.05 Lumens.

While the others are good lights, the Zebralight is in an entirely different class. (Think Porsche 911 instead of Toyota Camry.). Pick one up and find out for yourself. They are pretty amazing lights. There is a reason they are talked about and recommended so often here. :)

True neither offer sub-Lumen modes however, the OP asked for something that has more than 500 Lumens. I will look into what you suggested for my own use, thanks!

ven

Flashaholic
I think I'm going to give the Fenix PD35 V2.0 a try. Thanks for the recommendations.

This meets nothing in your criteria, not only does it have strobe, also SOS and 5 levels. Also Chinese which originally USA preferred (presume edited).

The pd35 is a decent light in its own way, just far from what you originally wanted. Any reason for the change?

:)

Climb14er

Enlightened
Get the Zebralight SC62... a steal at $59.00, uses protected or unprotected cells, strong 1000 plus lumen beam, variable settings, lightweight, thin, disappears in pocket, reliable... the best of the ZL's or any other small light I've ever bought. Very highly recommended.

DaveTN

Newly Enlightened
This meets nothing in your criteria, not only does it have strobe, also SOS and 5 levels. Also Chinese which originally USA preferred (presume edited).

The pd35 is a decent light in its own way, just far from what you originally wanted. Any reason for the change?

:)
:D I don't have it yet but it appears to meet all my needs.

I didn't post USA preferred I posted "Quality Mfg". Although I would prefer American made. I see Fenix getting pretty good review's on here, are they not a quality Mfg.?

I didn't say it couldn't have a strobe; I just didn't need one. With the mode button being separate; it appears to shift modes easily if needed. But maybe not.

I would like:
LED, 500 lumens or more. (CHECK)
Can use one 18650 Button Top battery. (CHECK)
About .75 to 1" in diameter. (CHECK)
I'd like a simple fast high, low. I don't need strobe. (okay, iffy on that)
Reputable Mfg. (CHECK)
Around $100 or less. (CHECK)

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
Well, you could have done worse I guess. Still a shame you're settling for a rather mediocre light though as far as your EDC criteria goes.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Nothing wrong with the PD35. You've got a lot of good suggestions here for your next light and non of us can get just one.

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the explanation Dave, fair enough, i just had 2 mode hi/low and USA in mind.

Must admit though, i much prefer the E2e fed on 16650 fuel
tripLED 219b and h17f(can program to what mode amount from 1-7, and program each level of what you picked, also 2 groups. I tend to have a single mode set, do it all. Then a low/med/hi group with the low being enough to use as single mode, with no memory. So i always know what its starting on having 3 levels.
singLED comes in around $80 ish, again 219b 5000k
7gm6p7Yl.jpg

Down the line, i would have a look if you want to get back into your E2e(one of my fav lights )
Zebra.............well these are great lights tbh. Super compact, bright to even near 2500lm dependent on model.
The sc62(pictured and sc62d) are awesome lights...............very compact for 18650 and lots of mode options which can be tweaked. Latest drivers take it a step further. Allowing you to program them how you like out of the 12 levels. So you could set each level the same for a single mode, or swap them about, so 1 click on could be H1 or L1 etc etc etc

Yes like zebra's a lot
ngtxCV3l.jpg

PD35
Ut2WL3vl.jpg

Used it a bit, but as my taste changed(fussy) the cold white wore thin with the original pd35, much prefer neutral most of the time. It is a classic, in fact the bench mark for an 18650 light imo going back 5yrs or so.
PD35vn quad
9jb0tNel.jpg

Enjoy!

Mikeg23

Enlightened
As a person who has carried an E2e with various different upgrades for well over a dozen years, I can say nothing can possibly be better! However, I have a bunch of lights laying around that have tried to replace the E2e and I do really like the UI of the Pd32 and Ld12 especially with the newest Ld12 having a neutral tint.

My E2e went from MN03 bulb, to Strion bulb, to lumens factory bulb, to M61HCRI, and currently on M61N though I'm really eyeballing lumens factory warm head unit... these all have ran on a protected AW 17670 but I guess those aren't around anymore. Hope you enjoy the new light!

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the OP's requirements and that he's used to Surefire quality, I have to suggest a Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring. It has USA-made quality and service, the perfect UI, is built to last a lifetime and 425 lumens is close enough.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I agree that the Md2 UI is great but it's a bit big for pocket carry I carry 6P size lights on my belt... Now the Surefire tactician would be the same UI and be more similar to E2e size not sure if there all sold out or not?

davemp

Newly Enlightened
How about the Olight S2 Baton. It takes 1 18650 battery. It's 4.05" long/ 0.90" head dia/ 0.85" body dia. Has four lumen settings- 950/ 400/ 80/ 10/ 0.5 with side switch operation. The cost is $50.00......davemp

Last edited: