Recommendations on a replacement for a Spyderco Endura?

brucec

Enlightened
Hi Everyone,
I was looking at my trusty old Spyderco Endura the other day and was thinking I should probably retire it. It's handled all of my camping, moving box cutting, and general purpose knife tasks since 1996 without so much as a cleaning or lube job, just the occasional sharpening and rinse in the sink. I even used it on a dive trip once after I couldn't find my Ti dive knife.
Anyway, I was thinking I could probably get a new main utility knife. Thanks to you guys, I bought a small Sebenza which is great as a general travel or in the home knife. But I want something a little bit larger for camping. I guess I could just get another Endura (4th generation now?), but that seems kind of boring. I took a look around knifecenter and newgraham, but man, are there a LOT of knives! I think it's going to take me forever to click through everything and actually understand the differences. Can you guys help me out with some recommendations?

-About 4" blade
-Non-aggressive styling.
-Non-assisted opening. I bought a Kershaw Leek for my office and it is cool, but still kind of freaks me out when I open and close it.
-Framelock or linerlock. No lockback like the Endura. My wife is fine with framelocks, but is somehow afraid of the lockback on my Endura. I don't know how many times I've come home to find that Endura locked open and lying on a table or even on the floor somewhere! :eek:
-Plain blade with no serrations. My Endura is partly serrated near the back, so maybe she is afraid of that and not the lockback? :shrug: Better to avoid both.
-G10 handles would be nice. Is carbon fiber any good, or is it just about looks? I don't know, it doesn't look like it would handle knocks as well.
-Not too thick or heavy. I like the Sebenza in small, and I also looked at the Umnamzaan, but it looks a bit too much on the tank side for me. Or maybe it's just the pictures and the real thing isn't as big. From the pictures I've seen of it, the XM-18 looks too heavy duty for me.
-I have a hard time cutting things well with a tanto style blade.
-Price cutoff is around $200, although I would be willing to consider up to $400 for some titanium.

Thanks,
Bruce

brucec

Enlightened
I already have a mini-Griptilian. I like the Rift. I don't typically like tantos because of that trapezoidal tip which makes cutting fruit and stuff a bit weird. The curved part of the Rift looks good though and it still has a kind of chisel end too.

I was looking at the Spyderco Military and Stretch. What do you guys thing of those? Are carbon fiber handles durable compared to G10?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd get the Endura4.
I came full circle after thousands and thousands of dollars worth of carry folders. Started with Spyderco and Benchmade, tried a few customs and Sebenzas along with some other high quality productions, then went back to Spydercos and Benchmades.
My EDC is a BM 940Ti, and it's about to go back to Benchmade due to a broken Axis spring, just like my 710HS did twice in the past.
Now, unless someone just wants something different or has needs that really dictate a fixed blade, I recommend a lightweight lockback Spyderco. Spend less and you're taking a drop in quality or materials, any more and you're not gaining much functional advantage.
Like you said "boring"...but practical.

The foliage green G-10 Endura is nice if you want something different. The fully flat ground blade is a real cutter, though the tip isn't as stout as the ones with sabre ground blade. I had one, it was just too big to replace the 940Ti. My most recent purchase was the Delica4, simply because it was a smaller version of the Endura. Kind of wish I'd gotten the full flat foliage green G-10 model, and still might.

brucec

Enlightened
Wow, that's a lot of Axis locks that had to go back for repairs. Is that a common problem? I haven't had any issue with my small Griptilian yet. Regarding Spyderco, what is the difference between the Delica and Paramilitary? They look almost the same to me.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lockback vs. compression lock (which I dislike), different steel, sabre grind vs flat grind, frn handle vs. g10 etc. The handle on para is also very oversized like military.

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I'd get another Endura. If you 've had that great of luck, why change?? You may get a second knife since you do have a nice budget.

nathan310

Newly Enlightened
without a doubt small sebenza 21 w/ micarta inlays. IMO it is better to have a tank of a knife and not need it than to need a tank in a emergency situation and not have it. i have a couple small sebbies they are very pocket friendly. they easily fit in the back pocket witha large wallet and are easy to take out and put back in even when im sitting in my car. not too mention there are many other reasons to get one too.theyre great cutters, weigh under 3ounces with out lanyard,awesome warraanty, CRK will refurb it for you once you beat the crap out of it, decent resale value if you decide to sell it, extremely easy to take apart,clean and reassemble(they even give you a wrench with it) excellent fit and finish, the way the pivot is constructed virtually eliminates all of the usual problems i could go on but you get the idea.

most of these people agree

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669622

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
without a doubt small sebenza 21 w/ micarta inlays. IMO it is better to have a tank of a knife and not need it than to need a tank in a emergency situation and not have it. i have a couple small sebbies they are very pocket friendly. they easily fit in the back pocket witha large wallet and are easy to take out and put back in even when im sitting in my car. not too mention there are many other reasons to get one too.theyre great cutters, weigh under 3ounces with out lanyard,awesome warraanty, CRK will refurb it for you once you beat the crap out of it, decent resale value if you decide to sell it, extremely easy to take apart,clean and reassemble(they even give you a wrench with it) excellent fit and finish, the way the pivot is constructed virtually eliminates all of the usual problems i could go on but you get the idea.

most of these people agree

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669622

I agree. I EDC a small Sebbie and I find it very easy to carry and use.

nathan310

Newly Enlightened
I apologize I misread your original post. You already have a small sebbie. Salt was a good recomendation. I would also recommend a look at Jim galyeans large jyd proseries(semi custom) or some custom knives also. Those are the only knives I have found even close to the quality of a sebenza.

brucec

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think these are the front runners for me.

Spyderco Endura G10
Spyderco Stretch carbon fiber
Umnumzaan

I think most of you guys are in the Endura boat, right?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like that Stretch, too, even if it's not going to win many beauty contests. Looks like a great knife.
Anywhere you could handle them side by side to see which is more comfortable?
At worst you could order both, then send one back.

brucec

Enlightened
I like that Stretch, too, even if it's not going to win many beauty contests. Looks like a great knife.
Anywhere you could handle them side by side to see which is more comfortable?
At worst you could order both, then send one back.

Actually, I think pretty much all Spydercos are ugly. Reliable and great to use, but where they come up with all of those weird curves, angles, and humps is beyond me.

If you can afford the Umnumzan, get it!

Actually, I was thinking I'll just get that. But I kind of wanted a plastic or carbon fiber knife.

Spyderco Sage II. The blade is only 3", but it's a titanium framelock and very well made.

The Sage II looks very nice, but I already have a small Sebenza. They seem kind of the same.

Latest posts